Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-21-2017, 08:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar 200VRS
Ballast Fully Filled; Won't Drain

Went out for a midweek surf session for a few hours with full stock ballast plus full port piggyback locker and full piggyback bag under observer filled. When cruising back in, flipped the switches to drain, lights on toggle switches come on, no pumps working. No breakers flipped ... no issues with any other electrical facet of boat. None of the 3 pumps are pumping out or even running. Switched to "fill" to see if they would engage ... nothing. Turned the boat completely off and back on to see if it reset ... nothing. That's an extra 2k lbs of water sitting in the boat so we popped the drain plug on the bag and pulled the plugs and allowed the water to drain as much as possible once I got her on the trailer. Can't find any wiring issues that I know of after spending another hour looking around each pump and through the wiring harness looking for something to come loose. Anyone have any idea of what could cause this? I know it has to be a simple fuse or wiring issue, not all 3 pumps would have gone completely out all at the same time! Hopefully it's a simple fix, but as of yet, I'm scratching my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 08:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Got a volt meter? If not you're going to need one to troubleshoot this.

My first thought is that you have a bad fuse or a tripped breaker. Is this a factory installed system? If so it's most likely going to a bad breaker. If not troubleshooting is going to be more challenging as people tend to take short cuts or go cheap and install inline fuses instead of using a re-settable breaker.

Since you can't find any loose or disconnected wires you're going to have to trace the power starting from the source (battery) to the pumps and to do that you're going to have to get very well informed as to how the system was installed. The system has to have a main power source (which is the battery) so that's where I would suggest starting. I like to map the circuit/system out when I go after these types of issues so I have a reference for later but also because it helps understand the system and where possible issues may arise.

If you have the Johnson or Jabsco pumps installed you most likely (hopefully) have relays installed to run the high current through rather than wiring directly though the switch. If you're seeing lights on your fill/empty switches but nothing is happening your problem is most likely in the relay circuit which is where I suspect the issue is. Starting at the battery use your volt meter to "wring out" (check the voltage) between each connection in the primary feed to the ballast system from input to output of each device. You're basically looking for where the power stops. If there is a fuse or breaker installed in the circuit, it's typically installed close to the battery or the relays and would be the first place I would be looking for the source of your issue.

Hope this helps.... Good luck on your new mission.

Sorry to be so vague but without understanding who installed the system or what components are installed it's hard to make any specific recommendation other than to focus on primary power circuit.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I found an old thread of an X2 owner with same setup and same problem that in hoping will solve my issues. My era is the '06 non timed ballast module, so it'll make it easier. The piggyback system is controlled off the stock ballast setup so I'm hoping to get in under the starboard side control panel (where the relay circuits are found) and work back to the battery from there. Hoping to find something loose that I didn't see last night or to replace a fuse or breaker. Thanks again for the advice as it confirms with the previous thread I've looked over.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
That actually should be an easier system to work on. Your profile has 1998 Maristar which I don't recall having a stock system which I left the type system diags out.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Yeah I've never updated the profile. It's a 2006 X-15 with stock wiring. Looks to be an easy fix after all. Thanks for the help