Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-11-2017, 11:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2007, 8.1L
Rear panel support

Has anyone running oversized ballast bags in the rear compartments (such as 1100's) experienced issues with the rear panel between the bag and the transom? I have support on the panels facing the engine but on the rear panels these are not well supported on the x45 at least. After a few years it seems the back panels have caved in. There is roughly 10 inches of open space from the panel to the rear transom that I'm debating on how to reinforce.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Yes, lots of people have that issue. Thankfully wakemakers has you covered.

https://www.wakemakers.com/engine-di...nel-saver.html
Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post

These are for the side engine panel's, i have these in place today. My new issue is the rear panel which seems it would require a different support system. The panel in the rear screws into the bottom carpet and then into the gel coat, it has a 1"x6" support beam at the bottom intended to hold the whole thing in place but loaded up it''ll buckle. Seems the best approach for it would be a solid block of some sort 2 or 3 feet wide and 6 inches deep. I will post a picture soon, this is a similar panel to the one in the engine bay in front of the ballast pumps
Old 04-11-2017, 12:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 x-15 5.7
My boat has the same issue. I thought briefly about supporting it on the backside with a wood structure of some sort. As it is right now it seems more cosmetic than anything and a sacked out wave is more important. Only on the nice to have list ATM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:25 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-OH View Post
My boat has the same issue. I thought briefly about supporting it with a wood structure of some sort. As it is right now it seems more cosmetic than anything and a sacked out wave is more important. Only on the nice to have list ATM.

Yea, i think that's my plan to start with a wood structure. At least to figure out dimensions. For my setup it is a bit of a functional issue. I had the sac shift into the rear area pulling the tubing a foot longer than expected. If there isn't enough slack in that tubing then the connection to the fat sac will come off and ballast pumps could be pumping water into the boat at an incredibly fast rate lol
Old 04-11-2017, 08:03 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post

Called wakemakers and seems these may also work for the rear panel. In the case the rear panel bends then slips over the block holding it in place. This does appear to be the case so i will give it a try this weekend and see what happens.