Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X Star SS / Crusader 6.0 375HP
Stereo cutting off w/ 'Chk Eng' Message??

Hi, I haven't seen this problem anywhere on the forum so I'm starting a new thread:

I have an 07 X Star SS with the Crusader 6.0 engine. As the engine is in gear and usually under power/high RPMs, the "CHK ENG" message pops up in the left digital display (under the tachometer). When this happens, the only thing that changes is the stereo cuts out. The previous owner had 4 big Wetsounds speakers on the tower and an additional amp (3 total) installed, the amp was from eBay. When this happens I can hit the 'display select' switch on the right side and it resets the system for another few minutes. The time varies from 1 min to 20 min. It only happens w/ the engine running and normally at above-idle RPM. I don't play music loud and it sometimes even happens with the stero already turned off. The system was installed at the Greenville, SC dealership.

The question: Could the stereo be tripping the Check Engine warning? If so, why? And how do I fix it? Could it be that the stereo is drawing too much from the alternator?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 x star. PWT
How did you solve this? I am having the same problem.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I don't think they are related. When the Check Engine" alarm goes off, it does interrupt the head unit so that you will hear the alarm. This is by design. You could completely disconnect your stereo system to diagnose whether the check alarm stops happening, but my bet is that it will continue and has nothing to do with your stereo. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Very odd behavior. When I hear of something like this I think of a bad ground, missing ground, incorrect ground, a ground, ground, ground problem somewhere. It can be hard to track down, especially when the error is often illogical to begin with. Physically check even those terminations that visually appear to be secure.
Next, I think of EVERYTHING audio should go to the 'C' post of the Perko switch and not battery direct, including the helm buss and starter/alternator feed.
Next, I think of bad voltage regulation where the alternator is developing voltage that's too high. This can easily be measured.
Next, I think of a bad audio component that must be eliminated or substituted to isolate.
Time to roll up your sleeves.

David
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 PM
TT Newbie

Fixed it!!

Hey all... I stumbled on to the solution for the problem when I was changing my spark plugs. Under the plastic top cover on the motor was a random plug just unplugged. Plugged it back in and I was back to normal. So, search the engine for any random electrical connections that have disconnected. Not sure if that will be the fix for all of them, but that little queer-tron was enough to disconnect the radio for me. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar, 1999, 330 LTR
can you post a picture of the plug that was unplugged? My boat is having a similar issue.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Mods- Delete this post, please.

Last edited by JimN; 07-10-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 AM
TT Newbie

Sorry, I would post a pic but I had to sell my boat (USAF stationed over seas). It was just under the large plastic cover on the top of the engine. Sorry I can't help more.

JimN wants me to delete the post... ok, but any reason?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvickers38 View Post
Sorry, I would post a pic but I had to sell my boat (USAF stationed over seas). It was just under the large plastic cover on the top of the engine. Sorry I can't help more.

JimN wants me to delete the post... ok, but any reason?
I didn't mean that your post needed to be deleted, I had written a response that included something about a loose connection without seeing that you found the problem. I'll edit my post. Sorry for that and thanks for your service.

Tags
amp, check engine, electrical, electrical problems, stereo