Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 09-03-2014, 12:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX
AirChair What's it worth?

I have an older AirChair/Skyski V 38 that I just can't get the hang of, and I'm getting tired of trying! I'm thinking of selling it. What's it worth? Pictures are forthcoming.

Thanks,
Dylan

EDIT: It's extremely similar to this one, but I'm sure the value has changed. http://www.foilforum.com/forums/show...r-v38-for-sale

Everything works, and is in excellent condition. I think it's all stock. 38" bar.

Last edited by Dylan; 09-03-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I have a similar AirChair, but it's at least 10 years old and showing it's age. I don't have any idea of current value.

When you say "can't get the hang of it", where are you failing? Getting up, flying, jumping, doing aerials? Have you hooked up with any other riders to help teaching?

I'm pretty reliable at flying and jumping, but I figure I'm never going to progress to my goal of being able to invert successfully. It's still a blast to ride.

/frank
Old 09-03-2014, 01:38 PM
MC Fanatic

I think this ski is a 2012.

This thing just defeats me... I can get up occasionally, but can't get the balance of forward/back once I'm up and it's a bucking bronco at that point. I either have the foil all the way up or I'm submarine. I do have someone teaching me but they're more of a natural towards it, and I am not.

I also have an injury from an old motorcross accident which left me with limited mobility of my left ankle, but it hasn't stopped me from wakeboarding, slalom, barefooting, etc.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 07 X-Star
Your asking price is alittle steep usually see them in 750-1000 price range!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM
MC Devotee

I've seen the old AirChairs (with the flat blade) going for $500-$700; yours should be worth significantly more than that.

If you want to keep trying, make sure you're using a no-stretch rope, and make sure you're sitting so that your back and the back of your butt cheeks aren't off the back of the seat - run your hand down your back to the seat to verify.

Make sure you're using the "beginner" rear wing - it should be flat (not curved), and make sure the right wedge is in place.

If you have a boat with PerfectPass or something similar, it'll make life much easier - the AirChair is remarkably sensitive to boat acceleration. Something that automatically keeps speed constant is a godsend.

Try slowing down - run the boat at 10-12. This will make it very difficult to "fly" the ski, so you'll be on the surface like a wakeboard. Get comfortable with that, to the point that you can follow the boat, and go back and forth inside the wake. The speed should be fast enough that you're planing on the water, but slow enough that there's no danger of lifting off. Don't pull in - leave your arms loose and extended.

The, speed up a couple of MPH. When learning to fly, there's a counterintuitive motion of "raise your hands above your head to go down, lower them to your knees to go up". Your goal is to fly six inches above the water - if you start going higher, raise your arms. At this point, things should happen slowly, and all you're trying to do is teach your body to do the right thing at the right time.

We find that people learn more in the boat than on the water - when learning, we pull them until they stop making progress, then put them in the boat for half an hour. When they go back out next time, they will have made progress just from sitting and letting their mind adjust to what was going wrong.

We normally chair at about 20. Work your way up there slowly. As you speed up, things happen faster, so get stable and good at one speed before ratcheting it up in one to two mph increments.

Consider going to a fly-in at the river before you give up - there's a lot of people there who've taught a lot of people; you may find out you can figure it out!

/frank
Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamax View Post
Your asking price is alittle steep usually see them in 750-1000 price range!
That's not my ad, but thanks for the value assessment. That's the info I was looking for!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Lean forward and learn to ride on the deck before the foil.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks Frank and Tay. I haven't tried slowing down to 12, but that sounds frustrating. I think I'm at 15ish. The riding the deck thing is what I can't accomplish. In the rare occasion I level out, I am usually 6" or so above the water or nose diving.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Put your butt further forward on the seat. Keep back straight and lean forward. Don't use you feet and can spread your knees to be a little more stable.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:11 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I haven't tried slowing down to 12, but that sounds frustrating
More frustrating than what you're going through?