Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 X2
2011 X2 wake surfing

So I've been searching for the right surfing set up for my 2011 X2. I partially fill the middle tank and fully fill the port tank. With just 3 people in the boat and surfing on a Ronix Koal, I can let go of the rope and surf the wake but the sweet spot is not very big. And if I try and use any other board.. it doesn't work for me. Any suggestions on how I can improve the set up outside of fat sacks and inviting a bunch of 200+lb buddies ride with me every time?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
On our 07 X2 we fill all stock ballast and have added a 455lb bag on the surf (port) side and get a good wake, but its a fairly short pocket. A couple extra adults help also. I need to lengthen the wake by adding weight to the bow. Can surf any board though.
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 07-31-2012, 09:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

I've been experimenting with my 2011 X2 also. The best wake so far has been the following setup: right surf tab down, middle and port tanks filled (about 650#), 455# piggyback sac in rear port compartment. 370# tube sac in storage area on port side. I also use two 750 bags and fill them with approx. 400# each. One on the seat in port corner and one on the floor in the bow. So I'm running about 2275# total. Good height on it and the most push I've been able to come up with. I may fill the bag in the bow to 750 next time to try and lengthen the wave a bit more. Tried using the attitude plate but it just killed the wave. Wakemakers.com has a configuration they recommend for surfing and mine is very close to that. Once I'm done experimenting I may look into getting a custom sac and putting everything under the seats with automated pumps. A lot of time we have 3 people total and I can stay back there a long time.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
^ Pics or video please!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Will try and get some pics next week and get them posted.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2 2008 - 350 MCX
I'm close to your setup with my 08' X2, instead of two separate sacs in the portside storages, I decided to go big and put an enzo sac down there, and guess what, it fits perfect, 1400lbs if i'm right !

Another 400lbs on the port seat and kgb+front sac filled...

Will post some pics...The wakemakers or waterkis setup is cool but those 400lbs are just small for the rear storage you can definitely go way bigger !
Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Wow tons of weight there guys. I have an 07 X2. We fill the KGB and the port side tanks then add a 450 in the port side. We use the same set up on the right side for goofy set up. At 210 I have no problems on a Blue Lake with just my daughter and nephew (probably 280 lbs together) in the boat. One thing that we've found that really effects the wake is depth, as in the deeper the water the better the surf wake. Anything under 10' and we get no wake to surf to speak of. On our lake this limits the surf area to the main portion of the lake.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
any idea how to clean up where my teak platform cuts into the wave to much. i am currently running with just two people, port full along with flyhigh 400 lbs overflow. then 400 lb bag in the ice chest area and a 1000 lb "L" surf sac filled about 3/4 along with a 400 lb bag in the bow. wake is big but again the platform cuts and does not allow it to be super clean.

pic showing the wake. girlfriend riding oh a 07 x2
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2012, 09:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: prostar 205 2000
I'd make a smaller platform, just for surfing, or simply remove the existing one. I recall seeing a couple of threads on here about just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
any idea how to clean up where my teak platform cuts into the wave to much. i am currently running with just two people, port full along with flyhigh 400 lbs overflow. then 400 lb bag in the ice chest area and a 1000 lb "L" surf sac filled about 3/4 along with a 400 lb bag in the bow. wake is big but again the platform cuts and does not allow it to be super clean.

pic showing the wake. girlfriend riding oh a 07 x2
Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Going back to cmike's original question, the only other thing you could try is to completely fill your front ballast. That would get you a little smaller wave with more push. If you don't have many people in the boat, you can cheat when driving and sit on the passenger side and reach over to steer. You need to get the boat weighted as much on the surf side as possible.

I'm far from a surfing expert and haven't spent much time tuning my wave, but here's a picture of my 12 X-2. I've got port and front ballast full. The 455 pound rear port piggy back is full. I also have a V drive sac under each seat in front (the 2012 has support ribs running all the way up the front, so the single X-2 bow sac no longer works). The V drive sacs only fill up about halfway, so they add 400 lbs total to the bow. I also have the 1000 lb bow triangle sac on the seats. There's about 5 people in the boat. I'm on a river, so I set zero off at 10 mph going up and 11.2 going down.

The first picture is the set up mentioned above. For the second picture, we had a Natique ski boat running along side, slightly ahead of us, trying a wakesurf spine. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it was a huge wave with tons of push. You couldn't fall out the back. Once you got to the spine (it's pretty washed out), it would just shove you back forward. I wiped out on a 360 and got rag dolled under water. It tossed me around like an ocean wave.
Attached Images