Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes
btw- love that your wife thought it was a better idea to buy a ski boat than go on vacation!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Rebuilding a Holley is an incredibly easy job, but you can't do any shortcuts without paying the price. Most people have poor results because they decide to not soak their carb in cleaner for a sufficient amount of time. Attention to detail is what it is all about.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Powershot S&S
Got the carb back together after receiving the proper needles and flange gasket. Put it back on last night and it seems as tho everything is working well. I cant really tell until I get the boat out on the water and run it for a while (when the issue started occurring) but it fired right up and captured idled very well after a few good revs and killing it suddenly. I am going to Donner Lake, which is at about 8,000 ft so I didn't do much in terms of tuning as I will have to mess with the mixture when I get there again. I live in So Cal so the elevation is much less.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:29 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Sorry, forgot to take those pictures yesterday. Here is my carb rebuild kit from holley. As you can see it has the 1/4" thick plate for the TB. All indications point to it being the "Holley Renew Kit #703-33. Keep in mind, I didn't buy this. The guy I bought my boat from gave this to me as an "extra" that he bought a long time ago when he didn't know whether or not Holley would continue making these rebuild kits. My boat is an 83 also... and I can't confirm which carb I have at the moment (not by the boat to look). I can double check what carb I have for reference next time I'm by the boat if you'd like. Hope this helps.
Thanks, MZIMME. Looks like I did get what I needed.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Good deal.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 MasterCraft 351
Congrats on the purchase and the marriage! Looks like a very clean boat!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
TT Regular

My family has a house on Donner Lake, which is about 30 min from North Shore Tahoe. We pulled in Sat afternoon and dropped the boat in for the first time yesterday. Carb was running pretty well! I didn't tune it more than the 1.5 turns to get it to start while I was at home b/c I knew I would be at 5000 ft elevation here. I tuned it up yesterday to about 4.5 turns out and t seems to be running great up here.

Only issue is this: 1 out of every 10 starts out of the hole it bogs down. My guess is b/c the engine cover doesnt let enough clean air through while idling so the mixture is off. Anyone else have this issue and how did you fix it?

Here's a shot if Honey on the lake:

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Beautiful spot. If you think there isn't enough air under the hood (which is unlikely) leave the blower on and there will be plenty. More likely is the accelerator pump volume needs to be adjusted, or your carb is running a little too rich. You could look at a plug or two for color to see how close the carb is. 4.5 turns seems like a lot, but I have no experience tuning a Holley at altitude. To tune it properly, you should be changing jets, not just trying to compensate with idle mixture.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM
TT Regular

Im out now. Going to try leaving the blower on. If not I'll work the accelerator pump.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2012, 01:20 PM
TT Regular

Accelerator pump needed to be re-installed. It has a good shot from idle now.

Problem now is starting. When I took the carb apart, I fixed the pump but then adjusted the float. I have it set parallel to the bottom now. When I brought it back out it fired up but I forgot to put the choke wires on so it died. Reconnected that and inspected the linkage and it seemed to be fine.

From there, it was very hard to start. Turned the idle mix screws back in waited a while, pumped the gas a few times and it started but rough. Adjusted idle screws pump the gas a few times to see if the accelerator pump was adjusted properly and it ran pretty well. After about 10 min, I shut it down.

Came out this morning to fire it up and got nothing. The crank from the battery seems a bit low and I noticed there was fuel coming from the venturies (sp?), which I thought wasn't supposed to happen at idle. If the float level is set incorrectly, could that be sending fuel through the Venturi? Other than that, it's idle screws or bad battery... Can I test the battery with it connected?

Sent using Tapatalk