Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-11-2012, 03:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X-Star
2004 X-Star Starboard/Port not filling

I have a 2004 X-Star. For some reason the Rear and Starboard ballasts are not filling. The KGB/Center ballast fills and empties without issue. We checked all the impellers and they look good. All three pumps appears to work just no water is getting to the two rear ballasts pumps. Is there a seperate valve for these?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:47 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
The water is fed from the block manifold to all 3 pumps. You can remove each pump cover and watch the impellers spin. Maybe you have a blockage somewhere?

What color are your impellers? Green ones work the best.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:04 PM
TT Regular

The impellers are all yellow and look relatively new. The previous owner must have replaced them recently.

The pumps look like they are working and the center one is pulling water. We had been trying only to fill the two rear tanks, is there a filling order as in the center one needs to be filled first or all of them at the same time to make sure there is enough water being pulled through the manifold? The problem seems that the two rear pumps are getting any water?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X Star
Hmm, is there a kinked hose somewhere after the manifold?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
TT Regular

Just a follow up, thanks for all the suggestions. The ballast appears to be working now. Major problem appears that I was playing with the ballast either with the engine off or at idle. Reading the manual (which I should have done in the first place) I should have had the boat at about 1200rpms. Also a couple other tips I gleaned from here: starting the kgb first and then the port/starboard fill after kgb starts filling, hitting empty and then fill.