Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-20-2012, 03:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
I'm gonna give this a bump to see if anyone has a wiring diagram for this. Prob be useful in the future and i'd like to know for sure what each wire does.
There are only three wires- the green is a ground, to keep static from being a problem, the black is the signal ground and the other is HOT.

Just in case it's necessary to comment- never connect a harness when the fumes from the tank are present and if the person working on the boat is wearing long pants (if the humidity is extremely low, it doesn't matter), discharge any static electricity before touching the wires to the MDC box that controls the gauges or if the fumes are present.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
found the terminal release tool at

http://www.pcsconnectors.com/12094430.aspx

these are not the more common weather pack connections it looks like a person should be able to use a thin piece of steel to release the tang and take out the terminals for cleaning and "adjustment"
Old 07-20-2012, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 PS 197
New harness is 25 bucks at the dealer
Old 07-20-2012, 07:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCAnderson View Post
found the terminal release tool at

http://www.pcsconnectors.com/12094430.aspx

these are not the more common weather pack connections it looks like a person should be able to use a thin piece of steel to release the tang and take out the terminals for cleaning and "adjustment"
That's a terminal release tool- they have several. I don't remember, but the terminals may be "pull to seat", rather than "push to seat". Each uses a different tool.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
There are only three wires- the green is a ground, to keep static from being a problem, the black is the signal ground and the other is HOT.

Just in case it's necessary to comment- never connect a harness when the fumes from the tank are present and if the person working on the boat is wearing long pants (if the humidity is extremely low, it doesn't matter), discharge any static electricity before touching the wires to the MDC box that controls the gauges or if the fumes are present.

Thanks, when i was messing with the connector it seemed to me that the green wire was the one causing the problem, but i must have been wrong. I'm really hoping that i've got it fixed for now, its not a huge problem but it sure can get annoying.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
I worked on mine over the weekend using a small flat screwdriver like the king you might use to tighten the screws in your eye glasses. I was able to insert the screw drive under the contact an push the terminal out the back of the socket. a bit of cleaning with starting fluid and re-positioning of the metal and that was enough. We'll see if this is more than another temporary solution.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Ordered a new wiring harness (with the black connector) from Rambo Marine $38 + shipping. In the meantime, my quick fix is to shoot some electrical contact cleaner into both ends of the connection, work them back & forth a few times and secure with a new hair tie. Been good for two weekends so far.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
When you get the new harness remove the bolt near the connector (in the first picture) first as it will cause you to force the connector in at an angle and possibly bend the pins again. Once the black connector is installed in the pump then replace the bolt.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Good Idea. The new harness came with a plastic shroud around the wires. Was thinking of cutting off a section of the plastic near the bolt for more clearance. Not a great design, they should have taken the connector vs. bolt location into consideration. Looked at my old fuel pump assembly and the yellow/black connection can't be rotated into a better position.

Also have to figure out where the green wire is attached. It's about 4 feet long, encased in plastic with a screw attachment fitting on the end. The current one goes into a hole under the back seat. Will have to take off a back panel to figure it out.

Last edited by BallBushing; 07-29-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
The green wire probably goes to or went to your filler neck. On mine it actually is connected to the harness for the fuel sender and the went to the filler neck. However it was removed due to recall I believe. I"ll look for that info and post the link.