Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2015, 08:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X30 - being built
Trailer Wiring Advice - X30 2015

My 2015 X30 arrived a few weeks ago and ever since then I have been trying to get the electric brakes to work. I have a BMW X5 with a BMW wiring harness and Red Arc Electric Brake Controller.

I understand that you need to run 12v to the trailer to run the electric hydraulic brakes on the trailer. We have this currently running through the reverse pin (based on research and advice) but the trailer brakes are not working despite checking that there is 12v coming through. All lights - turn signals etc are working on the trailer. Does anyone know the trick to wiring up the trailer brakes correctly using the seven pin plug running from the car? Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X23 w/giant punkin motor
Do you mean that they don't release when backing up?? Or did you special order electric brakes instead of hydraulic?

The typical hydraulic surge brakes are not electrically actuated.....
Old 03-16-2015, 09:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X23 w/giant punkin motor
If it is a normal X30 trailer, The brakes are actuated via a master cylinder incorporated into the trailer tongue. The reverse signal just deactivates the brakes in reverse, so they don't lock up when backing up a hill.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
I am certainly not a trailer expert, however your MC trailer is outfitted with a hydraulic surge system. If you want electric brake control, you will need a modification to the braking system on the trailer. I am not aware of a system to electronically control the surge actuation system.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
try this, http://www.pacifictrailers.com/UFP-R...p-Valve-34500/
Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
I had assumed the electronics on my F250 would recognize the trailer and allow me to program the brake parameters. However, this is only for electronic brake actuated trailers. Ours are hydraulic as mentioned above and not programmable.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X30 - being built
My x30 trailer came with a BrakeRite system - electric hydraulic system. In Australia you must have electric brakes on a trailer/boat of this size. Just can't seem to get them wired up right with the seven pin car plug.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X10
I have had a few issues with the electric over hydraulic brakes over the years. I would have the same trailer setup as you now and I run a tekonsha P3 brake controller in the car.The first issue I had was with an Easytow trailer under the Malibu. This ended up being a lack of constant 12v power to the reverse pin. Once that was run all was good. Do you have constant 12v power? Have you checked that the 12v is running to the correct wire on in the trailer plug. You may have 12v at the car side of the wiring but this may not match up to the correct wire on the trailer plug side.

The other issue I had was with the Mastercraft trailer. I was able to manual engage the trailer brakes using the lever on the bottom of the Tekonsha P3 but they would not work when using the car brake. That turned out to be a scotch lock not making proper contact.

The other thing is with the Tekonsha P3 there are two brake type options, one is for just electric brakes and the other is for electric over hydraulic, so you may want to make sure your controller is set to the correct one if available.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 5.7- 2006- 200 SS 5.7 -2013 X30 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Do you mean that they don't release when backing up?? Or did you special order electric brakes instead of hydraulic?

The typical hydraulic surge brakes are not electrically actuated.....
AUSTRAILIA MC package includes ELECTRIC/HYDRO Brake Mods

2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
Think before I post ..."Do I need to say this? Or should I just let someone else complain "
Old 03-18-2015, 06:10 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x30, 2015 6.2ops
I have a similar problem Zasby. I'm in Tassie. My. X30 arrived in December. I have a Q7 tow vehicle and a Redarc pro. My auto electrician couldn't make it work so I had the Audi dealership wire it in for me. Trouble is it doesn't work. I've had the boat at the lake since it arrived but bought it home to Hobart a couple of weeks ago. Working in Rockhampton this week but home next and intend to go back to Audi to try to figure out what is wrong. I thought possibly the Redarc was at fault but if you are having problems as well... who knows. I know the Audi system is a bit complex and your BMW is probably the same. If I get anything that might help, I'll let you know. Plan to go back into the dealer next week.

Tags
trailer brakes