Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Advice on 97 - 205 w/ LT-1

Looking for some advice on purchasing a 1997 Mastercraft 205 with LT-1 engine and 1.51 powerslot transmission. Believe the transmission says Hurth on it. The boat is in good shape with about 850 hours and has been regularly serviced. One owner.

The dealer is asking $15k, FIRM. The interior needs a little work and the boat does not have a swim platform. Here are some pictures. My main concern is working on the LT-1. I understand these engines have the aluminum heads and I do not believe overheating issues are present. How easy is it to diagnosis and replaces the electronic components when they fail? How about obtaining an owner's manual or engine service manual? Can you cross reference with automobile LT-1 manuals?

Thanks for the help.

Pictures.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2012, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
I have a 96 190 with LT1 that I bought last winter for 13k. Interior was perfect and only 330 hours. Yours is a year newer with a tandem trailer which is a plus, so price is not bad, although no swim platform is a pretty big minus. The only problem I've had with it is replacing the circulating pump, which was easy and I used the automotive one. All the electronics are cross reference-able. The main parts that must be marine use are alternator, starter, and thermostats. This forum is an excellent resource. Do some searches and you'll find answers to most of your questions.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Looks like salt use to me. Galvanized trailer and engine corrosion. Salt is especially bad on the LT1. From those photos I say it's overpriced at $15k. Walk away. There are similar year 205s out there for the same or just slightly more money in far better condition.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 08-05-2012, 03:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Looks like salt use to me. Galvanized trailer and engine corrosion. Salt is especially bad on the LT1. From those photos I say it's overpriced at $15k. Walk away. There are similar year 205s out there for the same or just slightly more money in far better condition.
Looks can be deceiving .....Boat is @ Liquid Sports in Orlando. I just ordered a new trailer through them and know the story on trailer, it was a replacement to the original and happens to be galvanized, i was told it was fresh water only. I told them to buy my trailer to put under it so people wouldn't assume salt water use. My trailer sold that night and now has a Nautique sitting on it.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
I have your sister boat. 97 205 but no LT-1. I got it 2 summers ago with 480 hrs for 15k. Has tower and stereo with sub and 2 tower speakers. Also has platform, tandem axle trailer, and vinyl that wasn't perfect, but nicer than what's in the pictures. I couldn't be happier with the boat, actually I'd love a new interior. I think "firm" is relative. I don't think I'd pay that much, however it does have the LT-1 which is saught after option, although I don't feel I'm missing anything by not having it.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
I had called over to Liquid for another TT member. Mark and his team at Liquid are straight up
With that said. Mark originally SOLD the boat to the first owner. Not a Salt Water Boat

If you want to look at another one here is one that I am selling $10K is the #

Jim@BAWS

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/se...&sortDir=DESC&

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 08-05-2012, 06:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Hands down the boat at Jim's would be my choice for the $$$. Lt1 would be nice but the standard engine delivers everything we need.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@BAWS View Post
I had called over to Liquid for another TT member. Mark and his team at Liquid are straight up
With that said. Mark originally SOLD the boat to the first owner. Not a Salt Water Boat

If you want to look at another one here is one that I am selling $10K is the #

Jim@BAWS

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/se...&sortDir=DESC&

Nice boat...what happened to original engine that it need replacement?