Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-06-2014, 09:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Living near freeway

I am relocating due to a job change. I found a beautiful home that is perfect except for one thing. It backs up to a freeway. The master bedroom is in the back of the house which is closest to the freeway. When I was looking at it during the day I could hear traffic noise and I'm afraid it will be worse at night. My daughter lived in an apartment next to a freeway for awhile. I stayed there a couple of times and never slept a wink. The current owners have lived there for 10 years and said you get used to it. Unfortunately, this may end up being a deal breaker. I've thought about a white noise machine and some sound dampening curtains. I'm not willing to start tearing up walls for more insulation, using ear plugs, etc. Anyone have a similar experience and solution?
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
Compensating factor with the price? Yes, you probably will get used to the sound of the freeway - What if you don't? Something else to think about is resale; the next buyer is going to struggle with the same decision you have right now.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
you wont catch me within a 5 mile of a busy freeway,
wont even be able to open the window much less get any peace
I live three doors from a middle school, I'll never make that mistake again
go rent an apartment till you find something more suitable
Old 12-06-2014, 09:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

It's a small gated community with only 32 houses and most are long time residents so really no price break. Many of them back up to the freeway. Most of the houses typically sell pretty quickly when something does come on the market so I'm not really worried about resale. As you said, I'm most worried about never getting used to it. Normally, I would probably just continue my search but I have to be within a certain geographic area for my job and this house needs zero work.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
it really only need one of two thing, a dome or a relocation
Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Lol, that's probably true
Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location is your biggest concern for resale. No matter the amenities the house has, it'll be a much tougher sale than comparable properties that don't back onto a freeway.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 mastercraft prostar 190
I've lived with a freeway in my backyard since 1976, you do get used to it. I work rotating shift work so sometimes sleeping during the day, sometimes at night. When I want total quiet I sleep in the basement. It helps that about 10 yrs ago a sound wall was put up. Would'nt want to have a backyard party during rush hour, but otherwise fine.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:13 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacx2 View Post
I am relocating due to a job change. I found a beautiful home that is perfect except for one thing. It backs up to a freeway. The master bedroom is in the back of the house which is closest to the freeway. When I was looking at it during the day I could hear traffic noise and I'm afraid it will be worse at night. My daughter lived in an apartment next to a freeway for awhile. I stayed there a couple of times and never slept a wink. The current owners have lived there for 10 years and said you get used to it. Unfortunately, this may end up being a deal breaker. I've thought about a white noise machine and some sound dampening curtains. I'm not willing to start tearing up walls for more insulation, using ear plugs, etc. Anyone have a similar experience and solution?
A white noise machine would have to mask the traffic noise, which means it has to be almost as loud as the existing noise, especially in the range where human hearing is most sensitive. This means the overall SPL will be higher than it is now and it will likely be more annoying. If you had a room between you and the back wall, it would be very different.

My aunt & uncle built a house in the late-'60s and soon after, the DOT decided to plant a freeway bypass immediately behind them. The hill was great for snow saucers, bad for noise. They planted a row of Poplars, but it only helped a little.

If the terrain is flat and the freeway is at about the sale elevation as your house. maybe you could place a row of dense trees along the lot line or some kind of heavy partition there, to block the noise. If the houses were there before the freeway, you could contact the DOT and have them monitor the noise level over time. If it becomes worse, they should do some kind of abatement. If the roadway is higher, I wouldn't expect miracles, although some counties, like Milwaukee, are insulating houses near the airport and using some kind of grants to pay for it. The windows are the main problem if the house has masonry exterior but if it's stick frame with some kind of siding, that's likely to be a major path.

Adding a layer of drywall to the interior wall closest to the freeway (and any walls that receive reflected noise) would help a lot. If resilient channels or "green glue" and specially designed drywall are available for this kind of application.

http://www.certainteed.com/products/...oustics/340906

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/so...soundbreak.htm

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98765-89477-...ductId=3069747

Resilient channel-

https://www.google.com/search?q=resi...iw=911&bih=464

Green Glue-

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

Last edited by JimN; 12-06-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X2
Ask the neighbors what they think of the freeway noise?

What about sirens at night? Especially if you have dogs that howl when they hear sirens.