Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Pickwick's Avatar
Pickwick Pickwick is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 2009 MasterCraft PS 197 TT
Location: Southeast
Posts: 173
Black Boat Fun

My boat is a black 2009 and is not oxidized but is a bit dull in spots from rubbing (cover, people in and out, etc). You think i could just get by with Finesse it II and a perfect it wool or foam pad? I have a good circular polisher and was hoping I would see good results from just a one or two step process and probably skip super duty compounds or wet sanding.

Thoughts? Please include brands and specific product names.

PS - my stainless rub rail has bad water/wax build up on it...tips?

Thanks!

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2014, 06:35 PM
trickskier's Avatar
trickskier trickskier is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Location: "THE GATOR NATION"
Posts: 10,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickwick View Post
My boat is a black 2009 and is not oxidized but is a bit dull in spots from rubbing (cover, people in and out, etc). You think i could just get by with Finesse it II and a perfect it wool or foam pad? I have a good circular polisher and was hoping I would see good results from just a one or two step process and probably skip super duty compounds or wet sanding.

Thoughts? Please include brands and specific product names.

PS - my stainless rub rail has bad water/wax build up on it...tips?

Thanks!

Jim
Please post some pics.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Aric'sX15's Avatar
Aric'sX15 Aric'sX15 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: 85' S&S
Location: DFDUB
Posts: 4,161
Depending on how bad the dullness is, I would go with the perfect it pad with the imperial compound (3m 06044) , then with the perfect it. Pics would for sure help!
__________________
"if one day the speed kills me, do not cry because i was smiling." -Paul Walker
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Kevin@MWMC's Avatar
Kevin@MWMC Kevin@MWMC is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 288
This is what we use in our shop.

Wizards Turbo Cut
http://www.waterskis.com/Wizards-Tur..._turbo_cut.htm

Follow that with Wizards Shine Master Polish
http://www.waterskis.com/Wizards-Shi...aster_16oz.htm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 PM
blackhawk's Avatar
blackhawk blackhawk is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Location: Virginia
Posts: 382
I would start out with 3M-05928 Finesse-it with a 3M-05711 blended wool pad and see if that does it. If that doesn't work go back a step and use 3M-06044 imperial compound with a 3M-05719 100% wool pad.
__________________

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2014, 06:49 AM
Pickwick's Avatar
Pickwick Pickwick is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 2009 MasterCraft PS 197 TT
Location: Southeast
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier View Post
Please post some pics.
I don't think it would show up in a picture. They're surface scratches that you can see in the light.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Pickwick's Avatar
Pickwick Pickwick is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 2009 MasterCraft PS 197 TT
Location: Southeast
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Depending on how bad the dullness is, I would go with the perfect it pad with the imperial compound (3m 06044) , then with the perfect it. Pics would for sure help!
So just the pad second?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Pickwick's Avatar
Pickwick Pickwick is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 2009 MasterCraft PS 197 TT
Location: Southeast
Posts: 173
Think I'll try Blackhawk's recommendation. I'm a little leary of using a compound and I can't figure out the purpose of the foam pads versus the blended wool.

Last edited by Pickwick; 03-19-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 AM
Pickwick's Avatar
Pickwick Pickwick is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Boat: 2009 MasterCraft PS 197 TT
Location: Southeast
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@MWMC View Post
This is what we use in our shop.

Wizards Turbo Cut
http://www.waterskis.com/Wizards-Tur..._turbo_cut.htm

Follow that with Wizards Shine Master Polish
http://www.waterskis.com/Wizards-Shi...aster_16oz.htm
What pads do you use?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Kevin@MWMC's Avatar
Kevin@MWMC Kevin@MWMC is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickwick View Post
What pads do you use?
Usually start off with a wool pad, and then finish up with a foam pad.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 PM.