Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 AM
TT Regular

FM Antenna - Recommendations

I have a 2013 190 with the CMD6 head unit and I am looking for recommendations on an FM antenna. I crawled under the dash last night and there is an antenna plugged into it, but I am not sure if it is just a wire antenna or what as it disappears into the boat wiring harness. Right now we only get two FM stations. I know everyone is going to tell me to connect it to sirius/xm, but I am tighter than the bark on a tree when it comes to spending money. Using the ipod is fine for music, but we occasionally like to listen to the nascar race or a ballgame when we are out on the water. I am NOT going to drill a hole and put a regular automotive type antenna on the boat. Does anyone have an recommendations on a decent fm antenna that I can mount under the bow?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Check out www.crutchfield.com for ideas. We got ours from there several years back. We got a powered FM antenna with an adhesive back. We stuck ours on the fiberglass under the dash. It does not give what I would call excellent reception, but it is workable.
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottawatta View Post
I have a 2013 190 with the CMD6 head unit and I am looking for recommendations on an FM antenna. I crawled under the dash last night and there is an antenna plugged into it, but I am not sure if it is just a wire antenna or what as it disappears into the boat wiring harness. Right now we only get two FM stations. I know everyone is going to tell me to connect it to sirius/xm, but I am tighter than the bark on a tree when it comes to spending money. Using the ipod is fine for music, but we occasionally like to listen to the nascar race or a ballgame when we are out on the water. I am NOT going to drill a hole and put a regular automotive type antenna on the boat. Does anyone have an recommendations on a decent fm antenna that I can mount under the bow?
Buy a cheap AM/FM car antenna with an adjustable mast. The length can be changed, to allow better reception in places where multipath is a problem. The higher mass of the mast picks up the signal better, so range will be less of an issue but it still won't be great in all locations.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Drilling a hole in a boat for a standard automotive antenna is asking to put someone's eye out.
Hiding a mast antenna as Jim suggested often works. I prefer a solid 30" mast. You can experiment with the location and direction.
I'm a little concerned that you stated you get only two stations. I would give you better odds of success if you got many stations but received them poorly.
If the distance from the radio transmissions are just too far away, or you do boating in a recessed body of water then there is not much you can do to improve your reception.
This is the best performing boat FM antenna I have used:
http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xca...cat=299&page=1
Increased gain increases multipath equal to the increase in signal strength. So electronic amplified antennas are not a good solution for moving vehicles in an urban area. But it is a great solution in a typical marine environment.
Multipath is not an issue with a stationary or slow moving boat in a rural area without large/tall reflective buildings.

David
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 AM
MC Master Poster

Re: multipath, mountainous regions and deep valleys are another issue- if this is being used in this kind of terrain, make sure the tower is available for line of sight (or close to it) if decent reception is to be expected.

The amplified antenna in the link is the only one I found to work, too. The ones I used were from Harada, but I'm sure someone else is selling them, now.

Check for AM stations- if absolutely no stations come in, the antenna is bad/not suitable for AM. If you can receive AM stations, FM should come in fairly well, too. No guarantees, though. FM range is usually not much more than 50-70 miles with flat ground, with some exceptions.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Skipper

I have that same antenna. Bought it at Orielly Auto Parts. Not the greatest reception but it can be mounted in the windshield. I may try that option.