Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205
Trailer Bearing Grease

My CRC Marine grease is melting and expanding. What waterproof marine grease are you using in your trailer bearings?
Old 08-26-2005, 10:50 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
I am just using some “LubriMatic” stuff from the parts store. It is marine grease. You are sure your grease at no point has been mixed with another kind??

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 08-26-2005, 11:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmithaz
My CRC Marine grease is melting and expanding. What waterproof marine grease are you using in your trailer bearings?
As my experience with trailer bearings whether it is for snowmobiles, boats, cars, utility, we have used standard automobile grade wheel bearing grease we get at the local parts store. I believe as I have been informed years ago, Marine grease is for pivots, and wearable items that get wet. Its very sticky and does not do well with heat.
You wheel bearings should be sealed anyway.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Bob

Thumbs up Trailer Bearing grease

Tried Krazy Grease, a water proof grease I bought on line. It is amazing! Doesn't wash out and lasts a long time. I greased the trailer bearings in April and after probably over 40 trips in and out at the launch the bearings are still spinning like they were new. Found it at krazygrease.com
Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
LubriMatic Marine Corrosion Control and Trailer Wheel bearing greese for me. Dropping point is 550 degrees F. If melting, then perhaps your hubs are getting too hot? I believe it is normal to have some expansion and contraction with heating up and cooling down. Do you check you hubs periodically during a towing? When I check mine I expect warm to slightly hot to the touch but not so much that I can not keep my hand on the hub without discomfort.

But now I have oil bath; so far - knock on wood.

If using bearing buddies, I'd cover them with the plastic covers available as a measure to keep as much water out as possible.