Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Good One Steve!!!

One thing I can't figure out is why Florida & Michigan won't play in the Rose Bowl? If 1 & 2 Play each other why doesn't 3 & 4 play each other? Michigan & LSU in the Rose and Florida & Notre Dame in the Sugar is the prediction.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210
Scarlet and what?????
Have fun at the Rose Bowl.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:41 AM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickskier
One thing I can't figure out is why Florida & Michigan won't play in the Rose Bowl? If 1 & 2 Play each other why doesn't 3 & 4 play each other? Michigan & LSU in the Rose and Florida & Notre Dame in the Sugar is the prediction.
It will probably be Cal and Michigan. Traditionally, the Big10 Champ played the PAC 10 champ in the Rose Bowl every year. But since BCS, both those champs will be facing each other in Arizona since they are ranked 1 and 2 (if USC beats UCLA). That leaves the Big 10 second place team (who IIRC used to play in the Citrus Bowl against the SEC 1st or 2nd place team) and the PAC 10 second place team to play in the Rose Bowl this time around.

Like I said in an earlier post, IMO OSU and USC should be playing for the championship in the Rose Bowl, and Michigan and Florida should be playing each other in Orlando.

Correct me if I'm wrong ya'll. NCAA newbie here...

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 11-29-2006, 11:05 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
It will probably be Cal and Michigan. Traditionally, the Big10 Champ played the PAC 10 champ in the Rose Bowl every year. But since BCS, both those champs will be facing each other in Arizona since they are ranked 1 and 2 (if USC beats UCLA). That leaves the Big 10 second place team (who IIRC used to play in the Citrus Bowl against the SEC 1st or 2nd place team) and the PAC 10 second place team to play in the Rose Bowl this time around.

Like I said in an earlier post, IMO OSU and USC should be playing for the championship in the Rose Bowl, and Michigan and Florida should be playing each other in Orlando.

Correct me if I'm wrong ya'll. NCAA newbie here...
Your right about the rose bowl. It is traditionally the BIG 10 champ vs. the PAC 10 champ. But since the BCS has basically removed ANY tradition from the bowl games, I don't see why 3 shouldn't play 4, 5 against 6 and so on.

But you have to consider, since this is a money maker for the BCS they have to look at what is profitable, which is why notre lame will get a BCS bid (large following and TV ratings gainer = $$$) instead of Auburn or Wisconsin.

If it is michigan vs. LSU and Florida vs notre lame those games will just be awful. michigan will KILL LSU and Florida will beat notre lame by 30. If anything, notre lame should be playing the big east champ, (Louisville, right or west virginia?)

Nice bowl system we all get to enjoy huh? What a bunch of crap.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 AM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Despite what I said above, I'd actually rather see Michigan play UF than Cal. It would be a better game IMO.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hat_in_Cincy
Have fun at the Rose Bowl.

Why can Maurice get me some free tickets? without putting a gun to someones head, of course..
Old 11-29-2006, 12:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210
Why can Maurice get me some free tickets? without putting a gun to someones head, of course..
I wonder how many times he's heard "stick 'em up" lately...since he is a resident of THE Bighouse!?!?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 351
Send a message via AIM to Bobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet
Your right about the rose bowl. It is traditionally the BIG 10 champ vs. the PAC 10 champ. But since the BCS has basically removed ANY tradition from the bowl games, I don't see why 3 shouldn't play 4, 5 against 6 and so on.

But you have to consider, since this is a money maker for the BCS they have to look at what is profitable, which is why notre lame will get a BCS bid (large following and TV ratings gainer = $$$) instead of Auburn or Wisconsin.

If it is michigan vs. LSU and Florida vs notre lame those games will just be awful. michigan will KILL LSU and Florida will beat notre lame by 30. If anything, notre lame should be playing the big east champ, (Louisville, right or west virginia?)

Nice bowl system we all get to enjoy huh? What a bunch of crap.
Auburn and Wisconsin couldn't get BCS bids anyway because each conference is allowed 2 BCS teams max. Florida/LSU/Arkansas - 2 might get in and Ohio State and Michigan are representing the Big 10+1.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
I know the former Chairman of the Tournament of Roses and I also know a future Chairman of the Tournament of Roses. In conversations I have had with them they traditionally have had Big 10 - Pac 10 match ups. If either of the schools that are the respective conference champions are not playing in the year's national championship game then they will return to tradition. If one or both of them are playing for the national championship in another bowl the door is wide open for them to select a match up. In case of the Rose Bowl this year, assuming USC vs. OSU is the National Championship game, they have the ability to select any two teams that are not obligated to another bowl. Florida, if they win the SEC Championship game, will be headed to the Sugar Bowl. Could the Sugar Bowl select Michigan as an opponent, sure. But the powers at be in New Orleans as well as Pasadena factor several things into the selecting an opponent, such as how well teams travel, past history with the bowl so on and so forth. If I remember correctly the Football committees from each of the BCS bowls get together to try and work out the best scenarios for each bowl, there is some attention paid to the traditional match ups as well as when you last had the National Championship game as well as when you get it next. All of the talking heads are just guessing, it is really up to the bowls in situations like this.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:55 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
BCS Selection Policies and Procedures
34 days ago

Bowl Championship Series Selection Policies and Procedures, 2007-2010 Games:

Automatic Qualification

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings shall play in the National Championship Game.

2. The champions of the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10, and Southeastern conferences will have automatic berths in one of the participating bowls after the 2006 and 2007 regular seasons.

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. If two or more teams from those conferences satisfy the provisions for an automatic berth, then the team with the highest finish in the final BCS Standings will receive the automatic berth, and the remaining team or teams will be in the pool of teams eligible for selection by the bowls as at-large teams.

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul