Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
not being a hater, but what is the love affair the media has with Notre Dame?
notre lame plays EVERY sat. on NBC and they have a huge following so there is A LOT of money to be made off of them.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet
notre lame plays EVERY sat. on NBC and they have a huge following so there is A LOT of money to be made off of them.
well I know that and it only adds to my question of why? Rudy?Catholics? Neither of those things would have these mealy mouthed sportscasters as gushy as they were at halftime, nor in other broadcasts. what causes the following?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier
I SEE A LOT MORE THAN 4 !!!!!!!
Funny, I see four, three of which are games played against fellow OHIO schools to keep the money in OHIO. Akron, Kent, and YSU all get HUGE pay-days for playing OSU. We used to play Cincinnati a lot, again to keep the money in OHIO. The BIG 10 schedule cannot be considered "pad" games. Say what you want, but the BIG 10 beat the SEC in both bowl games they played against each other, and will win another on Monday night to go 3-0.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 PM
MC Master Poster

ya know what we need? wee need africken poll. who gave the poll boy permission to elope and leave the polling to us?

unscientific as it may be, take a poll of the top 3 teams in each d1 college conference division simply based on "who's your favorite team" then add notre dame to the poll too and see percentage wise how it comes out?

I just wanna know what the fascination is
Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
well I know that and it only adds to my question of why? Rudy?Catholics? Neither of those things would have these mealy mouthed sportscasters as gushy as they were at halftime, nor in other broadcasts. what causes the following?
Religion and money. They are the "chosen" school, therefore everyone gets a warm and fuzzy feeling rooting for them. It's like when you say you don't root for notre lame, everyone asks, "why"?

Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
MC Master Poster

uhhh "Because I like LSU better" ?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:28 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet
Catholics.....

Like me there are quite a number of them. Makes them a natioanl team instantly.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210
Catholics.....

Like me there are quite a number of them. Makes them a natioanl team instantly.
I can believe that, so the chameleons in the media are following the money as captain mentioned, while mostly secular, they give love to the team with the most fans or followers?
It completely makes sense that it's why ND makes their own tv deals but the media? hmmmm
Maybe there are more USC fans that Texas fans because last year the announcers of the National Championship game were gushing over USC, then finally turned it into the Vince Young show about 7 minutes from the end.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Slightly off topic.

I sold some Cubs tix a fews years back on e-bay and unknowingly sold this pair to an employee of ND. He worked in the planning department or something. Anyway he asked if I had any interest in his season tickets since he always sits in the press box anyway. I said yeah right and he said no really 2 seats 7 rows up in the end zone, pay me face and thier yours. I jumped on this like a hooker on a glass pipe. I purcashed these tickets for two years until he learned I never went to a single game and sold every pair of tix on e-Bay. He came down from the press box to say hello and the people in the seats said no they bought them on e-bay. Good while it lasted. I turned $600 into several thousand for a couple of years anyway....

Point being. The following for this University is immeasurable and I have the sold ticket prices to prove it.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210
Slightly off topic.

I sold some Cubs tix a fews years back on e-bay and unknowingly sold this pair to an employee of ND. He worked in the planning department or something. Anyway he asked if I had any interest in his season tickets since he always sits in the press box anyway. I said yeah right and he said no really 2 seats 7 rows up in the end zone, pay me face and thier yours. I jumped on this like a hooker on a glass pipe. I purcashed these tickets for two years until he learned I never went to a single game and sold every pair of tix on e-Bay. He came down from the press box to say hello and the people in the seats said no they bought them on e-bay. Good while it lasted. I turned $600 into several thousand for a couple of years anyway....

Point being. The following for this University is immeasurable and I have the sold ticket prices to prove it.
Entrepeneural Spirit!