Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 08-25-2005, 05:19 PM
TT Regular

Help with TS Backroll

The last quarter of the roation is getting me. I am turning slightly towards the boat(revert) about an 8th of a turn which is causing me to slide out on my heals, where I should be landing on my toeside edge. I will post a link to the video tonight to see if any of you guys can help me out. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2005, 05:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Hold the handle over to the side that is falling behind. This will pull it square with the boat.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:43 PM
TT Regular

I am going out tomorrow so I will give that a try. I have been doing some additional reading and it sounds like a may be making a mistake by letting go with my rear hand when I come off of the top of the wake. Thanks for the help. If I cant stick it tomorrow I will be sure to post a video.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Boatless
Make sure when you are leaving the wake you have both hands on the handle with more pull coming from you back hand. As you leave the wake and start your rotation take your back hand off as you come around on the last 1/3 of the flip. At this point you should put the handle on your front butt cheek with your front hand. Keep your chest up and make sure you are facing the opposite shore to get your weight over your toes. Good luck...
Old 08-27-2005, 12:23 AM
TT Regular

Going out tomorrow to give your tips a try. Here is a video that I took a couple of days ago. You can see how early I am letting go with that back hand, it also looks like I may be pulling the handle across my body with that lead hand. Hopefully I can dial it in this weekend. There are also a few hs 360 attempts as well as a TS front roll that ended up looking kind of weird. I think for the HS 360 I am not pulling the handle to the small of my back with both hands; tomorrow I am going to try pulling longer with both hands. Thanks for the tips, if you see anything else feel free to let me know.

Lastly, I am thinking that with the TS Backroll I should probably shorten up my cut, when watching the video it looks as if I am coming off of my edge a little early(not progressive enough).

Here is the link to the video:
http://www.wakepics.com/img/16723

Last edited by mhsb1029; 08-27-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:26 AM
TT Regular

TS Backroll:
Definately looks like you are pulling with your front hand across your body. Make sure you don't open your shoulders to the boat. To help with this, on your aproach make sure your shoulders are completely closed off (people in the boat should only see the back of your shoulders). Concentrate on looking to the other shore and put the handle on your front butt cheek.

HS 3:
Pull with both hand and don't give up on the trick. A lot of people bail on this one and you really have more time then you think. Try to give a good tug on the rope in the trough of the wake just before you jump to give yourself more slack. It makes the handle much easier to pass.

TS Front:
Try the scarecrow - just let go with your front hand and the boat will pull you the 180. I found these easier to learn first. If you insist on the front roll - you need to wait a tad longer on your pop and stomp your front foot into the wake harder. When you come around on the last 1/3 of the rotation you have to fling your heels under your really hard to get your weight over your toes.

Good luck...
Old 08-28-2005, 11:37 PM
TT Regular

Alt-

Awesome tips.

Healside frontside 3
I landed the hs3 today and was amazed at how long I could actually hold on with both hands before I made the handle pass. Holding on longer with both hands and pulling harder after I left the top of the wake really helped out. I now understand what you mean about the amount of time that you have in the air.

TS Backroll
I ate SH&* a couple times today while holding on with both hands but I started to get ahold of it. It just felt so weird to rotate like that with both hands on the handle. What you said about keeping my shoulders closed to the boat is making some sense to me now. I was close to landing the last 2 that I tried today I just over-rotated one and under-rotated the other; I was not coming down revert, so thats good.

HS Frontroll
Only tried one today, I was so tired from working on the rest of the stuff as well as just doing some free riding. I am going to try and see what happens next time when I hold my edge and stomp that front foot the next time I go out. Maybe I will give the scarecrow a shot.

Once again, thanks for the help. Its great to have people out there who will actually take the time to look at a video and give suggestions. I will make sure and post a video of me landing a HS3 when I land another, as well as when I land my first TS backroll and frontroll.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:14 AM
TT Regular

I'm assuming you meant TS Front from above and not "HS Frontroll"?

Glad to here about the 3.... TS Backs can have some painfull crashes if you come up short. Just make sure you ride all the way up the wake to get maximum pop.

Don't sweat the TS front roll. They might take a while to learn but the crashes are pretty forgiving. You will land on your butt probably the first few times... Just wear some extra padding under the shorts because you will smack your balls a few times ...
Old 08-29-2005, 03:22 PM
TT Regular

Yea, I did mean the TS Front. I have been wearing my shorty wetsuit when trying the TS Front, I learned the hardway when first attempting it!

Mark