Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
In the words of Jules from Pulp Fiction, "it's not the same ball park, it's not even the same @$&?@& sport".

I also doubt Tressel witnessed the "crime", (giving away something that was given to you....if that is a crime), but the two violations really have nothing in common other than they were college football programs. I REALLY doubt anybody's life was destroyed because of a bad tattoo deal. I don't see how you can compare these two at all and the punishment that will be levied against Penn state compared to that of OSU should reflect how different these are.
C'mon Man - What I am referring to is that Tressel received an e-mail about the infraction. Had he come forth and reported the incident to the NCAA and suspended the players involved he would still be the head coach at OSU. It's hard for me to believe that Tressel wasn't part of the cover up of "Tatoo Gate" ---

ALL of them decided to follow the immortal words of Vince Lombardi --- "Winning isn't everything - It's the ONLY thing!!! It cost them their jobs and forever tarnished their reputation...........
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
It was an ugly game. Michigan didn't win it, VT lost it. Denard is an exciting player to watch... when he runs the ball. Whenever he drops back to pass, I cringe. His strategy seems to be just throw the ball up in the air and hope that a Michigan guy catches it. He got lucky last night.

Still, they beat the Suckeyes in November, the Suckeyes lost to the Gators in their bowl game, and Michigan won their BCS bowl game. Not a bad seaon.

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier View Post
C'mon Man - What I am referring to is that Tressel received an e-mail about the infraction. Had he come forth and reported the incident to the NCAA and suspended the players involved he would still be the head coach at OSU. It's hard for me to believe that Tressel wasn't part of the cover up of "Tatoo Gate" ---

ALL of them decided to follow the immortal words of Vince Lombardi --- "Winning isn't everything - It's the ONLY thing!!! It cost them their jobs and forever tarnished their reputation...........
It isn't his job to report it to the NCAA, it is his boss's job. His boss didn't, it became public, and Tressel was set out to take the fall. This is where it isn't the even the same sport as Penn State. In this case we are talking about material goods and a fiat money exchange not ruining another human beings life.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
It was an ugly game. Michigan didn't win it, VT lost it. Denard is an exciting player to watch... when he runs the ball. Whenever he drops back to pass, I cringe. His strategy seems to be just throw the ball up in the air and hope that a Michigan guy catches it. He got lucky last night.

Still, they beat the Suckeyes in November, the Suckeyes lost to the Gators in their bowl game, and Michigan won their BCS bowl game. Not a bad seaon.
But you STILL lost to Appalachia State.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Quote:

Quote:
It isn't his job to report it to the NCAA, it is his boss's job. His boss didn't, it became public, and Tressel was set out to take the fall. This is where it isn't the even the same sport as Penn State. In this case we are talking about material goods and a fiat money exchange not ruining another human beings life.
Where did I reference Penn State in my last post? I'm saying that Tressel was involved in the cover up. As I recall the President and Athletic Director lost their jobs too - The Three Amigos!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM
MC Addict

Hey CP!
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Hey CP!
Wow, you beat an All Cupcake Conference opponent, yippee!!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Wow, you beat an All Cupcake Conference opponent, yippee!!
No, we beat the 11th ranked team in the nation, after OSU lost to the.... lost to the... the um... wait, I can't find them on the list!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
CP - Just like the Penn State scenario - JoePa told his superior's and they decided to cover it up. You may say that the Penn State scandal was a much more heinous crime and I'll agree. But remember that JoePa did not witness the crime, it was hear say information. Nonetheless, Tressel knew they were in violation of NCAA rules and should have at least suspended the players involved, which he decided not too.....

I guess it comes down to a decision to turn your boss in or not.............
Quote:
Where did I reference Penn State in my last post? I'm saying that Tressel was involved in the cover up. As I recall the President and Athletic Director lost their jobs too - The Three Amigos!
OK, I thought you were comparing the two infractions with respect to the actions the coaches took. JoePa told his boss and Tressel told his boss. When Tressel's boss didn't do anything about it, that was Tressels boss's decision. When JoePa told his boss and his boss DIDN'T do anything, he should have gone over his boss's head and told authorities. Tressel did his job, then took the fall for his boss's poor decision.....which in my eyes is the problem with this whole situation. The University should have stood by Tressel, taken their medicine and let Tressel's BOSS go......but they didn't.....hence my saltiness and disgust and sorrow that Tressel is gone.

I'll give you the 'Tressel didn't suspend his players' point, however if he suspends his players doesn't that bring suspicion to something wrong? That would put him in a tough spot for sure. No matter how you slice it, Tressel was at the will of his boss because no matter what he does with this, trouble brews. And really, if a coach turns a player in for stuff like this, that ruins a player / coach relationship for the future. If the AD turns them in, the coach player relationship remains intact.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
No, we beat the 11th ranked team in the nation, after OSU lost to the.... lost to the... the um... wait, I can't find them on the list!
That's right, because at 6-6, neither team should have been playing on (almost) New Years Day.