Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2015, 08:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25ss 6.2 All Black
Power loading and unloading question

Has anyone installed their own rollers between the bunks to make getting the boat on and off easier? The ramp i use at our lake is very average and sinking the trailer further isnt an option. Guy next door said he'd installed some keel rollers and it made a huge difference. Interested in others experiences
Old 08-29-2015, 11:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
So are you looking to powerload then? I havnt seen anyone at my launch do that with rollers yet.

What I have seen is someone tap the brakes to early with rollers, after having the boat disconnected from the trailer. He is lucky our launch is gravel, and the owner keeps a spar 4x4 and a tractor there.

Where are you having problems?
How are you gettign the boat off the trailer? any problems there?

Are you trying to do it like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnBZrs017YM

I used to do that method above in the video, but my trailer hits my keel very easly, and I had a bad incident this year and rashed really good down to glass a foot of my keel. What I do now is float it on a bit (trailer same depth as when unloading. I also power unload thogh). I get the strap/winch and winch it on as much as I can, pretty much enough to have it centered on the trailer (old carpet plus 1000lb winch means my 25 foot isnt making it up far). Then I unclip, put it in gear, and power up the rest of the way. Clip it in and tighten/lock the winch. I basically have to skip the intial drive it becuase it seems I have to be within +- 4 inches of center or I hit the trailer with my keel (yes i have keel rollers, but it misses them).

We dont float on since the boat never rests on the bunks evenly enoguh for me to be happy with it. Not to mention you get really wet and you have to get the truck in much deeper to do that, and it seems to take everyone a long time doing that.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Oh, ****. I read our post wrong.

Keel rollers. I thought you wanted to replace your bunks with rollers

Y aI have them on mine. If you get them, get the longest ones possible. Mine are 8" total and its not enough. But see my above loading technique I use now. I dont scrape anymore and feel way more confident
Old 08-29-2015, 12:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Roman, if you're scraping your keel on your boat trailer, your bunks are not set up correctly.

To the OP... you could try some liquid rollers which is like a silicone spray you could put on your bunks that would make loading and unloading easier because of less friction. If you use that stuff, never unhook your winch/safety strap unless your boat is safely in the water. And be sure to hook the winch strap up EVERY TIME you pull the boat out, or you'll find it laying on the pavement behind you.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I've been using a silicone based spray on my carpet. It really makes it glide on easy.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ill give the silicone another try. I tried it on a previous boat and didn't have much success. The keel rollers would seem a good solution but just not sure where to place them and how many. Hoping someone who's done this could point me in the right direction. Ive seen trailers with bunks and just a few keel rollers and also ones with rollers all the way. I imagine you'd want the majority of the boat's weight bearing on the bunks and the rollers just help the boat slide on and off. Some sort of a spring loaded roller would be perfect (but I'm probably overthinking it)
Old 08-29-2015, 08:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsbuns View Post
Ill give the silicone another try. I tried it on a previous boat and didn't have much success. The keel rollers would seem a good solution but just not sure where to place them and how many. Hoping someone who's done this could point me in the right direction. Ive seen trailers with bunks and just a few keel rollers and also ones with rollers all the way. I imagine you'd want the majority of the boat's weight bearing on the bunks and the rollers just help the boat slide on and off. Some sort of a spring loaded roller would be perfect (but I'm probably overthinking it)
Or spray wax

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If it ain't broke just give it to me... it will be.
RIP No1
Old 08-30-2015, 10:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I take it you don't have tracking fins? Keel rollers would have to be so far forward as to be of no practical use in this situation on my boat.

The bunk sprays do work, be careful around curves as well. The boat will be ready to slide sideways pretty easily.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
I take it you don't have tracking fins? Keel rollers would have to be so far forward as to be of no practical use in this situation on my boat.

The bunk sprays do work, be careful around curves as well. The boat will be ready to slide sideways pretty easily.
Thats what i love about TT. The seeing helping the blind!

I have tracking fins - completely forgot about them! Looks like spray or bust
Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
I have to bury my trailer at the ramp for both loading and unloading, to the point my poles are 6-12" below the water level. I just zip tie my guide pads to the pole.

Both trucks are 4x4 but barley use it. I will have to try the bunk spray.

Any brand in particular?