Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 AM
lake weir skier lake weir skier is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 74
Matching existing gelcoat color in a gelcoat repair

What is your experience matching the color of your existing gelcoat in a gelcoat repair? Did you personally use pigments to color the gelcoat? Were you able to get a close match to your boat? Did you start with a gelcoat close in color to your boat and adjust it or did you start with a base like white, neutral, or black? What colors were you matching on your boat?

For those of us with older boats, it seems there are several options if we want a good color match to our gelcoat: (1) purchase gelcoat in a color marketed as the factory original and adjust it for age effects and other differences, (2) purchase gelcoat in a color that is not factory original but is pretty close and make the same sort of adjustments, (3) start with a base such as white, neutral, or black and color it with pigments to match your boat, or (4) pay someone to produce gelcoat with a custom match of the color of your boat using a sample of the boat. What are your experiences with these approaches?

I need to match Oyster (Off-White) and Dark Teal on a 1994 boat. My research indicates that if you were going to take the approach of starting with a base, you would start with a white base for the Oyster and a neutral base for the Dark Teal. One video series recommended to me on here warns it’s considerably tougher to do the dark colors that start with a neutral base than it is to do off-whites that start with a white base. Anybody got an experience to share doing a darker color, such as Deak Teal, from neutral base gelcoat?
__________________
1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1

Last edited by lake weir skier; 04-11-2014 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Stritt's Avatar
Stritt Stritt is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Location: Farragut, TN/ Star Point Marina @ Dale Hollow
Posts: 680
http://minicraft.com/contactus.htm

Can't help you with your questions, however you aren't far from Wildwood. Mini Craft speacializes in gelcoat located in Wildwood, I pass by them on the way to my dad's place in Tavares. Sure they could offer good advice.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 9,317
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
there are videos on youtube.. gel coat wont set up with out catalyst but will dry enough to let you see if you color will match up.

also other vendors in the library...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=59719
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 AM
JRW160's Avatar
JRW160 JRW160 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: 2003 X2
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,152
I just bought the factory colors from spectrum when I did gelcoat work. The red was spot on. The black and white are slightly off, but you have to be looking for it to see it. I don't think I could have gotten it any closer mixing the colors myself.
__________________
2003 X2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2014, 02:01 PM
lake weir skier lake weir skier is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stritt View Post
http://minicraft.com/contactus.htm

Can't help you with your questions, however you aren't far from Wildwood. Mini Craft speacializes in gelcoat located in Wildwood, I pass by them on the way to my dad's place in Tavares. Sure they could offer good advice.
I thought the same thing when I saw them mentioned last night in another thread and noticed they were in Wildwood, only about 35 minutes from me. I was hoping having my boat in physical proximity would be an advantage. However, their sales department just told me it wouldn't help in a custom match because they have no way to bring a boat inside to their color matching equipment. For a custom match, they would need part of the boat. I don't see how to do that with the dark teal stripe without creating damage to the boat I would have to repair.

The prices they quoted are astronomical. They want $136.95 for a quart of the factory color, which is 53 percent higher than Spectrum Color from iboats for the Oyster I need. Much to my surprise, they want that same price for a gelcoat in a base such as white or neutral, which puts them about 5 Ĺ times what Express Composites wants for a quality Ashland Maxguard gelcoat. What they quoted me on pigment is at least double what Iíve seen elsewhere.
__________________
1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Stritt's Avatar
Stritt Stritt is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Location: Farragut, TN/ Star Point Marina @ Dale Hollow
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
I thought the same thing when I saw them mentioned last night in another thread and noticed they were in Wildwood, only about 35 minutes from me. I was hoping having my boat in physical proximity would be an advantage. However, their sales department just told me it wouldn't help in a custom match because they have no way to bring a boat inside to their color matching equipment. For a custom match, they would need part of the boat. I don't see how to do that with the dark teal stripe without creating damage to the boat I would have to repair.

The prices they quoted are astronomical. They want $136.95 for a quart of the factory color, which is 53 percent higher than Spectrum Color from iboats for the Oyster I need. Much to my surprise, they want that same price for a gelcoat in a base such as white or neutral, which puts them about 5 Ĺ times what Express Composites wants for a quality Ashland Maxguard gelcoat. What they quoted me on pigment is at least double what Iíve seen elsewhere.
Ouch!! Thought I would thow it out as an option due to proximity. They listed MC colors when I looked them up awhile back, stickmwith spectrum and get a patch kit. Our boat is getting new interior and gel fixed in a couple spots so I don't have to mess with it, good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 AM
lake weir skier lake weir skier is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stritt View Post
Ouch!! Thought I would thow it out as an option due to proximity. They listed MC colors when I looked them up awhile back, stickmwith spectrum and get a patch kit. Our boat is getting new interior and gel fixed in a couple spots so I don't have to mess with it, good luck!
And, according to the Mini-Craft website, they want $85 per color for custom color matching, which is what their salesman recommended as the best approach to get a good match given the age of my boat. They don't seem to be too interested in do-it-yourselfers doing small jobs.

An issue with Spectrum is Dark Teal is a non-stocking color for which they only offer a gallon of gelcoat, which is probably about 124 ounces more than my Dark Teal repairs will require. Another issue is, as they warn, it probably won't match a boat that has aged for twenty years.

Blackhawk recommended a video series by Andy Miller, who does fiberglass work professionally in northern Wisconsin (Miller Boatworks). Miller says his primary supplier is Express Composites in Minneapolis. Miller says they have reasonable prices and a helpful staff. So far, I'm finding that to be true. I've had one conversation with them and have gotten some prices. They are a family run business that seems customer friendly and focused on getting me a good result. They are sending me an Ashland Maxguard Instint fan deck. I'm going to compare it to my boat and take it from there.
__________________
1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 AM
lake weir skier lake weir skier is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 74
I'm still wondering if anyone on here has created a dark color, such as dark teal, from neutral gelcoat base successfully.

It seems there might be a choice between doing color mixing myself and doing more repair work to repair areas sampled for a custom match by the professionals that would not require me to mix colors. Given all the caveats I've seen from sellers, I would not be willing to pay for factory original color in the belief I would be satisfied with the match to my 20 year old gelcoat.

Anybody got experience getting Express Composites to custom match a color for them from a customer-supplied sample of cured gelcoat?
__________________
1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1

Last edited by lake weir skier; 04-11-2014 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.