Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft X9, MCX, Blue & White
I personally like the BCS. Why? Cause it usually only screws over one, maybe 2 teams a year. A playoff would screw over many teams. If you took the top 8 teams (by the human polls) you would have :

Ohio State
Florida
Michigan
Louisiana State
Louisville
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Southern Cal

You would leave out undefeated Boise State, and the winner of the Atlantic Coast Conference, and many other teams.

Read this article from espn.com & just think of how it would be without the BCS (Michigan would play in the Outback Bowl!!!)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=jones/061205
Old 12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
I couldn't pass on posting this one!
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcampbe7
Eastie, it looks like Texas is playing Iowa in the Alamo Bowl this year!

GO HAWKS!
So you and Farmer are ganging up on me, eh. Where's Ric and St. John when I need 'em. Go Horns!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:53 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hat_in_Cincy
The game hype stuff is starting to come out...
Fear the nut????
Attached Images

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 12-05-2006, 02:57 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet
Yes we do, but it feels like we have to keep defending ourselves, doesn't it?
Nah, you guys don't have to defend yourselves. I think everyone here will agree that OSU is the undisputed No. 1 (with Michigan a close 2nd )

though I won't fear any nut

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 12-05-2006, 03:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
So you and Farmer are ganging up on me, eh. Where's Ric and St. John when I need 'em. Go Horns!
. HOOKEM
oh well east, the coogs have a conference championship to bring home to Texas!
Old 12-05-2006, 03:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205 w/351 H.O. 4 Blade CNC Acme
HOOK'EM!!! Seems like I was avoiding this thread for obvious reasons over the past three weeks!

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it is unfamiliar territory."
Old 12-05-2006, 03:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded & X9-Rated
I personally like the BCS. Why? Cause it usually only screws over one, maybe 2 teams a year. A playoff would screw over many teams. If you took the top 8 teams (by the human polls) you would have :

Ohio State
Florida
Michigan
Louisiana State
Louisville
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Southern Cal

You would leave out undefeated Boise State, and the winner of the Atlantic Coast Conference, and many other teams.

Read this article from espn.com & just think of how it would be without the BCS (Michigan would play in the Outback Bowl!!!)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=jones/061205

It seems to work in Division 1-AA, Division II and Division III. So the author citing finals week as a reason is moot, as well as playing teams playing with injuries, it's part of the deal. Who gets in is what it is, every year the 66th team in basketball has some sour grapes, they get over it. All the other divisions do it with 16 teams. Sure the championship game is on Graduation day for Fall semester but that is a choice you as a supporter of your team have to make.

8 teams = 4 games
4 teams = 2 games
2 teams = 1 game

7 games added to the schedule. Cut back from 12 games to 11 and the championship team will play 15 games max if they are in a conference with a championship game, others will play 14 - oh wait that is the number the teams in conferences play with championship games now.

8 teams
1) SEC Champ
2) Pac-10 Champ
3) Big 12 Champ
4) Big East Champ
5) ACC Champ
6) Big Ten Champ
7) at large
8) at large

Then you could seed them depending on ranking.

At this point only the BCS bowl are money makers, the Tennessee athletic director hopes to break even on the Outback bowl this year. Often times schools lose money going to bowls (notice the missing bands at smaller bowls). This gives conferences the ability to make their money, as well as give the fans and players a true champion. With an 8 team playoff it gives you 2 more games that will make tons of money for the Universities as well as the conferences (money to all schools in conference).
Old 12-05-2006, 07:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Hey Guys,
Let's remember one thing, the Bowls were created to bring revenue to the cities hosting the event and the college teams participating in them. From what I've been able to research, the first bowl game was held in 1902 in Pasadena to help bring interest to the Tournament of Roses Parade. Michigan defeated Stanford 49-0 before a crowd of 8,000. The organizers were afraid that the lopsided victory would discourage fans from returning the following year so they replaced it with a chariot race.

My point is, are we being selfish in asking student athletes to compete like professionals just so we as fans can boast about our team being National Champions? These are young men who are going to college trying to earn a degree so they can work in the real world. Not all of them will make it to the professional world of football. And even fewer will be successful on or off the field, especially if they do not graduate.

I posted a link earlier #1476 about graduation rates among student athletes. I was shocked to read that so few were actually graduating. However, the NCAA's new academic standards seem to be working. Colleges are now recruiting different student athletes because they cannot afford the penalties. However, if a playoff system were put in place it could undermine the efforts by the NCAA to increase the graduation rate among student athletes. Playing extra games just for bragging rights just doesn't make sense in my opinion.

The BCS is far from perfect, but it is the hand we have been dealt. I for one am tired of all the sports announcers bellyaching about who is really #2!!! GET OVER IT!!!!! The officials that were nominated to vote have voted. If you don't like the results REPLACE THEM!!!! And quit bashing the Florida and Michigan programs.

Last edited by trickskier; 12-05-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Maristar 200VRS
College football is becoming no fun with all this BS. Throw out the BCS and let the voters decide. On another note how about even out the schedules to where the big boys play the big boys! Too many warm up patsey games on the schedules.

Example:
Notre Dame vs. Michigan
ND vs. Florida
ND vs. Miami
ND vs. FSU
ND vs. OSU
ND vs. USC
ND vs. Penn St.
ND vs. Tenn
ND vs. West Virginia
ND vs. Texas
ND vs. BC
ND vs. Navy (Too much tradition to stop that one!)

Yes I know they may be 5-6 or worst, but if everyone played a schedule like that then it would not be uncommon to have a 7-4 team playing for the National Championship.

All the big boys play some pretty weak teams and if you fill them in with some real talent then its a true view of a team. You go undefeated with a sked like above then you are the no Sh!t champ.

Oh yeah, why does the Heisman now come from the team playing for the Championship? How about give that trophey to a defensive player! Or a QB on a team ranked 10 or 11?

Too F'ing much BS in college football.

Well I'm done, true testimate that I'm getting f'ing old!

Tow Veh: 2010 Toyota Tundra
Bike: 2007 HD Street Glide

Beer:Sam Adams Boston Lager/ Cherry Wheat, Petes

Strawberry Blonde, Petes Wicked Ale

Chief Petty Officer: "Results not excuses"

"You Can't Beat a Tree"