Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Sky Ski Air Roll

I am on about my third week of having received the ZBest foil setup from Mike Murphy, and what a huge improvement over the Pro SS! It has taken some getting used to bc this one is much more sensitive and has more pop with the larger wings and longer tbar. I finally decided to try an air roll and I was pleasantly surprised. I just need to work on my technique. I am able to rotate completely around, however, I am over rotating and doing two complete rotations. I need to hold onto the rope with both hands and spot my landing better. While I was not able to ride one away in the 6 or seven attempts I took, I can't wait to get out there and try again. BTW, that is my neighbor's boat, as I did not get mine out this time, bc we were short on time.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
You look way up on the boat for throwing an air roll. You need line tension to help with your trick.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I rode a SS for 4-5 years and last year moved up on a better setup. On the SS you can easily throw the trick while hucking the roll. On the longer bar and better wings you must jump, rotate, land and try not to huck it. Meaning try to throw the trick after you are completely out of the water not trying to use the wings to help you rotate before you jump or leave the water.

I'm by far no expert and have only ridden my new ski 2x and completely understand the double gainer aspect. I'm doing 1 3/4 gainers knowing on the second gainer that I am not high enough to land it. Such a comforting feeling lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 07-15-2014, 03:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Speaking of foils, is a 9 year old Air Chair Stealth @ $625 a good deal?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You look way up on the boat for throwing an air roll. You need line tension to help with your trick.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I rode a SS for 4-5 years and last year moved up on a better setup. On the SS you can easily throw the trick while hucking the roll. On the longer bar and better wings you must jump, rotate, land and try not to huck it. Meaning try to throw the trick after you are completely out of the water not trying to use the wings to help you rotate before you jump or leave the water.

I'm by far no expert and have only ridden my new ski 2x and completely understand the double gainer aspect. I'm doing 1 3/4 gainers knowing on the second gainer that I am not high enough to land it. Such a comforting feeling lol.
You are correct on this. I plan on jumping, counting to one and then turning into the back roll. I am hucking it as you say and initiating the trick before I exit the water. I think it is just an optical illusion on be being up on the boat, although I was using a slalom rope, which is shorter than my normal rope by 10-15'. My goal last summer was to learn to ride and jump and this being the second season, I am wanting to land my first invert. With the gainer, I can do basically the same thing, but I can't seem to make the cut out far enough for the line to get slack enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Speaking of foils, is a 9 year old Air Chair Stealth @ $625 a good deal?
That is a decent deal, depending on the shape of the foil. I would suggest trying to find a billet Sky Ski Pro SS for the first one though. You will more than likely pay more than $650, but it will be worth it, as it will be easier to learn on and sell when the time comes. Give Mike Murphy a call to see what he has in the way of a used foil. I sold him my old tbar and wings, so he may be able to cut you a deal on that.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Star, 2001 5.7L LTR
That is a nice foil setup!

My advice on an air roll is to charge away from the wake up on the foil. There will be a point where the foil will feel like it is dropping. At that point is where you need to initiate the jump. Ride the line as long as you can before starting the roll. If you hold it long enough the boat will pull you around the rope. Two hands makes the roll easier, but is not required.

A big air roll is so much fun. Especially when you finish the roll and you are still way in air.

If you want to study up. Get on foil forum and look for posts on "the dark side" there is some great info there.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1772 View Post
That is a nice foil setup!

My advice on an air roll is to charge away from the wake up on the foil. There will be a point where the foil will feel like it is dropping. At that point is where you need to initiate the jump. Ride the line as long as you can before starting the roll. If you hold it long enough the boat will pull you around the rope. Two hands makes the roll easier, but is not required.

A big air roll is so much fun. Especially when you finish the roll and you are still way in air.

If you want to study up. Get on foil forum and look for posts on "the dark side" there is some great info there.
I have been on the foil forum and watched the tutorial several times. I have gone back through after actually attempting the air roll. Thanks for the advice. I think I need to work on getting more height as well on my regular jumps. Unfortunately, I am the only one on my lake with a foil, so I am doing trial and error on my own. There is one other foiler about 30 mins from me on another lake who is much better than I am, but we don't get that many chances to get together and ride, unfortunately.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

I'm in the same situation as you, where I'm the only foiler on my reservoir. Although I've been fortunate to cross paths with some very good riders that were able to give me some pointers.

To get a real good jump in the flats, do the same as I mentioned before. You need to be cutting away from the boat with speed. The speed is more to get you out than it is for the jump. When you feel the foil start to dip, initiate the jump.

What line length and speed are you riding at?

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 AM
MC Devotee

I am riding with a 70' rope at 22mph. I think the next time I go out, I may slow it down to about 19 or so to try the inverts. I also am having an issue getting sideways when trying to go big, so I have been taking the cut a little on the slow side to try to work my way up. When I go slow, my jump is perfect, just not that high. The landings on Murphy's setup are much softer than the Pro SS was, and I am liking that.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

I've never had much luck with inverters below 22. But it can't hurt to try.

What do you mean by getting sideways? That could be because you are squaring up with the boat before throwing the roll. I've had much better luck with air roles if I'm pointed away from the boat. Say the boat is at 12 o'clock. Point the foil at 11 o'clock.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 PM
MC Devotee

Well, when I am going sideways, I am not trying a roll. I am just trying to get a good wake to wake with some height. I can get some height, but I just come off, usually landing on my left side. I think when I am making the jump, I pull a little more on my left side, taking me off axis. On the subject of going slower than 22 for an invert, I heard someone say that Mike Murphy teaches people at 15-16mph on their first inverts, which is even crazier. Unfortunately, I am not going to make it to the lake this weekend, but will be there next weekend. I will try to get some video and post it on the foil forum. I may have a video hanging around with one of the sideways jumps.