Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 MariStar 230VRS w/ LT-1
Maristar 230 Sun Deck

I have a 1999 Maristar 230VRS. My Sun deck / engine cover is starting to get several small rip/tears in it, and I would like to get it recovered. I am concidering getting it reupholstered like the "stock" look by a upholstery shop, or buying a good grade of Marine vinyl and recovering it in one color ( as opposed to the 3 stock colors) myself over the winter. Does anybody have any experience in this and have any suggestions? The stock pattern has a lot of sewn in lines and I feel that they weaken the vinyl with the holes that the sewing makes ( that is where most of the rips/tears are appearing). Is there anywhere that the "skin" is available, or is my only option custom reuphostery, or doing it myself? Any advice is surely appreciated!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
I haven't had any experience with them, but many others on here talk about mastercraftskins.com. You might search for this on here to see what feedback has been, but if my memory serves me correctly most have been pretty happy with them. I think you have to take your old vinyl off and send it to them and they will make an exact match.

I'm kind of curious too, because I could see having to replace some skins in a couple of years. I have a Maristar 230 as well and am also curious how hard it would be to make the sundeck 3 separate pieces like the newer models. I really don't like the one solid piece as it has caused some cracks in the gel coat from excessive weight.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Maristar 210
I too would like to convert my sun deck to a 3 piece! Keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '98 MariStar 200VRS 350 TBI
1pc Sundeck Conversion to 3pc Config

I too am interested in possible conversion of my 1pc sundeck ('98 200VRS) to the 3pc configuration found on 2001? and later Maristars. I already rebuilt & reskinned my 1pc sundeck myself years ago after it blew open and tore itself up while trailering on the road. What a mess. Fortunately back then I could still get a replacement skin from MC. I sourced a honeycomb panel on my own and put the thing back together myself using the old foam padding w/ replacement honeycomb panel and upholstery. I sent MyCabinFever a PM yesterday asking if he ever posted pics of his '04 210VRS 3pc sundeck latch and hinge details after reading a thread he started in 2011 where he said he would post this detail for someone who was asking about it. I cannot find anything like this posted by him or anyone else. I can make sense of how the 3pc sundeck works except for details of the latching mechanism for the port and starboard storage locker hatch covers. There appears to be no exposed topside latch mechanism or grab handles for them. I'm also wondering if these two hatch covers are lockable. The center section appears to be hinged and latched just like our current 1pc sundecks.