Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Fuel Pump Wiring Harness

The electrical connection between the yellow socket and 3 wire black plug tends to jiggle loose and cause the engine to die. I currently use my daughters hair tie to keep the parts together. However, the connection is still not the best and needs to be re-plugged every now & then. My question is: Where can I buy a new 3 wire black connector? or is it possible to bend the internal sockets in the black plug to get a better connection? Any info is appreciated.Name:  Fuel Pump Harness.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  63.6 KB
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
I have exactly the same problem with my boat. I tried using tie wraps, wire, elastics and tape trying to get it to hold in place but it would still cut out atleast once every time we took the boat out. I found that it wasn't the connector not being pushed in far enough, it was the actual pins inside the connector. I pulled it apart and bent things to make better contact and its been good so far. It hasn't happened in the last 15 hours i put on the boat so i think i have the issue solved. Once i park the boat for the winter i'm going to pull out the connector and find a replacement just to make sure the problem doesnt happen again.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
Mine is doing the same thing as well. Drives me crazy.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
I have exactly the same problem with my boat. I tried using tie wraps, wire, elastics and tape trying to get it to hold in place but it would still cut out atleast once every time we took the boat out. I found that it wasn't the connector not being pushed in far enough, it was the actual pins inside the connector. I pulled it apart and bent things to make better contact and its been good so far. It hasn't happened in the last 15 hours i put on the boat so i think i have the issue solved. Once i park the boat for the winter i'm going to pull out the connector and find a replacement just to make sure the problem doesnt happen again.
To confirm, did you bend things inside the black connector? I'm thinking that would be easiest.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallBushing View Post
To confirm, did you bend things inside the black connector? I'm thinking that would be easiest.

Ya i pushed the sockets out of the black connector and then i adjusted them so they grip the pins inside the yellow end on the fuel pump a little tighter. I adjusted all three wires but i know it was just the green wire that was giving me trouble. Its working for now, but i really should just replace the connector, as i think it'll loosen up again over time.

Its funny, the previous owner must have had this problem as well and misdiagnosed it. The boat has a brand new fuel pump, and all the wiring to the pump is new except he reused the last 6 inches of the harness and the old connector.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Find a schematic for the pump- I'm not sure the green wire has anything to do with how/if the pump will work.

Is it just the way the photo looks, or is the yellow plastic broken off or worn, where the black retainer clip slides over? It looks like it may allow the black housing to slide backward.

How many times has the harness been removed from the pump?

That should be a Packard connector. The only thing that could be considered a problem is that the terminals (the metal clips) will need to be installed using the proper crimper if you only replace them or the black plastic part. Del City may have them. If you buy a repair harness, use Heat N Seal splices with low temperature solder, not just regular butt connectors.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

The yellow connector is new. I also misdiagnosed the problem and bought a new fuel assembly. (could not find an exact replacement for the fuel pump itself). The problem is with the black retainer clip. it's bent backwards and will not hold onto the yellow part.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm gonna give this a bump to see if anyone has a wiring diagram for this. Prob be useful in the future and i'd like to know for sure what each wire does.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
any insight on how to get the terminals out of the connector?

I have the exact same issue on my '01 209. Only took me a year to figure out and to fix temporarily but annoying as all get for the skier that is waiting on the platform.

Last edited by CCAnderson; 07-23-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCAnderson View Post
any insight on how to get the terminals out of the connector?

I have the exact same issue on my '01 209. Only took me a year to figure out and to fix temporarily buy annoying as all get for the skier that is waiting on the platform.
They need special tools. Not that something can't be improvised, but it risks damaging the terminal or retainer. If you have a T pin or something heavier than a stick pin, you should be able to close the female terminal enough to make better contact. If the retainer is damaged, this won't matter- it should be replaced. These are probably Packard connectors.