Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-31-2004, 12:20 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
4x4

This may be a long shot but there are a lot of mechanically inclined people on this board so here goes:
I have a 99 Land Rover Discovery Series II with about 71K miles. Also, no lift.
For the past 4 months I have been fighting a driveline vibration. I bought a new custom driveshaft from Great Basin Rovers and have sent it back 3 times to be balanced. Every time there was a different reason as to why it was out of balance. A machine problem, or the "good" balance guy was out of town. The last time I sent it back it was squealing pretty badly. Sounded like it was coming from the double carden joint. I removed the driveshaft and noticed the centering kit would catch when rotating around. Sent it back and again the balancing machine had a bad part and they got it balanced again. With the driveshaft out the vibrations and squealing are gone. Anyway I got it back last night and installed it. Squealing is still present but the vibrations are gone.
In the words of Larry the Cable Guy, "I'm as frustrated as watching a legless Ethiopian watching a doughnut role down a hill."
Old 08-31-2004, 12:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
I feel for you. I had a Cherokee with the same problem. What caused the axle to go out of balance in the first place?
Old 08-31-2004, 01:00 PM
MC Addict

Land Rovers did not come with serviceable u-joints in the double carden joint. Over time, and being between the cats, they dry out and fail. I have heard of people having there's fail going down the highway. Takes the transfer case and more than likely the transmission with it. That's about a $3000+ fix not including the bill the have the driver's seat cleaned.
An interesting side story is that I overheard a Nissan service tech telling a customer that his new Frontier did not have serviceable u-joints and they were maintenance free. Yeah right!

Last edited by bcampbe7; 08-31-2004 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I had non-service'able joints on my '93 Dakota... wish I would have thought about a custom shaft before it took my X-fer case with it! A $500 repair (for the new driveshaft & yoke) turned into $2k for the x-fer case also.

It took NAPA & the local Mopar dealership about 5 incorrect joints (each one ordered with a 3-5 day wait - of course) before Dodge finally said it was a "non-service'able" part.

Gotta love those "non-maintenance" parts!

Sorry - no answer for you - just feeling your pain.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
BTW - ask me why I will never drive a Dodge again!
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:11 PM
MC Addict

Talked with Great Basin and they are sending me a factory rebuilt driveshaft (new serviceable joints and new centering kit) and giving me a refund. I sent mine to them as a core so getting a full refund is out of the question I guess. I asked for my money back, but this is what was offered. Hopefully I will not have problems with this one. It will be about 7 days before I get it. We'll see what happens.
This is almost therapeutic to vent out these frustrations with dealing with this same problem for months. I'll get up off the couch now...
Old 08-31-2004, 01:13 PM
MC Addict

LOL-Jimmer, ditto on why I will never buy a Land Rover again...
Old 08-31-2004, 02:58 PM
Knoxes

That blows. But thanks. Every time I start eyeing one of those, I hear a story like this. My pal at work has one, 2000 model, I think, and has had nothing but problems.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:10 PM
MC Addict

Unfortuantely we were pre-warned prior to buying it. My brother-in-law has an older model Discovery.
I guess a lot of vehicles have problems. The problem with Land Rovers is that they are costly to fix. The parts and labor are expensive. In Middle Tennessee labor charges are upwards of $85/hour. In California, I have heard as high as $120/hour. Another problem is finding somewhere other than the dealer to work on the thing. Probably why the labor costs are so high. Most mechanics around here, for the common vehicles, are around $50/hour.
It would be sold by now, but it's paid for. A few hundred dollars every now and then is better than several hundred every month.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Knoxes

One of the problems my buddy faced with his: After buying it new in 2000, it took him about a month before he figured out that there wasn't a cushion on one side in the back seat. How does that happen? So on his first visit to the dealer, they "adjusted" it. Then, after months and months (this went on for almost 2 years) they finally got him a new seat. At one point, they tried to get him to take a velour (sp?) replacement for his black leather! Note that they weren't going to replace the entire interior, just that one seat - in velour. It's a nice ride, but man, I don't want those hassles.