Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 08-29-2005, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '03 X-30, LQ9
Ordered an acme prop

Reading all the "WOW!!!" posts on the difference an acme CNC prop makes, left me no choice but to order one. Will be getting a 13.5" x 19.5" in the next couple of weeks.

A little skeptic that just 1/2 inch on diameter and pitch will result in a stronger holeshot and more precise speed control, but Jim assured me that it would and said to send it back if I wasn't happy.

Although I've only put 5 hours on the boat this summer, they've been the best 5 because........IT'S A MASTERCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
You will love the prop. Did you go with a 3 blade or a four blade?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '03 X-30, LQ9
Model 1039 - 4 blade. Don't ask me why, that's what Jim recommended. Would you have went with 3 blades?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:32 PM
MC Hero

I think there are reasons that a 4 blade is preferred for v-drives or for wakeboarding. Jim knows better than I.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Maristar 210 W/Zeroflex Tower
Big B: Interested in the results also. A couple of years ago when I dinged my OJ 14x20 legend that came on the boat, I put on the 13.7x19.5 xmp (cnc) oj prop that was my spare. To be honest I could tell very little difference other that maybe a little better holeshot and it shaved a tiny bit off my top end. Friday after talking to my dealer he recommended putting the xmp back on due to some pitting that is developing on my rudder. He thought the problem could be some kind of cavitation problem from the 14x20 prop. Prop performed much as I had remembered. What I would be interested in also, is if anyone has compared the same size oj to acme prop and the outcome of performance differences if any.

As a side note, has anyone experienced this pitting or cavitation burn on their rudder and can nibral be brazed or repaired??
Old 08-29-2005, 04:09 PM
MC Hero

Why, yes. I've run a side-by-side.

Acme v. XMP Prop Test

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 08-29-2005, 04:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Maristar 210 W/Zeroflex Tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Why, yes. I've run a side-by-side.

Acme v. XMP Prop Test
Interesting east tx and thanks for the time spent doing the testing. I would have found it hard to believe for there to be a large difference in performance between 2 same size cnc props from the two companies. The posts I read about an amazing holeshot has to come with a price. For example I tried an xmp 13.7x17.5 and the holeshot was very impressive but it hit the rev limiter way to easy for me. Might be perfect for someone who is alway loaded with ballast and only worried about wakeboard speeds.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
MC Hero

With reduced pitch, my WOT numbers did not overrev with the 13x12. I have heard at least one account of overreving with a 13x11.5 acme.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club