Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-11-2014, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Xstar
tower is a bit of a mess, what are my options?

My tower is a mess (aesthetically, not mechanically) and lets the appearance of the rest of the boat down.. The 2000 xstar doesnt have the nicest tower in the first place, however I am in no rush to replace it, it just needs a little attention. Primarily it is dirty, scratched, the finish around the welds a little white - all in all just been exposed to the elements for 14 years.

I'm weighing up my options. Currently I am thinking on taking it off the boat, attacking it with a stainless scouring pad to clean it up a little. Clearly I dont want to eat through the anodized layer, nor do I want to scratch the brushed finish unnecessarily.

The 2nd option is to media blast the tower and powder coat it however I'm not sure how a powder coated tower would look on an old boat that doesn't have any other shiny bling bits on it.. And it costs a lot more than the first option.

Suggestions welcome
Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
If you do decide to replace it someone had an 07 X2 tower for sale on here. I can't find the thread though. That might be too wide.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
A guy I know coated his tower with plasti dip. It's cheap and removable if you don't like it
Old 04-11-2014, 01:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
my 2001 xstar had cracks in some of the welds, but I sold the boat before I had a chance to repair it. That tower is super ridgid and I liked the fact that you could sit on the top of it, or jump off it into the water.
If the welds are not cracked ( look very closely/carefully) I would remove the tower have it de-anodized and re-anodized in the same clear color. Powder coating is not as durable of a finish as anodizing, it can scratch, chip and sometimes just flake off is the surface prep is not well done. Powder coating has gotten better in the last few years for colorfastness with UV inhibitors, but I still see quite a few examples of faded powdercoating. Anodized color can fade quite badly with UV exposure, thats why I recommend a clear color anodize. Be sure to check with the anodizer you are using that the clear color is the color you want - sometimes there can be slight changes in hue.

Last edited by craig3972; 04-11-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:52 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Consider maybe getting it wrapped? Depending on the boat color, this could look really sharp. If your boat has any black gelcoat, a black tower always looks good.

Ask you local wrap installer.

You could also remove it and send it out to a professional that polishes aluminum. I did this to my Skyski and it came out great!