Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Hydrofoil in-boat storage tips?

An assembled hydrofoil sure does take up a lot of room in the boat. I see the utility of a tower and rack, but I don't want a tower. Does anyone have and clever tips, tricks, or storage rack concepts that might keep the foil secure but still leave room for people to move around in a non-tower V-drive (230VRS)?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 205
My brother in law has designed a "holder" made of PVC that holds the blade of the wing. It was designed to fit on the railing if you have one. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of it yet. Will post it as soon as I get it. Works very well
Old 08-30-2005, 10:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
They are pretty awkward......I've found the best seems to be taking the thing apart. The strut/foil assembly and the board can lay flat on the floor, one behind the driver seat and the other behind the motor box. You still have to step over stuff while you move around in the boat but at least I don't worry about the hydrofoil sliding or falling and cutting the seats or chipping the gel coat.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:29 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel_Lake_Skier
They are pretty awkward......I've found the best seems to be taking the thing apart. The strut/foil assembly and the board can lay flat on the floor, one behind the driver seat and the other behind the motor box. You still have to step over stuff while you move around in the boat but at least I don't worry about the hydrofoil sliding or falling and cutting the seats or chipping the gel coat.
Sigh...yep, that's what I've been doing. I was hoping someone would know of a clever rack that mounts without tools in about 30 seconds and secures the board completely out of the way, swivels in for putting the boat away, and costs $50 or less.

Maybe I was being a little optimistic...?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
Sigh...yep, that's what I've been doing. I was hoping someone would know of a clever rack that mounts without tools in about 30 seconds and secures the board completely out of the way, swivels in for putting the boat away, and costs $50 or less.
Exactly what I want; and I have a friend with a new TIG welder who wants to build something (he's built two recumbent bicycles so far, and is looking for a new challenge). We've talked about it a few times; I'd like something that mounts to the gunwale or the railing, that hinges down so you can attach the ski in the water and lever it up to it's final position.

Of course, we're pretty lazy, so we may just talk about it for the next few years. We do that a lot.

/frank
Old 08-31-2005, 01:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
We've riden in quite a few v-drives where they stored 2 skis sitting on top of the engine cover, on the side, seat inward, foil over the back seat. The boat seems to pivot from that point so it doesn't toss the skis out in pretty choppy conditions.

Plus another one upside down in the bow, foil sticking straight up.

The fact that you don't have or want a tower really limits you.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky

The fact that you don't have or want a tower really limits you.
Yeah, I know. A tower would be nice for several reasons, but for my use, I'm not sure it's worth the expense (not to mention the fact that my wife TELLS me it's not worth the expense). In addition to the cost of the tower, I'd have to spend $1500+ to modify my boat lift to accomodate the tower. The boat is never off the lake all summer and I need to be able to store it up tight under the canopy to keep the weather out.

I'm not sure the hassles of hanging a canopy skirt in the spring and taking it down in the fall, nor the hassles of taking the tower down up and down every time I take the boat out outweigh the hassles of stepping over the hydrofoil, and at this point, it's probably easier to just swing by my dock and drop off the foil if I have a boatload of people. If I were trailering, or were spending all day on a lake where I didn't live, I'd probably feel differently. My son is a TIG welder and trained chassis-fabricator. When he gets back from school, I'll get him working on some kind of rack system. Maybe we can figure something out.

>
Old 08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
I have seen a guy on Norris that puts the assembled chair into the rear storage on the pass side of the boat. He has the hatch open with the chair sitting foil down in side and the chair part sits on the seat