Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Campbell

Here's how to get mildew stains gone completely.

After you have spent $$$$ on a ton of products that dont work, consider this, it worked on my 1995 205. The upholstery shop told me i needed to replace it because the stain was permanently set in, so I had nothing to loose in experimenting with what could work. Fortunately I found something that did work and the interior looks great!

If your interior is not torn but appears to be permananetly mildew stained and nothing will get it out, I found the answer. Take a fast evaporating PAint Reducer (Ex: PPG DT870) and a box of clean rags. Poor the reducer on the rag and wipe a 3in by 3in spot on your seat and it will return to its original bright color. Be careful not to mix applying areas that are different in color. IT takes along time because you have to change out rags every time you wipe a spot. I used rolls of paper towels folded into squares. The paint reducer will temporarily soften the vinyl , but since its fast evaporating, it will do that for only a few seconds. Afterwards apply some vinvly protector over vinyl after done with the entire boat
Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Let's see some pics of this boat! Lots of questions coming out.....did you just get it? Might just throw out an introductory post on the main page with pictures of the new ride......

Sounds like you're busy!

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45, 2005
Do you think this will help with sunfade?

Just got my '05 X45 and want to clean up the interior a bit.....

Thx!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbaca View Post
Do you think this will help with sunfade?

Just got my '05 X45 and want to clean up the interior a bit.....

Thx!
With a statement "nothing to loose" comes out from the OP, it sounds like that stuff is pretty powerful. I would first try something a little more tame. A 2005 shouldn't bee too bad yet......

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft S&S Powerslot, 351 Windsor
Send a message via AIM to americanskierJim
As a body shop owner and painter I would not recomend to use it on vinyl old or new. It could do alot of damage if you dont know how to use it. I am glad to hear that Campbell had good luck with it. Just my little input "I wouldn't use it".
Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45, 2005
Question

Thx for the input. I'll keep looking for something a little milder........

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any suggestions on products other than mineral oil (read the "is armor all bad for vinyl" thread)........
Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Campbell

Response

I'll take a few pics and post them. It came out looking brand new. My boat is a 1995 prostar 205 that I bought in the spring of 2009 and am in Texas. The interior was redone by the previous owner in 2004 (He let it sit on a lift in Louisiana -through Katrina/Rita -The humidity and swamp air brought a ton of mold and mildew stain on it). The cleaning did help bring the color out on the sun faded areas, especially the engine cover (be sure to only wipe the color area, if you wipe from blue onto white it will bleed over. Then you just have to take another rag and clean the white area over again if you happen to get messy). I did this treatment to it in Sept. The vinyl is still in good shape and I have had no after effects. And yes, I was in the paint and body business as well. I would also reccommend doing this process carefully. Do a small test spot and you will work into it. Remember the reducer's chemical properties does soften the vinyl which allows the stain to lift or come out (especially from between the fine crevaces and cracks imbedded in the vinyl) By using a fast evaporating reducer, especially on a warm day it evaporates very very fast. That is why you can only do a 3inch by 3inch area at a time with a clean rag each time. Most reducers will say what temp. you can use them in to be effective. If its hotter than the reccommended temp for usuage then it will evaporate even faster. When it evaporates its gone and does nothing to your boat. So if it never evaporated in 36 degree weather and was pooling on your seat then yes it could eventually damage the seat.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Campbell

Vinyl Conditioner and Protector

By the way I put about 20 hrs to do the entire boat. After that I like using the 3M Vinyl Protectant and conditioner. You can get a bottle of it for around $14 at Academy Sports and Outdoors or you can order it from Overtons. It puts a nice protectant but does nothing towards actually cleaning hard stains etc...
Old 03-08-2010, 06:37 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
When I got my used '03 Maristar it had alot of mildew from the last owner putting the cover on while the interior was still wet. I used magic erasers with good results. 303 protectant after that. Not sure it it will work with mildew "stains" however.

For carpets with greasy spots, we would use brake clean on a rag but be careful as it could slightly change the carpet color if you use too much. Not sure if this would work on the seats though.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Campbell

Pics of vinyl restoration

Well hopefully I uploaded these right. Here are couple of pics of the vinyl- mildew free
Attached Images