Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-27-2016, 12:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft Xstar 5.7L
Adding integrated bow ballast??

Hi,

I want to add a ballast bag under the bow seats to my 2001 xstar. I dont want to drill through the hull and run pumps and hoses if I dont have to though. And I dont really want to toss a portable pump over everytime.

My question is, can I make use of the stock center ballast bag system? Tie into the fill and empty lines with a shut off valve to each bag. So start filling and when one is full close the valve to it and continue filling the other bag.

What is everyones thoughts on this? Anyone done it?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2016, 12:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorrex View Post
Hi,

I want to add a ballast bag under the bow seats to my 2001 xstar. I dont want to drill through the hull and run pumps and hoses if I dont have to though. And I dont really want to toss a portable pump over everytime.

My question is, can I make use of the stock center ballast bag system? Tie into the fill and empty lines with a shut off valve to each bag. So start filling and when one is full close the valve to it and continue filling the other bag.

Thanks
Wakemakers actually makes an overflow kit for this assuming you already have a bag in the ski locker. Just piggyback off the center bag, run the vent lines, and you are good.

https://www.wakemakers.com/mastercra...st-system.html
Old 05-27-2016, 12:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft 08 x1 RTP 310
I would call Wakemakers and tell them what you are trying to do. They can walk you through the process. They have top notch service and will give you a discount for being a TT member. I have an 08 X1 with the same hull. I was able to use a piggyback system to add an integrated bow bag to the center ski locker bag. It works great.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I have a one in, two out selectable ball valve that is hooked to my center bag fill pump and my bow bag. When the center fills, I just switch the ball valve and fill the bow bag. I have reversible pumps though. I think you probably have aerator pumps, so it may not be so easy.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:35 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
I have a one in, two out selectable ball valve that is hooked to my center bag fill pump and my bow bag. When the center fills, I just switch the ball valve and fill the bow bag. I have reversible pumps though. I think you probably have aerator pumps, so it may not be so easy.
Ya mine are aerator pumps. I think I could tie the overflow from the center bag to the intake of the bow bag. But I don't know how I would drain it. It might be just easier to get a portable pump I think.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
I have the IBS from Wakemakers. Came with hoses and fittings to plumb into the KBS (ie. center bag.) The KBS vent goes to the IBS rather than to the thru-hull overflow. Works like a charm -- KBS fills first, then overflows into the IBS. You can tell when its full because the front cup holders begin popping up.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 x-30, 6.2, gen2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorrex View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Is the stock a bag or hard tank? and is it aerator style pump?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-Star, 330 LTR
Stock ski locker ballast is a bag. Ibs is aftermarket add on.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-Star, 330 LTR
Depending on year it could be either an aerator or impeller type pump. For 2001 pretty sure it was an aerator.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:34 PM
TT Newbie

Yes it's all aerator pumps. And the rear ballasts were tanks but I put in sumo sacs.

Tags
ballast, bow