Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190, Ford 351
Damper Plate

it damper plateneeds replacing is it ok to continue to use the boat until it fails? Will it cause additional problems to the transmission if it completely goes out while in operation? I'm considering replacing myself but if I can'tIt's mid summer and may take months to get it back if we put it in the shop?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
A damaged damper plate will not cause internal transmission damage. the transmission only weighs about a 100 pounds and is a simply job to remove. You could probably have the transmission out in about 4 beers.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 PM
TT Newbie

I've disconnected the shaft and moved it back. Removed all visible bolts around the bell housing and have removed blts from engine mounts. I've supported the rear of the motor using bottle jacks. Any tricks to sliding the transmission back? it seems it is still "holding on". Do I have to remove the starter?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Yes remove the starter.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 06-17-2012, 12:58 PM
TT Newbie

Damper plate removed. Springs appear to be intact. The only thing I can visibly find is a light bit of cracking around one of the rivets attaching it to the plate. It appears structurally sound and just looks like the paint is cracking? It does however sit a millimeter or two further out from the plate on the opposite side from this I see. Your thoughts. I will email you pictures.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:05 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micnic View Post
Damper plate removed. Springs appear to be intact. The only thing I can visibly find is a light bit of cracking around one of the rivets attaching it to the plate. It appears structurally sound and just looks like the paint is cracking? It does however sit a millimeter or two further out from the plate on the opposite side from this I see. Your thoughts. I will email you pictures.
Could the springs just be beginning to lbreak loose? I did tear it down after the very first outing in which the rattle was heard.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 190 Tristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micnic View Post
Did you figure out what the problem with your damper plate?

I was wondering if you put a new damper plate in and if it solved your issue?

Really curious because I'm gonna be doing this soon myself.