Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 08-29-2005, 02:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Foiling - Holy Crap is it Fun

Well, I learned to foil this weekend. Now I can ride straight, cross the wakes, and even managed to handle some boat waves. Getting up was tougher than I thought, but using a deep V handle worked well ... just took a while to figure out how long you had to stay back while getting up (I kept putting the tip under) ... you guys/gals have one super fun sport ... pretty soon they will be taking the water level down on the Pend Oreille for winter, so I suppose we will get out to Long Lake, Liberty, and CDA (on the weekends) ... I watched that video of Ben Ferney doing his tricks, I had no idea what could be done on one of those things ... anyway, for anyone who has never tried the sport I highly reccomend it for the Fun factor.

Casey
Old 08-29-2005, 03:04 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PendOreilleSkier
Well, I learned to foil this weekend. Now I can ride straight, cross the wakes, and even managed to handle some boat waves. Getting up was tougher than I thought, but using a deep V handle worked well ... just took a while to figure out how long you had to stay back while getting up (I kept putting the tip under) ... you guys/gals have one super fun sport ... pretty soon they will be taking the water level down on the Pend Oreille for winter, so I suppose we will get out to Long Lake, Liberty, and CDA (on the weekends) ... I watched that video of Ben Ferney doing his tricks, I had no idea what could be done on one of those things ... anyway, for anyone who has never tried the sport I highly reccomend it for the Fun factor.

Casey
I'm in complete agreement. I just started it about a month ago. The learning curve is steep but short, at least to the point where I can get up every time and cross both wakes quickly, manage line slack, and ride out in the flats for as long as I want. I'm just at the point where I'm starting some in-line straight jumps and trying to stay on-axis. I'm currently at about 19 mph and have been bumping the speed every so often. I have the beginner and advanced wedges (Stealth) about 3/8 inch back on the straight rear foil and will be switching to the radial foil pretty soon. It is indeed a blast. There are no other foilers on our lake, nor are there any around here that I know of. As we're tooling on down the lake, I get people following me, people pointing and waving from docks and anchored boats. People come up to me all the time on the street and ask me what kind of wakeboard that is that they see me riding around the lake. It's pretty funny.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Prostar LT-1
Congratulations PendOreilleSkier!!! You did very well to master what you did over the weekend. Warning! this sport is very addicting whether your just learning to fly, jump, or going for your first invert.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Right on, guys. Glad to hear it!

I was just reading in one of the other threads that someone was riding a kneeboard instead of slalom skiing to save a hurt shoulder. I can't even begin to tell everyone enough times to get on a foil. ESPECIALLY when your nursing a bad shoulder, knee or ankle. The amount of drag on the foil is 10 times less than anything else behind the boat! And the sense of flying above all the chop is well worth the price of admission. I can only imagine the huge grin on your faces as you learned all this!

Time for me to get out to the Pend O'Reille river for a tug, Casey. I'll have a couple of free weekends to make it happen.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
Right on, guys. Glad to hear it!

I was just reading in one of the other threads that someone was riding a kneeboard instead of slalom skiing to save a hurt shoulder. I can't even begin to tell everyone enough times to get on a foil. ESPECIALLY when your nursing a bad shoulder, knee or ankle. The amount of drag on the foil is 10 times less than anything else behind the boat! And the sense of flying above all the chop is well worth the price of admission. I can only imagine the huge grin on your faces as you learned all this!

Time for me to get out to the Pend O'Reille river for a tug, Casey. I'll have a couple of free weekends to make it happen.
So far, my best student (what a laughable concept) is a friend that tore his hamstring skiing. I convinced him that foiling wouldn't hurt it and he went for it just to get on the water. Now, I doubt he'll ever get on that slalom ski again.

My only problem is that our Thursday morning water skiing group only has a limited amount of time to ski. It get ski-able about 6:10 AM, and we all have to be at work by 7:30. When there's four of us, foiling tends to unbalance the time alottments somewhat.

>
Old 08-29-2005, 06:55 PM
MC Devotee

Hehehe, see, your already seeing the way it is, Big Mac. Your morning skiing buddies won't let you take the foil because you'd take the entire morning up riding it!!
Honestly, if you do no tricks at all, you can ride for a looong time. But when you start jumping, skidding, getting upside down, it starts to drain you a bit quicker. I had a ride on the Columbia this Saturday that was close to an hour long. But I could only do my inverts for about 30 min. then I just relaxed & skied back & forth. Hoping to have some pics of the trip tonite. Then had some people recognize us later & listened to how amazed they are about "that crazy flippy twisty thing"!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '95 Prostar 205 LT1
Quote:
Count me in too!! The Columbia was a blast. Some of us have a heavier hangover than others though.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Quote:
Hehehe, see, your already seeing the way it is, Big Mac. Your morning skiing buddies won't let you take the foil because you'd take the entire morning up riding it!!
Honestly, if you do no tricks at all, you can ride for a looong time. But when you start jumping, skidding, getting upside down, it starts to drain you a bit quicker. I had a ride on the Columbia this Saturday that was close to an hour long. But I could only do my inverts for about 30 min. then I just relaxed & skied back & forth. Hoping to have some pics of the trip tonite. Then had some people recognize us later & listened to how amazed they are about "that crazy flippy twisty thing"!

So what is the time frame on getting upside down?

Steer with your feet?

Keep your knees together tight, or a little separated?

Thanks fellas, Casey

Last edited by PendO; 08-30-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Prostar LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PendOreilleSkier
So what is the time frame on getting upside down?

<Steer with your feet?>

<Keep your knees together tight, or a little separated?>

Thanks fellas, Casey
<Upside down>
I couldn't wait so without a clue I started trying gainers almost right away after I could control the foil. Good thing about the gainer they don't hurt(usually) two of my daughters are trying them. I managed to ride away some gainers and one wake roll my first summer but I probably rushed it a bit.

<Steering>
Not really your feet, some tell you to steer with your knees...almost like turning on a bike without turning the handlebars.

<Knees>
Separated a less than shoulder width. Try to relax when you ride and
you'll be able to feel what the foil is doing instead of fighting it.

If you can get together with these guys I would highly recommend it.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:08 AM
MC Devotee

Took me a couple of years to get one invert. Some guys get it in less time. Just depends on how good you take to it. I heard Dave Reinhart did one his first day...... but then the Dawg could do a backroll on a garbage can lid!

Start about 5' out of the wake, start high on the foil, dip down & kiss the board to the water, lean back, handle down on your knees, look up & around your inside (to the wake) shoulder & start looking for the boat!

Also a good idea to know how to land a jump too!
Attached Images

Last edited by AirJunky; 08-30-2005 at 04:10 AM.