Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-01-2004, 12:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
Wiring Diagram for Acc-1 Switch

My heater is hooked up to Acc-1 rocker switch which is a two position switch (on and off). The heater has three wires which controls the fan speed, yellow-low, red=med, and orange=high. The Acc-1 rocker switch uses the red/medium. I thought it might be nice to be able to have two fan speeds, med and high, so I went to the dealer and bought a switch which is three position rocker switch that match my other switches and is similar to the bilge switch, e.g. rocker position in the middle is off, rocker position up manual bilge, and rocker position botton is automatic bilge. This switch is black and has a small circular green light on the upper part of the rocker switch. On the back of the rocker switch there are 5 male prongs. I can't for the life of me figure out what all these prongs are for. Anyone have a wiring diagram or input how to hook this up for the application I set forth above. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I can't help you on the switch (it's been too long since I installed my heater).

I hooked mine up so the acc1 turned the voltage on or off to the 4 position (off-low-med-high) rotation switch that came with the heater.

Having said all that - If I were to do it again, I'd forget about about the rotating switch & wire it up to high all the time. We have NEVER used anything but high in the 3 years of owning a heater.

sorry I couldn't answer your question directly.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
I can't imagine using anything but high either but I would imagine that the five prongs are batt+, GND and the three desired speeds low, Med, High......but i could be wrong.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Do you know what type of switch it is?

Like, DPDT or SPDT

A picture of the back would help.

I would guess it is a SPDT three way rocker if it only has 5 terminals. I would also guess that you will only be able to use two of the speeds (sounds like medium and high are the way to go). Your upper most and lower most terminals shoud connect to your desired fan speeds. The two inner terminals should connect to your source +, and the last terminal probably off to the right should be your ground for the indicator light.

This is my best guess not seeing the back of the switch. A Fluke would be ideal for testing if you have access to one.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
Agree with Diesel.. without seeing/playing with it, it's hard to tell.

two of the terminals may be for the indicator light, allowing you to choose what circuit lights it up, making it a single-pole double throw, or, it could be single-pole, triple throw as Diesel describes..

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-01-2004, 07:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Neil & Diesel,

Pictures attached, however, I don't see any reference to the brand/manufacturer of the switch.

Top of Switch from behind

X X
X X
...X

I did hook up my Fluke, and probed for continuity, but honestly, I never really understood how to use that device Here is what I was able to figure out. Taking the same prong layout as above with alpha letters

A B
C D
...E

1. With rocker switch in up position, continuity results with the Fluke (-) lead on E, (+) on D, A and C;
2. With rocker switch in down position, continuity results on A and C and B and D
3. With rocker switch in middle position (off), continuity results of A and C.

All in all, this means nothing to me whatso ever,.

Last edited by Kell; 09-02-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: ,88 Prostar 190
Kell,

This is interesting. First a couple questions -- 1. Do you know what the function of the light is? (Is it supposed to go when you turn on your NAV lights, or when you turn on the heater?) 2. Are you sure you checked continuity right in #1 ? Sure you didn't short across anything?

I think A & C go across your light -- that's why you always have continuity. I'm a little confused about #1, I think you should see D to E and A to C (maybe that's what you're saying)

So, I think the hookup should be:

A: Switched hot from Nav lights
B: Output 1 to heater (on in down position)
C: Ground
D: Hot all times
E: Ouput 2 to heater (on in up position)

if you don't want the light to light up, you don't need to worry about hooking up nodes A and C.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
Kell,

I think Handycm's got it right. A&C are for the lamp. D is where your + power is supplied, leaving you B&E to connect to the heater.

If you do connect up the light, connect it up to the orange, since I'm sure that "high" is the only fan speed you'll ever use...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-02-2004, 01:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hardycm and Neil, thanks so much for your help. hardycm, I not sure about #1 as well, but I think the both of you figured it out. The switch is just like the Nav/anchor switch and the auto bilge switch, only difference I can tell is that the bilge switch, when in the auto position, the little green light does not light up, probably so you don't drain your battery if you leave your boat in the water for extended period. The nav/anchor light switch will glow green in the up or down position of the rocker, which is how I would like to hook it up for the heater function. Yes, I want to have the high fan speed (orange wire from the heater) operate when the rocker is in the up position, and the med fan speed (red wire) when the rocker is in the down position, both of which will make the green light glow so I know it is on.

I took a peak at the other switches from the dash, and if you have not looked at them before, you won't beleive how they've done it. There are lots of jumper wires from switch to switch (in series) and is quite confusing. I'm not going to mess with any of those so I'll try to wire the new switch independantly or just bag if I can't figure it out and just hook the existing switch to the orange wire for hign fan speed only. Thanks again for the help, and I'll let you all know if I'm successful.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Sorry I didn't check back sooner but it looks like the guys have you going in the right direction.

Good luck...................