Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-09-2017, 09:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 02 X-star
KGB bag draining issue

I have noticed lately that the KGB bag doesn't always fully drain. I went down to the boat today to knock out some punch list things and decided to fill and drain the front sacs to see what's going on. Turns out the IBS will fully empty into the KGB and then when the KGB gets about halfway empty the bag material gets sucked into the inlet/outlet port and blocks it off.

Is this a common issue? Any known fix?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I have a small bungee cord attached to the vent line on my bag in order to hold it up while the bag drains. This keeps the bag from completely collapsing at the vent line entrance.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
This thread may be of some help:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=75451
The thread discusses the use of air admittance valves to allow the tank to continue venting, even if the vent path through the piggy back bag is blocked.
I did this mod to my rear tanks and it works perfectly.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:57 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyskiguy View Post
This thread may be of some help:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=75451
The thread discusses the use of air admittance valves to allow the tank to continue venting, even if the vent path through the piggy back bag is blocked.
I did this mod to my rear tanks and it works perfectly.

Thanks, lots of good info in that thread, but my issue isn't with the piggy back IBS bag, my issue is with the OEM bag in the keel. The line that comes from the pump and goes into the bottom port of the bag becomes blocked by the bag itself once the bag reaches a level that will allow the bag to fold over on itself and get sucked into the port. Even if I removed the IBS and plumbed this as the factory did I would still have the same issue.

I guess its worth noting that I have 3 through hulls and 3 ballast puppy's, one for each rear bag and one for the front bags. I have eliminated the manifold and all check valves. I don't see how this would have any effect on this issue at hand, but will help understand my setup.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
I was thinking maybe adding a wye between the KGB and IBS to allow air to vent. The other side of the one way could go to another wye between the IBS vent and boat vent. That could work if you're draining both sides of the IBS and gravity will completely empty the IBS. On my IBS I only drain one side and need the pump suction to get the air out. I haven't noticed the issue on mine but then again my KGB is screwed down so it's a bit harder to check.

Adding another pump would be pretty fool proof...just expensive and more through hulls.

Maybe you could put something in the IBS bag to stop it from collapsing completely? Not sure what would fit through one of the fill/drain ports, stay in place and solve the issue so it's the worst of my ideas.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2230 View Post
I was thinking maybe adding a wye between the KGB and IBS to allow air to vent. The other side of the one way could go to another wye between the IBS vent and boat vent. That could work if you're draining both sides of the IBS and gravity will completely empty the IBS. On my IBS I only drain one side and need the pump suction to get the air out. I haven't noticed the issue on mine but then again my KGB is screwed down so it's a bit harder to check.

Adding another pump would be pretty fool proof...just expensive and more through hulls.

Maybe you could put something in the IBS bag to stop it from collapsing completely? Not sure what would fit through one of the fill/drain ports, stay in place and solve the issue so it's the worst of my ideas.
Your not fully understanding what I am trying to convey so let me try again.

My IBS that sits under the front seats has ZERO issue and will fully drain into the keel bag.

My Keel bag, the one in the ski locker in the floor in the center of the boat has 3 ports, one at the bottom rear for fill/drain, and 2 at the top of the rear for vent. When draining this bag, which is a thin canvas like material that is yellow in color and very, very pliable/foldable/shapable, the bag itself will fold over and cover the port inside the bag where the pump is sucking from, much like you putting your thumb over it, which means game over and no water flow.

Adding wyes and more pumps will not solve this issue.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
My bad. I was under the impression the IBS bag was collapsing when empty and blocking the air vent.

I think Wavemakers has a custom bag replacement for your boat that has a fill and vent port option on the same side.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:03 AM
TT Newbie

I figured I had 2 options to resolve this issue

1. Buy the wakemakers replacement bag and use the fitting that they have that have the cage on the end of the threaded side. This would be a good option, but I don't feel like spending $350 at this point in the season.

2. Fabricate something.

I chose to attempt to fabricate a solution. I found that 1/2" pex will fit inside the fitting in the bag if you heat the fitting a little bit. I used ~20" piece of pex and drilled holes through the pex at 1" intervals along the length, then I rotated the pex 90 degrees and did the same thing but made the holes offset by 1/2" from the first round of holes. Heated the fitting on the bag and worked the pex into the bag leaving 1/4" hanging out of the end of the fitting.

I realize it creates a restriction and will effect my drain and fill times, but after testing tonight the bag drains down completely. I will probably upgrade to the wakemakers bag over the winter, but this will get me by for now.