Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
Water Leak Possibly???

Got a 2011 Maristar...bought it in May with 25 hours on it. Was told that the boat would take on a small amount of water. My question is that we've noticed the bilge pump constantly turning on but not necessarily pumping out water. When we open up the hole and look in, we consistantly have about 4" deep of water in the bottom of the boat. Should we always take on a little bit of water when boat is in the water? The hole is so small...how am I supposed to look around and see where the water is coming from if it's a leak?

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
First thing to check is all your engine hose connections. Dry the bilge of load the boat on the trailer and let the bilge drain. Then put the boat back in the water and run engine at idle. Don't fill any ballast tanks if you have them. Check all the hose connections and look for a leak.

If the water is not coming from the engine, it's either prop shaft or rudder port. Your boat should have a dripless seal on the prop shaft with a small hose going to it. Make sure that hose is clamped on and not leaking.

Do you have ballast tanks? If so, they could also be leaking.

How does your bilge pump run but not pump any water? Water level is what makes the pump turn itself on.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190
A little bit of water finding its way in I would say is normal. But 4 inches??? that is not normal unless you are boating in a downpour! Also, if there is that much water but the bilge pump isnt pumping anything out there is definately a problem with the pump system or its location. Does the boat have a ballast system?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
The bilge pump comes on but does not necessarily pump any water at that time. Then later in the evening when boat is tied to my dock, all of the sudden a steady stream of water starts pumping out. If I had to to guess, I'd say 2 gallons at least. Did find that the impellar was spinning around the shaft on bilge pump, fixed that for now. But, now I need to track where the water is coming from.

This forum has turned out to be a great resource for me. Thank you so much for your input. Off to the lake on Thursday to track the leak.

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!