Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-26-2004, 10:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Accident on my lake...

Saturday afternoon,an old i/o pulling a tube was speeding in a no wake zone near my house .He went by so fast the first time that i didn't had time to yell at him.He came out of that small bay(300 feet wide) and did a 180 turn right in front of my house.I shouted at him but he didn't care.the tube was still gaining speed from the 180 turn and getting dangerously close to the shore.The boat kept going and the tube missed my second neighbor's dock by 3 feet.the tube was going about 30 mph at the time headind straight for the third neighbor pontoon hitting hit right in the middle of it...
Terrible noise...I ran over there and jumped in the water.As i was running there i could see the men moving but when i got there,his head was under water.I really didn't know what to expect ,the guy was a 70 years old man!!!
The man was conscious but terribly in shock from the hit.No bleeding or obvious fracture ,but a big brooze on the ribs side that he hit.
I help him stabilize and was talking to him,but couldn't take him out of water at that place,the shore beiing big rocks.The boat driver finally turn around and jumped in the water and help me get the man out of water.
The man had no open wounds or broken bones except maybe for the ribs and was driven to hospital by his family.
The driver was about my age(very young!) and was sober,But was obviously a beginner with boat.Last week,he was pulling the tube in my course...I never saw somebody so stupid with a boat in his hands.
No news yet from the man,the boat driver didn't want to leave his phone # at first saying it wasn't the time for it and that he would come back.Going to check this morning with the pontoon owner,and will call the cops if he didn,t as he damaged the pontoon.
This is were he hit the pontoon.The owner has it for 6 days and builted a new floating dock for it.The deck is sitting at about 24 inches above the water and 24 hrs before the accident,the pontoon was docked to the other side...If he had not move it,the tube would have gone under the dock and the man's head would have hit a 4 " aluminium angle...
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2004, 10:20 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Some people never cease to amaze me. That being said, I'm glad no one was seriously injured.

A young girl was killed on an innertube on a lake where I ski when she was, apparently, unable to control it, and hit a channel marker. Needless to say, it was a horrible thing to have happen.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 81 Stars & Stripes
Some people are real idiots, I am always on alert whenever I have someone in tow. I think it is a tremendous responsibilty to literally have someones life on the line.
I have seen a few close calls with tubers and docks in the past and thought of such an accident gives me chills. I am glad everyone is alright. I hope the driver does some souls searching before he gets back in the boat.
Kepp us posted on this man's condition if you hear.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
It is scarry to think that there are boaters like that out there.
I'm kind of an old man when I pull tubers. Last week the older kids kept telling me to dump em'. I did a few times but still don't like it. They have no control on those things, it is all up to us and a fun thing can turn ugly very quickly.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:10 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
When I was a kid, I skied more than I tubed. But when we did tube, all we wanted was to be slung out and dumped. That's why I don't want a tube behind my boat. The person riding it won't want to go straight. If I bend to their wishes, not only could I put them in a precarious position, but if that's not reason enough, I'm messing up the water for other watersports enthusiasts.

So, yes, there is a safe way to pull an innertube on the water, but it's usually not the way the rider wants to be pulled.

Nothing against the innertubers on the board to be sure. Just how I operate.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:14 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Andre

Hard to believe something like that. Makes you wonder what goes through peoples minds when the get behind the wheel.. I hope you offered some words of discouragement along with a strong suggestion of a boater safety class..

Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
It's kind of like being a parent, you don't need a license, you don't even need common sense. People never cease to amaze me. Why would you swing someone that close to shore, dock, boat, etc. Moron.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:54 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Just got this part, "driver was about my age(very young!)"
Old 07-26-2004, 01:09 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
That would take one helluva hit to dent the pontoon. You are fortunate you were not pulling a lifeless body out of the water. If and when I do have kids I am not going to buy a tube until they have learned to ski and/or wakeboard. In my experience, once kids get on the innertubes they will not try anything else.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Maristar 210 openbow, 1990, 351W
My friends and I were tubing about 5 years ago and had a pretty close call. I was riding the tube wanting to get some air, so I kept telling the driver to push it up a notch. We hit a batch of choppy water and I got about 3-4 feet of air moving a very fast pace. The rope generated quite a bit of slack. I came down for my landing and hit a double wave at the same instant the rope pulled tight. They said there was about 8-10 feet of air under the tube on that jump. I was in the air for what seemed an eternity and landed head first. The tube popped out of the cover with the impact, also giving me a concussion. While I was underwater the rope had a huge amount of slack. While is what passing me it slashed my neck and left about a 4” scar that is still visible. No one in my group of friends has pulled a tuber since then and I absolutely refuse to. The guy that owned the tube never put it back in the cover. In my opinion, this is one of the most dangerous water sports if you push it to the edge and beyond like we did.