Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 Powerslot 19' 351windsor PCM
1981 Star and Stripes Upholstery?

Just bought a 1981 S&S this week. While the interior is in pretty good shape, its still the original aqua marine color and I would like to update it a little more. These are basically just slip over covers that Mastercraft used back then that snap into place. Rear bench is just a cushion on the floor.

Anyone know of a direct source for replacement covers at all?

Last edited by addictedoffroad; 07-05-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 84 mastercraft stars and stripes 351 with powerslot
I don't think you'll have any luck with factory style replacments but ill let the other ss boys weigh in. I have seen new custom upholstery which looks pretty sweet. Nice boat.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpondkid View Post
I don't think you'll have any luck with factory style replacments but ill let the other ss boys weigh in. I have seen new custom upholstery which looks pretty sweet. Nice boat.
I figured as much. I'm taking it to get some quotes tomorrow from some local places.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 PM
TT Newbie

I would really like to see some custom interiors in a few SS boats.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars&Stripes, 351w, grey and blue
Congrats and welcome to the board and a new addiction! That boats seems to be in really good shape. I'd use it as is right now and have the upholstery done over the winter. There is a company that makes replacement skins http://www.mastercraftskins.com/www....raftSkins.html but you'd have to install them yourself or send them your interior pieces so they came make them for you. You won't find too many with custom interiors other than choice of vinyl and colors. There is a thread on here of someone replacing the rear seat with an custom built sundeck to lay on (complete with cup holders and speakers). If I find it again I'll post it. What would you like to do to change the interior?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:01 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxberger View Post
Congrats and welcome to the board and a new addiction! That boats seems to be in really good shape. I'd use it as is right now and have the upholstery done over the winter. There is a company that makes replacement skins http://www.mastercraftskins.com/www....raftSkins.html but you'd have to install them yourself or send them your interior pieces so they came make them for you. You won't find too many with custom interiors other than choice of vinyl and colors. There is a thread on here of someone replacing the rear seat with an custom built sundeck to lay on (complete with cup holders and speakers). If I find it again I'll post it. What would you like to do to change the interior?
Honestly. the color is the major issue. Overall the interior is still in good enough shape. I will run it through this season easily. I just took the boat in today to a local upholstery shop to get a quote. She took measurements and I told her what I would like to see. I am ordering a gray bimini today off of Amazon for it, and the new color will be a light grey with a royal blue piping. The blue will match the little pin stripe next to the big SS sticker. I am also having her quote out the motor cover with the later optional stripe with the stars embroidered in. Eventually I may have the boat painted and re-gelled to match this, but will run it a few seasons like this.

My wife actually likes the color, but I am pretty OCD about it and I know that it just won't be "mine" until I make it my own. I used to borrow a buddy's late 80s MC Tristar open bow, and the color I want is really similar.

This is what I am eventually after:
Old 07-06-2012, 05:11 PM
TT Newbie

Here is what I have now:

I believe it to be all original except for a couple touched up sections on the driver's seat and one strip of the observer's seat. Boat itself only has 420 hours on it.

I looked at several boats over the last few weeks. What sold me on this one was the amazing condition of the hull itself. It doesn't look like this boat has ever been beached. I just wish it was a different color is all. But, this is going to be a project and I will make it better while still trying to keep the nostalgic look of that era.

FWIW, I passed on an 84' Malibu Skier, an 86' Ski Centurion, another 84' S&S, a couple Supras, and a Sanger. All of which had different issue, but all had one main one. All had been beached regularly and the Keels and belly was worked over.

This 81' is damn near perfect. Its been babied since day 1. Problem is that is also been "baby blue" since day1.

Last edited by addictedoffroad; 07-07-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes / 351 PCM
Need resto tips for your '81? Come check us out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/102832819752389/

Find more info on my latest project on FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=102832819752389

"Keeping the dream alive."
Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
Awesome!!

After you get the new interior into it, let me know if you want to sell your old seats.i have a 79 same color and want it all original , but by seats were redone in a dark blue that doesn't match.

Scott

Beautiful boat!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 PM
TT Newbie

So, after a few weeks of waiting for a quote I finally got one at $2000 or $2150 if I want to have the stars embroidered on the engine cover to match the F&R gelcoat ones.

This shop came highly recommended, but I'm not sure on the price. Most of these are just covers and honestly, they aren't in bad enough shape to worry about at that price.

For those of you who have had your interior re-done, what are you paying?