Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-01-2016, 10:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-star
2000 X-star Ballast Install

So I know there are other threads on here regarding the ballast setup for the 00 xstar. Unfortunately I was 1 year early in getting the 3 fill places, but that's ok with me for now.

I currently have a 650 bow bag, 350 ski locker bag, and two 750 rears. I haven't added any lead weigh behind the bow bag yet, but I think I plan to do so.

I think I want to try to create a setup where I fill off the factory transom thru-hull. I plan to replace the aerator pumps with a reversible pumps from Jabsco or one from wakemakers (if anyone is looking to sell a pump, let me know).

Rather than create a fill manifold, I figured I could just use 3-way valves and ball valves to accomplish the same thing for cheaper and it gives me the flexibility to tailor the ballast as I see fit.

I have included a diagram with my chicken-scratch of drawing and writing. The strait and curved line coming right off the supply of the pump are the same line, I just didn't like the fact I had intersecting lines that weren't the same line.

So completely full, I think this setup will take approximately 24mins to fill (it should be less because the bow bag and ski locker sack probably wont' fill completely. If I decide to add another pump at a later date, I can just split the rear from the front.

Does anyone have any changes to this system?
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2016, 11:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '99 205V
I did something similar. I have a single Johnson ballast pump pulling from my only through hull, and filling both rear 750 lb bags. I am using 1" hose, and a wye fitting from the pump to the two rear sacks. They fill fast. The one pump fills both bags in 8 min flat. I usually stop at 7 min so they're not bulging. I think 4 bags off a single pump might be a bit much. Back pressured from all 4 might be enough to push water past the pump impeller and they might drain. But I don't think it would hurt to try. Worst case you just have to add a 2nd pump and thru-hull sooner than planned.

I just fill my bow sack with a tsunami pump and leave the ski locker full all the time.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2009 X30 MCX / 2003 X2 MCX
Sounds like a lot of back and forth checking bags and turning valves. How much money do you save with (2 more thru hulls + 2 more pumps) - (all the 3 way valves and whatever else you need)? You're going to use just as much hose and fittings. It would be worth the extra $400 to go with 3 pumps and 3 the hulls. Just my .02.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Once I have all the bags filled, I can just close of the ball valves which should relieve quite a bit of pressure.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-Star, 330 LTR
I would recommend having 4 different pumps for the 4 bags. You can do a lot more with the ballast that way.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
I agree with cheesesteak here completely.

One pump for 4 different bags at 24min would be like re arranging my sock drawer. I think its actuallu going to be longer than 24 min because you're using 3/4 inch hose, and every valve is going to restrict flow. Not to mention back pressure will also reduce flow rates...........that is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge fill time.......... at very least I would do two pumps. That would kill the fill time in half and be worth the dollar/to ride time investment 10 fold.

Optimal would be 3 pumps.

With that said your money your boat......
You could eliminate the empty line and both check valves because the pump will empty right out the intake. Only advantage of having the drain above waterline is sight, but you'll be able to hear the pump change pitch to know when things are empty. Not to mention all the pumps now have auto shutoffs to prevent the impellar or motor burning up if its accidentally left on.

Next issue to address is your multiple vent lines coming off the bags and teeing into one outlet. If the vent line is present you wont be able to force and divert the water to the next bag. it will simply go out the vent line on the path of least resistance.so now your taking even more ball valves to close those off or eliminate them completely. Your best solution here is remove all the vent lines excepet the one coming from the final bag you want filled(kind of like a daisy chain, one bag goes to the next then on to the next) this is why one single pump is really not the answer. Two is the minimum IMO

Separate the boat in to 2 zones. Piggy back the bow and center sac off one pump,then piggy back the rears off one pump. It eliminates a ton of the ball valves and trying to rememebr which needs to tun on and off. Its just a nightmare. with youre system the way it is now you have next to zero fine tuning left to right or front to back, which is key to any auto ballast system

Save the cash and wait til you have enough money to do it the right way. If youre ok with turning and watching all those valves why not just buy (2) throw over tsunami 1200 pumps and fill them manually. IT will be half the time and probably less work having to move people cushions and gear around to access ball valves. Concept is good on paper, but the execution will gain you nothing

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 07-01-2016, 01:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '99 205V
Do not use 3/4" hose. Even if your thru hull is 3/4" (mine is too). 1" hose still helps flow quite a bit, and you don't need adapters for connecting it to the pump. Just slide the hose over the barbed fittings on the pump and hose clamp.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

If I added one more pump and split the system, would I add it into the transom like the other? Or just add it somewhere in the rear of the engine away from the raw water pump?

Thanks for the tip on the 1" lines, I will be sure to go with those.

I think I will also eliminate the drain on the side for right if a transom empty is sufficient. I didn't realize you could hear the difference when the pump is empty. Do people typically just let the pump shut off on the run dry protection?
Old 07-04-2016, 02:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Xstar
On my '00, I use 3 pumps to fill 4 bags. The standard KGB centre bag fills with the transom mounted aerator. One Jabsco fed from a 1" they hull fills the bow bag and one Jabsco fed from another 1" thru hull and via a tee fills the two rear bags. I have ball valves on the T so can easily fill or empty one of the two rear bags. This was the cheapest option that retains flexibility that I was happy with. It also keeps the dash clean as I have 3 ballast pumps side by side on the dash.

There is no way you'll hear the change of tone from the pumps once they've emptied if you are underway. I have a blinking LED to remind me the Jabsco pumps are running, the impellers won't last long if not lubricated by water
Old 07-04-2016, 03:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2009 X30 MCX / 2003 X2 MCX
Just another point for you to consider before pulling the trigger on a design. When you have issues with your system, which happens to us all, all those valves, check valves, .... will make trouble shooting that much more difficult. I had a pump that was not holding a prime and it too me 4 weeks to find the issue with a traditional 3 pump, 3 bag + lead system. Hope all this info helps in your decision.