Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-27-2015, 06:23 PM
TT Newbie
Boat: 06 mastercraft X30
2006 x30 port pump not working

as the title states, I have a 2006 x30 that the port ballast pump has stopped working. Checked the pump and it is not the problem. I can switch the pum connections and ip the pump works fine. At the port pump connection, I get 13volts when turned on at the switch until I put the pump load on it, then I get millivolts. Checked the connections at the switch and they seem good. Is there a ballast controller box on the 2006 x30's? If so,can someone point out where it's at? Otherwise, is there somewhere else I should be checking connections. I will buy a new switch but I want to make sure it's the issue first.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 PM
TT Regular
Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-35 LY6
Don't have an X-30 but on the 35 the pump timers are concealed in a black box on bulkhead that divides port rear locker from storage are where batteries are. Each one has a circuit breaker so you may want to check those and see if it pops when you put load on system. Hope that helps!
Old 07-28-2015, 12:17 AM
TT Enthusiast
Boat: 2006 X30, MCX 350 w/ GoSurfAssist
I had this same problem on my 06 X30 when I bought it except mine was half the functionality from my port pump and half the functionality from my KGB pump. One would fill but not empty and the other would empty but not fill. I also knew it was not the pump because if I took the power from my STBD pump and put it on either of the other ones, it worked fine.

I went about diagnosing this the hard way. First, I replaced the guages / switches panel. No change.

Second I replaced the ballast control / relay panel. No change.

Finally, I replaced the wiring harness between the guages / switches and the ballast relay panel and boom that was it. They pinched the harness between the fiberglass top of the back seats and the ski pylon support when they installed it and I guess compromised those 2 specific wires.

Anyway, I went most expensive to cheapest - suggest you try it the other direction. Hope this helps. I was able to pick all this stuff up at Great Lakes Skipper - note the ballast harness was not the exact same revision so I ended up having to change out the wires to the Ballast gauge sensors on each tank - they swapped the Male and Female ends on me. No biggie - just glad it is finally working without me laying over the motor to switch wires - might as well have been tossing pumps over the side again.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 PM
TT Newbie
Boat: 06 mastercraft X30
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be working on it this weekend and update then.