Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Need advice on a MC Tri-Star 190

First of all I would like to introduce myself as I am new here and also to boating! With that being said my son (16) is wanting dad to get a wake board boat so him and his friends can do some wake boarding.. This boat will mainly be for weekend excursions on the lake with our two sons and their friends having fun. No pro-wake boarding just a bunch of beginners! LOL

I have found a 1989 Master Craft tri-star 190 "Open Bow" with approx 1,000 hrs on it..They are asking $4,500 obo for everything listed! The interior seats are "Trashed" but has new carpet. Upholstery is what my parents & I done for 30 yrs so that means nothing to me to fix. The guy says the boat runs & drives Great and because it has run so good all he has done the last three years was routine maint. changing the engine oil & trans fluid every spring, rebuilt the starter in spring, new coil this year. He says it was never gave him any problems at all and has been a very easy boat to own.. The owner states he wants to get out of everything as he just can not affor it anymore..

He said the speedometers are not very accurate and they clog up real easy ?? He just used a GPS for MPH...

This boat is 5 hrs away from me so I would like to know what exactly to look for on this boat since I know nothing about them or what to look for... He said we can take it out for a spin so that's good news at least...

Boat comes with the following:

Twin axle MC trailer w/spare
Bimini Top
Wake Tower w/ 4-speakers
Blaupunket stereo receiver
3- Liquid force wake boards
Ski's
Double person tube
Several ropes w/handles
Two fat sacks
Life jackets/vests

Would this be a good beginner boat for beginner wake boarders or should I be looking at something else?

*Boat on the water:

*Boat & Trailer:

*Old carpet removed:

*New Carpet installed:

SW.

Last edited by scot w.; 09-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
pictures and price? pictures of engine...check faq here for a list of things to check... click here
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
pictures and price? pictures of engine...check faq here for a list of things to check... click here
Yeah I looked at that list and even printed it out but was simply wondering if there is something specific to this boat that should be looked at..

I will leave the price out for now until after I look at it in a couple days...

SW.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
I think it's a great boat for beginners. I have a 1990 that I purchased at the end of the season last year. It only had 270 hours and in pretty good shape. Trailer is a little rough, but original, and some stitching coming apart on the vinyl. I paid 8k for it but it didnt come with any toys or accessories. I love the boat though. I wakeboard behind it every weekend and I can clear wake to wake without any ballast and only my wife driving. 22mph. I cant wait to put some weight in it and getting a real non-stretch wakeboarding rope. However, boat gets pretty cramped with more than four or five adults, and it doesnt handle choppy water well at all. Is that a ford 351w or the chevy 350?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft 209 Sammy Duvall
looks like a nice project to me! a little sweat hasnt killed anybody
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.H. View Post
I think it's a great boat for beginners. I have a 1990 that I purchased at the end of the season last year. It only had 270 hours and in pretty good shape. Trailer is a little rough, but original, and some stitching coming apart on the vinyl. I paid 8k for it but it didnt come with any toys or accessories. I love the boat though. I wakeboard behind it every weekend and I can clear wake to wake without any ballast and only my wife driving. 22mph. I cant wait to put some weight in it and getting a real non-stretch wakeboarding rope. However, boat gets pretty cramped with more than four or five adults, and it doesnt handle choppy water well at all. Is that a ford 351w or the chevy 350?
The owner says it's a 351w engine... anything special to look for with these engines?

Here are a few more pic's:

Last edited by scot w.; 09-03-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC209 View Post
looks like a nice project to me! a little sweat hasnt killed anybody
I thought so too! I think if the engine runs good and there is no issues at all with it I think it will be fun to restore and enjoy on weekends with the family.

The owner had mentioned that it is cold natured (Carb/choke issue assume).
Old 09-03-2012, 04:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Love the PVC straight pipes. The stuff people do to save a buck makes me laugh / cringe sometimes!

I'm assuming the pics show the boat pre "new carpet", 'cause that carpet looks far from new to me.

For the right price and some work on your part, looks like good times.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 09-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
Love the PVC straight pipes. The stuff people do to save a buck makes me laugh / cringe sometimes!

I'm assuming the pics show the boat pre "new carpet", 'cause that carpet looks far from new to me.

For the right price and some work on your part, looks like good times.
The "New carpet" is the 4th & 5th pictures in the first section of pic's, the old was a greenish blue and the new is gray..

Good find on the exhaust! This is exactly why I posted these pic's so you guys who know what your doing can spot stuff like this out for me... I wouldn't have known...LOL

Does everything else look okay?

Can you or someone post a picture of what the exhaust is supposed to be like so if I get this boat I can put it back the right way?

SW.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Does the passenger side "muffler" have holes or is that just the pic? There are others on here who have gone the PVC route for cost reasons or to replace mufflers cause they want to sound like Ricky Bobby on the water.