Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-20-2006, 12:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hat_in_Cincy
CP

USC...especially after Mike Hart's comments. I'd like them to chew on this loss for a year.

He talked smack about our vaunted defense, but what about his? Against TSUN defense: 502 yards. 192-ish on the ground.

The game shouldn't have been that close if we don't give up 2 freebies, but again, that's the way this game goes.
Mike Harts comments are correct. Why does that bother you? Your defense gave up 39 points to an average offense at best. Now the OSU offense was great and the UM defense was kicked in the mouth.

Do not talk about freebies as that is a terrible excuse. Choking under pressure is part of the game ... your center choked on a couple plays as did Crable or the game would have been ever more close. The game was what it was. OSU had the better team and they won, however, it would be interesting on a neutral field.

I know all the other UM fans would shoot me for saying this, however, I do not think UM deserves another shot. They had their game and they lost. USC, Florida or ARK should have a shot ... NOT ND they got a smackdown already and they are not even top 10 material. How do you get whooped by UM, almost lose to MSU, GA Tech and UCLA and still be in the top 10? They are pretenders at best.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADBLUE
Why does that bother you?

Do not talk about freebies as that is a terrible excuse. Choking under pressure is part of the game ...
It bother me because it's my team...reality or not. tOSU has shown most of the year that it would give up big plays and then buckle down...the 'bend but don't break' defense. I'm not a stat guy, but I'd guess we were good in takeaways and scoring defense, but I'm not sure about pass and run defense. I also wouldn't consider TSUN as an avg. offense when you have a Heisman candidate runner, a pretty talented receiving core, and a more protypical NFL QB.

I think I mentioned that the 'freebies' are part of the ways these games go. I don't think tOSU had any turnovers of that caliber the entire year and 2 of them come out in that game.

I guess we 'coulda/woulda' until next year's game.

Anyway BBB. It was an exciting game and I agree with you that next year should be the next meeting, even if for different reasons.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:14 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADBLUE
Mike Harts comments are correct. Why does that bother you? Your defense gave up 39 points to an average offense at best. Now the OSU offense was great and the UM defense was kicked in the mouth.
BBB, it's not the fact that he said, it was the WAY he said it. I know his comments came at an emotional time, but he should have chosed his words a little more wisely.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 11-20-2006, 01:20 PM
MC Addict

Michigan - Ohio State stat infection:

* Troy Smith’s stats in three Michigan games: 857 yards passing, 194 yards rushing, nine touchdowns and THREE WINS.
* Now 19 straight wins for the Buckeyes, three short of the 1967-69 team record of 22. OSU has also now won 14 straight Big Ten games and 12 straight home games since last year’s loss to Texas
* Lloyd Carr is now 6-6 against Ohio State and Jim Tressel is 5-1 against Michigan. OSU is 38-10 in Big Ten games, 38-4 at home, 25-7 against ranked teams and 8-2 against top-10 teams
* The Bucks had eight straight passing plays in the game before they attempted their first running play.
* For the seventh straight season, the Michigan-Ohio State season finale had a direct impact on the Big Ten Championship race. In every year since the 2000 campaign, at least one of these two teams has entered this game with a shot at the conference crown.
* Smith became the first OSU quarterback to throw for four touchdowns against Michigan and also became the first to go 3-0 against Michigan since Tippy Dye in 1934-36. Smith set a new OSU single-season touchdown mark with 30 TD passes, eclipsing the 29 set by Bobby Hoying in 1995
* OSU's win over Michigan now equals the best stretch ever against the Wolverines. The Buckeyes have won 5 of their last 6 over the Wolverines, a feat that matches Woody who won the 1958 game, lost in 1959 before winning from 1960-1963.
* Tressel's 5-1 mark against Michigan gives him a .833 winning percentage- the best for a Buckeye coach against the hated Wolverines. At the 6 game mark vs. the Wolverines, Woody was 3-3. Earle was 4-2.
* In the past two games against Michigan, OSU is -5 in the turnover department, yet victorious in both. In the four previous contests, OSU turned over the ball just two times and forced 10 turnovers
* Troy Smith ended up with a total of 328 yards of net offense and 4 touchdowns. He threw to 8 different receivers!
* OSU played 50 players. Not to be outdone, Michigan played even more, playing 55
* Troy was sacked once. Henne was sacked 4 times.
* Michigan scored four of its five touchdowns by scoring on the first and last of their drives in each half.
* STAT of the Year: The “Pick Four” in the Ohio Lottery Saturday? 4239…

Old 11-20-2006, 01:22 PM
MC Addict

1091 days and counting…Yes, Buckeye fans, that’s how long it has been since Michigan last beat Ohio State. And it will be another 364 days until they get their next chance (I hope since I am an anti-rematch kind of guy…) – November 17, 2007 in Ann Arbor. That’s a lot of days between drinks of water. Or whatever Wolverines drink. From the looks on LLLLLoyd Carr’s face, must be prune juice.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 PM
MC Addict

This is one of the best quotes that describes the michigan, Ohio State rivalry.

When asked why he went for two despite a 34-point lead against Michigan, Hayes quipped, "Because I couldn't go for three."

Old 11-20-2006, 01:51 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet
This is one of the best quotes that describes the michigan, Ohio State rivalry.

When asked why he went for two despite a 34-point lead against Michigan, Hayes quipped, "Because I couldn't go for three."
Cp

You runnin up your post count or just scatterbrain?

Great Game played by OSU. I give credit to sweatervest and his staff for spotting a weakness in the defense that was heavily exploited. Mr. Carr is clearly behind the times and needs to step it up. Losing to OSU continously does not help solidify his tenure.

Steve
Old 11-20-2006, 01:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hat_in_Cincy
I also wouldn't consider TSUN as an avg. offense when you have a Heisman candidate runner, a pretty talented receiving core, and a more protypical NFL QB..
Based on the numbers UM offense is VERY average. 53rd in passing, 57th in rushing, 62nd in scoring and 74th in total ... and this out of 119 schools. Actually this is not even average.

Is it Spring yet?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:55 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210
Cp

You runnin up your post count or just scatterbrain?

Great Game played by OSU. I give credit to sweatervest and his staff for spotting a weakness in the defense that was heavily exploited. Mr. Carr is clearly behind the times and needs to step it up. Losing to OSU continously does not help solidify his tenure.

Steve
No, just having fun. Remember as an Ohio State fan who used to have to suffer through the "cooper years" I can't help but grin. You're probably not going to believe this, but I usually don't rub it in after my team wins, but this was the michigan game. Sorry.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
All right, I for one am not going to let the Big 10 rule this thread! It ain't over til the fat lady sings (but I must admit she warming up). I know Maristar an BBB want a rematch, but I'm sorry you had your chance. Plus the BSC has a rule that you must win your conference in order to play in the National Championship Game.

I would rather see Florida (imagine that) Arkansas, USC or Notre Dame get a shot at OSU. In ordrer for the Gators to get a chance they need to win convincingly over FSU and Arkansas plus they need USC to loose at least on game.

Again, still a lot of football left to be played. Michigan can only sit back and watch the drama unfold as their season is over. If USC wins out they will leap frog Michigan for the #2 spot. The Gators can get there if the win out and have help.

The next two weeks will be interesting to say the least. I only have one thing left to say GO GATORS!!!