Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 05-26-2012, 09:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
wakeboard ropes & handles

Just curious as to what you guys use. I want a good quality rope and handle that will last me a long while. Is there a specific brand out there that you would recommend without it having to break my bank?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Accurate makes some great lines.

The handle I use is a Ronix North, going on 4 years now. Great handle, nice thick grip chamois handle. Try evowake.com or grizzleysports.com for good deals. You can also try wakeside.com and buywake.com too. Or better yet, search them all and go to your local board shop and ask if they will match the price!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Jersey. I'll give those sites a look and see if I can find one. I'd be happy if it lasted 4 years for sure.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Have you ever used one of the lines that has almost a gel or rubber overcoat like these?

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-...Blue_Image.jpg

http://www.sunandski.com/Straight_Li...6065051120.htm
Old 05-28-2012, 01:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
i like the striaght line handles with the B2i changeable bar.If the bar pad wears out you just replace it for like 15.00.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Have you ever used one of the lines that has almost a gel or rubber overcoat like these?

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-...Blue_Image.jpg

http://www.sunandski.com/Straight_Li...6065051120.htm
I have used one, and won't buy another. Doesnt seem to help anything, and started hardening, cracking and peeling in year 2, making it almost impossible to coil.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blue View Post
I have used one, and won't buy another. Doesnt seem to help anything, and started hardening, cracking and peeling in year 2, making it almost impossible to coil.
That sucks! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

I'm going to be doing a little waterskiing as well, but I will never get above just recreational use in this area. Would it be okay to buy another wakeboarding rope and use it for waterskiing? That way I wouldn't have to buy a separate waterskiing line and I would have a backup in case something happened to my good wakeboarding setup. Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
TT Regular

Hogwild-

Here is my 2 cents from experience-

Wakeboarding ropes and ski ropes are different for a reason, including everything from handle size to stretch of the rope.

The rope you were refering to earlier with the coating on it, has worked great for me, the rope is super strong and it had virtually no stretch which is exactly what you want when wakeboarding, its hard to load the line with a rope that stretches. Had mine for a year and as long as you dont knot it it will not crack the plastic. Also wakeboarding handles are a lot wider than ski handles to be able to easily pass the handle.

My opinion, buy a spectra type rope and detachable wakeboard handle. You can find them on sale for a very good price on ebay. ski ropes are a dime a dozen and way cheaper than wakeboard line, just find a cheap one if your not serious about it and use the wakeboard handle on the end of it.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganTristar View Post
Hogwild-

Here is my 2 cents from experience-

Wakeboarding ropes and ski ropes are different for a reason, including everything from handle size to stretch of the rope.

The rope you were refering to earlier with the coating on it, has worked great for me, the rope is super strong and it had virtually no stretch which is exactly what you want when wakeboarding, its hard to load the line with a rope that stretches. Had mine for a year and as long as you dont knot it it will not crack the plastic. Also wakeboarding handles are a lot wider than ski handles to be able to easily pass the handle.

My opinion, buy a spectra type rope and detachable wakeboard handle. You can find them on sale for a very good price on ebay. ski ropes are a dime a dozen and way cheaper than wakeboard line, just find a cheap one if your not serious about it and use the wakeboard handle on the end of it.
But you can buy a 0-stretch dyneema line without the coating for wakeboarding. IMO, the coating adds nothing to the performance, and IME, it doesnt hold up past a year or two.

I agree that you need a different line for skiing. I don't have enough experience with those to recommend a certain type. I'm sure you could find someone around here that does though.