Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 AM
codypalmer0386

Resetting a check engine

Need some help please.

Was on the lake this weekend when all of a sudden my radio shuts off and the check engine alarm comes on with great sounding constant beep on my 07 x2. I think I may have have resolved the problem but the alarm comes in about 15 seconds after I start the boat, I can silence it using the gauge selector and it stays away until i shut the engine off again. I read that if the code throws it will stay in until a dealer can reset it? Does anyone know of a way to reset it without having a dealer plug into it? I'm trying to eliminate going to the dealer just to have them reset a code because its a 3 hour trip one way for me. I've read that some people have luck with the 3 warm-up/cool down cycles. Is that as simple as getting up to 160 degrees and then shutting the boat down and waiting for it to cool down to less than 80 degrees and rinse and repeat? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: ER xstar
You'll probably want someone to pull it for you to ensure the problem is resolved. A few people around here have the rinda scanner units that can pull codes. Where are you located?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 PM
codypalmer0386

I'm in northwest Colorado.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:01 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Cody, check out this post about user names and guest accounts, if you like.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=45683

Your 07 is going to be a MEFI 5 ECU and requires a semi expensive scanner/software cable to reset the trouble codes/alarms. These products are made by Rinda Tech.

I would make sure your battery(ies) are fully charged and after that you might be able to get the ECU to reset with 3 warm up and cool down cycles of the engine.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 08-01-2017, 03:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X15 MCX with every option
I have an 07 X15 and MEFI 5.

Yes, the 3 full warm ups and 3 FULL cool downs does reset the alarm, as long as the actual issue is gone.

Often times it is a TPS (throttle position sensor) or I've had a misfire from one of the cylinders set it off. In my cases, the dealer said that an occasionally, the computer misreads a signal and trips the alarm.

I've never had an actual issue. Boat has never gone into limp mode. Dealer also said that 2007 sensors are "sensitive" among other years and it is unfortunately pretty common.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: In the Works
So I took CantRepeats advice and read that accounts post, so now im back with a fancy new name and a better account status, thanks for the heads up on that.

Hey Upnorth, I'm curious on the warm up and cool down sequence, How long is the process? Do you get it up to running temp and then let it cool to less than 80 degrees before starting the next sequence or can you let it cool to around 100-120 and start the sequence again?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by cbreck0318; 08-01-2017 at 04:19 PM.