Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Jon_thornton

Diminishing returns on wave due to overweight on x45?

Hey Guys....is it possible to overweight a boat to the point where it negatively impacts the wave?

This past week spent quite a bit of time trying to get my 2010 x45 gen 1 wave dialed in.
Originally started with 1050 lbs in each rear locker, kgb full 500 lbs, and an 800 lbs bag full centered lengthwise on the rear sealing area floor for a total of 3400lbs.

We are in high altitude with stock prop, so the boat would top out at 10 mph.
On board were 2 adults on board and 4 small kids.

The wave was mushy and never really had a defined lip.
Which made it ok for a softie longboard to mess around on, but was challenging for slim style surfing.

When I half emptied the both rear lockers, got rid of 500 lbs each, the wave cleaned up a bit, but never was great like in some of the pics I've seen from you all.

Do you think it's a speed thing (get to 11mph) or weight placement or do gen 1 tabs just not cut it and I need to invest in a device?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X-45 6.0L
I'm not 100% sure but I've mostly read that the Gen 1 tabs were almost useless/didn't make much of a difference and not worth having. I'd go buy a GoSurfAssist setup - the inventor (Ryan) has an X45 and his wave looks incredible!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Jon_thornton

Thanks for the thoughts.
Spoke to Ryan a year ago and he was super helpful and a total sweetheart of a guy, but I'm in so cal and he didn't have anyone here that could do the install.
And I'm not too keen on drilling into the hull of my boat.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Yes, I think that you can't get to 11 mph is most likely your issue. My boat usually gets a good port wave at 10.2-10.4 and a good starboard wave at 10.8-11.0. The other issue could be your swim platform. If it's dragging into your wave that could be creating the issue. I'd be a real pain to get into the boat but you could take the platform off to test that. If that was the issue you could get just swim platform brackets from Ryan @ GSA. No drilling into the gel required for that.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45 finally better then x-10
With gen one your gonna still have to list the boat. And don't use the center tab. Although I'll do 15 percent on goofy side to help form a lip. Here is my 45 with GSA.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
I have a 45. Try the DIY Wake Shaper in the active thread. I run about 10.0 with similar weight. With that kind of weight I dont use Gen 1 except SOMETIMES to use the port side tab with port weight to divert the water under the platform. No center tab. I weight evenly now.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=70442
Old 07-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Jon_thornton

Thanks guys.
Just ordered a lower pitched prop from wakemakers and will mess around with my friend's delta.
Appreciate the feedback
Old 07-22-2016, 07:22 PM
Jon_thornton

Is the problem with gen 1 tabs sucking due to the minimal surface area?
Or is it more than that?

If it is surface area, has anyone experimented with adding area to it!?
I.e. Attaching a plastic cutting board or something of the like to add length and width?

Tags
ballast question, surf, wake shaper, x45