Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X2
Lesson Learned

I had my '13 X2 back to the dealer again for another 3 week stay trying to fix some of the never ending issues the boat has had since I purchased it. The Dealer is 3 hours away so last week I finally had a free afternoon to head over and pick it up. On the way back home I blew a tire on the single axle trailer on a crappy 2 lane road with no shoulder. I have a spare for the trailer but the dealer had a porter pick the boat up so the spare was sitting in my garage because of course I forgot to get it before I left. After sitting as a partial road block for 3 hours waiting on a tire service I finally got rolling again. I made it approximately 50 miles before the other tire blew. Another 2 hours waiting on the tire service to get me another tire and my 6 hour round trip turned into 12 hours. Not to mention the $800 bill for the tire service and the damage done to the trailer from 2 blown tires.

Until yesterday morning I had just assumed that the tires were in need of replacement. But, as I put the boat in the water to move back onto the lift in my back yard I went to put the boat onto a plane and all of a sudden it hit me. The ballast tanks were full of water. The dealer had done a lake test on my boat because it has a leak somewhere and apparently they left the tanks full after filling them to check for leaks.

Normally I would expect the dealer to cover the costs incurred as a result of their negligence but I have already exhausted my efforts in dealing with these guys. So, As if I didn't have enough reasons based on previous shortcomings to take my business elsewhere, I now have another. In the future I will personally check the ballast tanks after dealer service. Yet another lesson learned the had way.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '95 BF200 Yamaha ProV 200, '94 PS190 LT1 1:1
Oh man, that sucks. People think I am nuts but anytime I go anywhere with the boat, I always take my extra spare (besides the one on the trailer) and my big hydaulic 3 ton jack...overkill but keeps me sane...

Did you get uour boat fixed for the original problem you took it in for?
Old 03-14-2016, 12:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X2
No. It has had an overheating problem, electrical problems, and has been leaking since I purchased it. I have had several topics on here trying to get help working through them. All of these have been ongoing since I purchased it. This time around I was blamed for everything resulting from my use/abuse of the boat. I have never been more disappointed with a large purchase as I have been with this boat. I have owned 3 Mastercrafts prior to this one and they were flawless. Most of the blame I place on the dealer but I am on the fence about buying another Mastercraft product as a result.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
I would at least call the shop and let them what happened. If they are a service minded outfit they will provide some kind of compensation. Yes, I'm of the mindset that the driver is 100% responsible for the load. However, The tanks were filled, tested and worked on by them. Tech should of emptied the tanks. CALMLY make your point with them and it's more likely you'll get a positive response. I was more apt to go way above and beyond when someone was calm and not demanding. "You pick a fight - You get a fight"
Old 03-14-2016, 12:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
agree ... i would call and be professional about it and see if they are will to do anything because there is shared responsibility

sorry for your crappy day ... can't imagine how frustrating that was
Old 03-14-2016, 12:25 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
The boat was purchased new and these issues have never been fixed?? If that is the case somebody should step in and fix the boat correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
What a horror story. Very sorry to hear this, I'd be making a call to MC corporate after all that.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 X-Star, 330 LTR
Not to add insult to injury but make sure and look for gelcoat cracks. The boat was stressed that much harder on the trailer with extra weight.

Sorry for your hastle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
What a horror story. Very sorry to hear this, I'd be making a call to MC corporate after all that.
Sorry to hear about your day from hell. I can't imagine how you felt on the side of the road - twice in the same day!

I agree with Scott. I would call Corporate and calmly go through your list of issues with this boat as well as this last experience at the dealership and see what they say. If most of these issues started (and were documented by the dealer) when the boat was under warranty then you may have more leverage than you think.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 03-14-2016, 02:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
This is a prime example of how a good dealership employs a huge chunk of consideration when buying a boat. Even the best boats have issues. Dealerships choose how much support you get on your issues and warranty claims. 3 yrs of ongoing issues is enough to drive anyone bat$&; crazy.

I would be on the phone w MC corporate immediately. I hope you detailed everything in your own records, if not I would be a heading to dealership and ask for copy of them all before things get ugly. Hell I bet even some dealers that visit the board regularly would be willing to go the extra mile. Quite honestly I think you e given them their chance and you haven't been able to enjoy a product you should be enjoying and not worrying about. I personally am advocating a change in that realm. Depending on where you sit financially I'd be looking to get out.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique