Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Calling all X9 / 209 Owners

How do you get your rear seat bottom to stay in place!!!?

Our X9 has been great, 300 trouble free hours of boarding, skiing and footing in 3 years. However, the rear seat design SUCKS! it won't stay in place and always slides out. Shorter people (girls) like to step onto the seat to get in the boat when it is floating in the slip. If they don't step in the very back of the seat, it flips out on them.

If the ledges where the seat rests extended 4-6" more from the stern, there would be no problem. How have others fixed this issue?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-9; LQ9
I put some white velco (self stick / adhesive type) on the fiberglass where the seat base rests, and stapled the other half of the velcro to the underside of the seat base. It worked OK, but not perfect.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 209
What year model are you referring to? I have a 2001 and the rear seat has a rubber cord attached to the bottom of the seat that clips to side of the boat under the seat.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Mine had the rubber cords. Unfortunately they do not hold at highway speeds lol and it got in the way of my bags. After that incident I had my upholstry guy make the seat a lil bit larger to "not move around". The velcro idea is a good one but I can't imagine that holding up long with heat etc.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006, X9, MCX
My 06 X9 has 2 pieces of 1" square tubing screwed to the bottom front that run almost the length of the seat, making a channel. When in place the channel fits over the carpeted board that runs across in front along the bottom. I would take pics, but the boat is covered and not accessible at this time.

When in use, we usually have our seat bottom up on the top (sitting on the SS grab handles), in the sun deck position, with the fatsac full. Except for the loss of seating space, we much prefer it in this position anyway.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-9
I have the rubber straps to hold the seat in place. That said, i have never used them, the seat is a very snug fit. Not once have I had problems with it moving. I think the support rails are pretty significant in length.

You got the seat shoved all the way in? Mine kind of catches the underside of the rear seat backrest, but I put a good "shove" on it to be sure its back as far as it can go.

The vinyl did give out on me last year though.......
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM
MC Devotee

I do 'shove' mine it. It is always prone to slide out. I see where the rubber straps are supposed to hook, but I don't have them.

I had a few seams split early this spring, went ahead and had the seat redone. Rest of the boat interior is in really good shape.

When there is just a driver and 1 or 2 passengers, I'll raise the seat and fill my 750lb sack. Otherwise, we're better off to have the sack 1/2 full and 3 people occupying the back seat.

If ratchet straps were made small enough, one on each side to hold the seat back would do the trick.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Maybe it's the redone upholstery that's the problem?

Mine never slides out (of course now that I said that... ) but mine has the original upholstery and it's a pretty snug fit. It's kind of a tug to get it out of the lower seat position to put up in the swim deck position, and I have to push it in pretty firmly to get it "seated" in the lower spot.

If your new vinyl is stretched tight with not much padding/foam to create a snug fit against the vinyl on the sides, maybe...?
Just thinking out loud.

I think the straps are to keep the seat bottom from becoming airborne, mostly when it's in the swim deck position. That's just my take on it since I haven't found any info on their use.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-9
My X9 with factory upholstery fits in tight under the seat back and does not move with the clips only holding it in place when in the up right position.

You should have a place to clip to the side of the boat and the underside of the seat. If not ad it back and at trip to the hardware store should take care of it...
Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
MC Devotee

Seat slid out before I had the upholstery redone... although it is worse since then.

I am seriously surprised to find that everyone doesn't have this problem.

Anyone have a picture of the stock rubber straps?