Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 08-25-2005, 01:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes Skier
Rear Seat rebuild

I am going to start building a new bench seat for my S&S, it didn't have one when I bought it. Does anyone know where I would go to get the foam and vinyll, or is anyone willing to sell a rear seat?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:04 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Hi Richard. I replied in the other thread. I've seen seat foam at Hancock fabrics (or a similar store). I'm refabing an OEM jump seat for my 93 205. I ordered the vinyl replacement from MC. That way, there's not guessing as to dimensions.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190
I would contact your local upholstery supply and then look at the different foams available (different weight ratings such as 44# 80# 120#. In Atlanta, B&A supply on Marjan Drive has a wide variety. While re-doing the interior of my Tristar, I'm changing to the 120# for the seat bases to raise the driver as well as provide more cushion for bumps. Foam's not cheap though, it nearly doubled in price in the past year due to the cost of oil. For a 2x24x80 piece, I paid $45 2-3 months ago whereas I'd paid in the $20's last summer for a similar piece. Also, as funny as it may seem, the foam is difficult to cut so that it won't show the uneven lines once you get the vynil over it. Through asking lots of questions, I've found that an electric filet knife works great for straight cuts and general shaping and then for the curved areas, make the initial cuts with the filet knife and then use a belt sander with a coarse belt to actually shape the foam. Works very well.....
Old 08-25-2005, 07:54 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I butchered up some foam once using a knife, The upholstery supply said I should have used a band saw.