Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
How much for the mc cans?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Oops never mind, looks like they want wet sounds. The jl's can hang with wet sounds easily when powered by a exile harpoon amp. And I own wet sounds!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZX9 View Post
I would say that a good majority of listening will be sitting on the platform or near by. So maybe sucking it up for the Rev 8 would be the way to go if that is the case. I'll maybe pair it up with a Syn2 so if I want a second pair it will work in Parallel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZX9 View Post
Yeah, but what about at the end of the rope?
Surf rope or wake-board rope? The Icon-8 recommendation was based of your earlier post indicating your primary listen would be near-field. If you are looking for projection at wake-board length, then the previously suggested Rev-8 will give you that projection and yet still sound smoother near-field then the older Pro80 or any other 8" HLCD. The Icon has a fairly strong tweeter, so if sufficiently power, I feel it can be heard at wake-board length, but not quite the projection of an HLCD though.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 07 X-15
pics?, Price?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Surf rope or wake-board rope? The Icon-8 recommendation was based of your earlier post indicating your primary listen would be near-field. If you are looking for projection at wake-board length, then the previously suggested Rev-8 will give you that projection and yet still sound smoother near-field then the older Pro80 or any other 8" HLCD. The Icon has a fairly strong tweeter, so if sufficiently power, I feel it can be heard at wake-board length, but not quite the projection of an HLCD though.
I agree my comment was a little conflicting. I want a speaker you can hear well when wakeboarding but also sounds good at the back of the boat for chilling out. We listen to music more just Chill'n sippn on a cold one more than boarding so I want a projecting speaker that doesn't have a screeching horn sound at close range and elevated volume. I've thought of maybe a set of Rev8's with a set of Icon8's or Mb8's to lower the intense horn/treble.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerdave View Post
pics?, Price?
If your looking for my cans they are not for sale just yet. Adding these speakers is a monster investment and will most likely not happen this summer.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
"Screeching" is not automatically the characteristic of a horn loaded tweeter. "Screeching" is generally the result of an ubrupt change in treble amplitude or an amplitude inequity just like "boomy" is most often caused by a woofer that is too dominant in amplitude, at least at the point of intersection with the fullrange speakers and not necessarily an inherent quality of a particular size of woofer or type of enclosure.

You can bank on this. Part one: That which is loudest projects the farthest. That which is loudest is the least linear. Part two: That which is the most linear (smoother response) has less output and is more challenged when projecting. Part three: That which is over-driven the most in an attempt to project a great distance sounds the worst in the boat regardless of the speaker type. Part four: Hybrid mixes of dissimilar speakers are less efficient and have less output. That makes them less cost-effective. The concept is completely dead now that HLCDs are using larger midbass drivers and have made a number of SQ refinements.

To my ears (subjective), the REV8 is every bit as smooth as an Icon8. The REV8 plays a little louder and projects a little farther. The Icon8 remains a great and less expensive option. I would want two pair to project with some authority at wake range.

An EQ allows you to run a speaker unbridled for maximum projection while underway and make a few personal SQ adjustments when kicked back and in close proximity where maximum volume is no longer the objective.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 08-02-2012, 01:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

How much gain in sound would four icons give me over two rev8?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 Super Air Nautique 230 TE- 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
"

To my ears (subjective), the REV8 is every bit as smooth as an Icon8. The REV8 plays a little louder and projects a little farther. The Icon8 remains a great and less expensive option. I would want two pair to project with some authority at wake range.

David
Earmark Marine
David, it sounds (no pun intended) like the Rev8 is the way to go over the Icon8 unless cost is the only factor. Do the Icon8's have any advantage other than cost?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardNBama View Post
David, it sounds (no pun intended) like the Rev8 is the way to go over the Icon8 unless cost is the only factor. Do the Icon8's have any advantage other than cost?
Several seasons ago, if near field listening at rest was your priority, then you might stay clear of the more powerful but erratic sounding HLCD.
With the evolution of the Rev series, I don't think that is the case now.
Here is one advantage of the Icon8 over a Rev8...the Icon8 has a smaller midbass voice coil and is a little less challenging to drive. So if my power was limited to 125 watts per driver, for example, then I would package the Icon8 with that power. Balance is important. Now the amplifier and speakers are both less cost and accumlatively that would make a big difference in the budget.
If cost was a non-issue, then I would elect to run Rev8s for the top end potential and would drive them with an honest 200 min. to 300 max. watts each.

David