Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
Boat Inspection Results

So I recently put a deposit down on a 2008 X45. Texas Mastercraft just finished their boat inspection and the only real finding of concern is some gelcoat cracks (I am not purchasing the boat through Texas Mastercraft, they just did the inspection). See the pictures below. The cracking is on 4 of the 6 cleats.

Is this something that would concern you guys? Would you cancel the order? Negotiate a new price?

Or is this some what expected on a boat of this age, in this location.

Last edited by rydog; 02-15-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Accidentally submitted without finishing
Old 02-15-2017, 11:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
Not super uncommon ,especially if the boat was moored to a dock on a rough spot of water from time to time.

What I would ask Texas MC about is the area behind the cleats on the backside . Does it show any damage or stress? I am guessing here , but 99 percent sure they are gonna respond no. Those cracks appear to be stress cracks which are purely cosmetic. Any good gelcoat place could easily make those disappear and look new again. I would definitely not mis a sale assuming you are
Getting the boat for the price you want because of those.

Again that is asssuming there is no damage they can see from inside the boat

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 02-16-2017, 01:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X30, 2008 X15 (sold)
I'd look behind the cleats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 XT23 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Not super uncommon ,especially if the boat was moored to a dock on a rough spot of water from time to time.

What I would ask Texas MC about is the area behind the cleats on the backside . Does it show any damage or stress? I am guessing here , but 99 percent sure they are gonna respond no. Those cracks appear to be stress cracks which are purely cosmetic. Any good gelcoat place could easily make those disappear and look new again. I would definitely not mis a sale assuming you are
Getting the boat for the price you want because of those.

Again that is asssuming there is no damage they can see from inside the boat
I basically second this, although I look at it from a different angle. This tells you that the boat was left in the water tied up in rough water for extended periods of time. Or moored a lot in rough water. When I bought used, I always looked for signs like this that tell a story about the owner, and his use/care habits. Stress cracks in gel are NBD, but they're helping you learn about this boat's history.

Maybe I'm too picky, but few with MCOCD would treat/store their boat this way IMHO. I would at least consider using it as leverage.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
Thanks for the replies. Texas MC did not specifically say that they looked behind the cleats but they did say it was purely cosmetic and it was not structural. I am not sure if the boat is still at Texas MC but I will check and ask them.

The boat only has 318 hours and I thought I was told it was stored on a lift so now I am not really sure. JBaker, I agree I may use it as leverage.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
that took some serious tugging from being left in the water to cause those cracks. I have over 540 hrs on my x2 and I don't have a single gel crack.

now my old 05 supra had them all over!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydog View Post
Thanks for the replies. Texas MC did not specifically say that they looked behind the cleats but they did say it was purely cosmetic and it was not structural. .
They are telling the truth. My 197 has them on all of the cleats. 2 seasons of being wet docked in New Hampshire will do that to a boat. It is what it is, sucks but nothing you can do if you don't have a lift and you park in a slip.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 ProStar 190
The cleats were most likely installed incorrectly. If you drill a hole in the fiberglass without smoothing out the edges the outer layer of gelcoat will crack like that. I looked at a lot of boats that had similar cracks around the tower feet.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
Doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't stored on a lift it's life. Just means it was docked somewhere rough from time to time. Here that would mean they possibly visited a lot of restaurants and/or bars on the water . The water around a few of the local ones here gets nasty because they are right off the main lakes.

Also doesn't mean the boat was abused at all , could it have been , well that would be dependent on lot of other things. Simple stress cracks like these are not a tell tale sign of that at all. I bet you're x star has some of those same lines right by the front vents, swim platform brackets , or by the interior bow cupholders

BTW that's gonna be a huge jump going from your XStar to that . Be like owning two XStars. Enjoy. If you end up pulling the trigger.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 02-16-2017, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Those would not bother me if that was the only Issue. It's also premature to say the cracks are due to being tied up for lengths of time in rough water. Simply over-tightening during install can cause this as well.