Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-21-2006, 09:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioProstar
Don't get me wrong...both of those schools have a proud tradition. They just let coaches with a "win and any cost" attitude give them bad press.
True.........but trust me when I say NE has nothing else exciting to do other than their college ball....... I just wish the heritage of NE football would get back on track.......

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 09-21-2006, 09:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
They will bounce back. I don't think any team travels as well as Nebraska.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:01 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
They will bounce back. I don't think any team travels as well as Nebraska.
True........I just miss watching the team I grew up watching.....the baddest in the league!! My family has been season ticket holders for greater than 60 years now. It's a family thang and we miss our team.

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 09-21-2006, 10:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADBLUE
UT is starting to look like teams in south Florida in terms of arrests and teams issues.

Quote:
If you look at programs that ran off a number of National Titles (Nebraska, Miami, etc) to only have years of headlines and arrests you will usually find a coach who is willing to put up with problem children that other programs would not keep on the team. While these kids can give quick boasts to programs...they will bring the team down given time.

OK

Let's look at these statements. Anybody see a trend? All Nationally Recognized teams that are cover by a plethora of media outlets. If one is naive enough to believe that off-field problems only happen at South Florida Schools, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc that is fine. There are issues everywhere there are 18-23 year old kids being treated like rock stars. While most of them only get a mention in the local paper or maybe across the crawler on ESPN News, the Big Schools fall subject to media outlets (espically ESPN) who are trying to make news, not just report it. Tennessee is a prime example of this. How many papers across the state cover Tennessee Football? How many times has ESPN gone after Tennessee either for academic infractions or to report stories that reflect negatively? Sure the Head Coach is ultimately responsible. But when you get into the larger schools, who recruit nationally it is much easier to let a few bad apples into the program.

Should South Carolina fire Spurrier because his starting quarterback got into a bar fight? Georgia's current quarterbacks coach, Mike Bobo couldn't stay out of bar fights as a player at UGA. Should Richt be fired?

It is everywhere. the difference is who covers it and how.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
Sure there are bad apples when recruiting. I believe the difference is that coaches who claim to be "Player's Coaches" always tend to allow the small things to slide....then all of a sudden that behavior snow balls into big problems. I am not just singling out other teams. Look at Michigan State under Bobby Williams. Every day another issue came up, the QB was an addict, the running back got a DUI after dragging a cop who was hangin on the door of the vehicle, etc. It was a mess that killed the program that Saban built to last. The big difference is how do coaches respond with kids get in trouble and break the rules.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Sure there are bad apples when recruiting. I believe the difference is that coaches who claim to be "Player's Coaches" always tend to allow the small things to slide....then all of a sudden that behavior snow balls into big problems. I am not just singling out other teams. Look at Michigan State under Bobby Williams. Every day another issue came up, the QB was an addict, the running back got a DUI after dragging a cop who was hangin on the door of the vehicle, etc. It was a mess that killed the program that Saban built to last. The big difference is how do coaches respond with kids get in trouble and break the rules.

Well, I think we answered that question with the secondary we put up against you guys earlier this month.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
You know what depresses me is that we are talking about College Football which means my ski season is coming to an end. Do not get me wrong, I love college football but it depresses me to think my season is almost over.

I totally agree with OhioP that the difference is how the coach deals with the situation.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Season Over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADBLUE
You know what depresses me is that we are talking about College Football which means my ski season is coming to an end. Do not get me wrong, I love college football but it depresses me to think my season is almost over.

I totally agree with OhioP that the difference is how the coach deals with the situation.
Not so fast my friend. Skiing season isn't even close to being over in FL.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Roll Tide!!!

Old 09-21-2006, 01:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate
OK

Let's look at these statements. Anybody see a trend? All Nationally Recognized teams that are cover by a plethora of media outlets. If one is naive enough to believe that off-field problems only happen at South Florida Schools, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc that is fine. There are issues everywhere there are 18-23 year old kids being treated like rock stars. While most of them only get a mention in the local paper or maybe across the crawler on ESPN News, the Big Schools fall subject to media outlets (espically ESPN) who are trying to make news, not just report it. Tennessee is a prime example of this. How many papers across the state cover Tennessee Football? How many times has ESPN gone after Tennessee either for academic infractions or to report stories that reflect negatively? Sure the Head Coach is ultimately responsible. But when you get into the larger schools, who recruit nationally it is much easier to let a few bad apples into the program.

Should South Carolina fire Spurrier because his starting quarterback got into a bar fight? Georgia's current quarterbacks coach, Mike Bobo couldn't stay out of bar fights as a player at UGA. Should Richt be fired?

It is everywhere. the difference is who covers it and how.

Your comment of making news.........100% on the money. (Better question is how many Tennessee newspapers DO NOT cover Tennessee Football )
These are young kids, impressionable.....you would have a strong argument to say "most are not well guided growing up"
Start treating them like they can do no wrong......and they start doing things, acting like they can do no wrong.
Much of a programs record can / should be tied to the coaches and their handling of situations as they come up. Stoops, Mack Brown, etc, etc. They do / did what they did to set an example to the other players..let them know there are consequences to actions. Off the field, in school or otherwise.
Coaches that look the other way or say they don't want to know whats going on are culpable in what happens to the team.

Trivia Question:
What College football team was involved in the biggest gambling scandal in college football history? (and yes this was during the tenure of what some people would call a "players coach")