Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 08:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-25 2010 MCX
Ireland Trip

My wife and I are taking my niece on a trip to Ireland for 7-10 days in late May. I know we plan on staying in Dublin for a few days and visit some sites there, Guinness, Trinity College, and some cathedrals that she wants to visit.

Though I would ask here for some must dos and sees. Like the Cliffs of Moher and some castles.

Has anyone heard of or used authenticireland.com? You send them a list of things you want to do and they create an itinerary for you are they worth it or just build my own trip?
Thanks for any help or ideas, I'll be sure to drink a few pints in you name when the time comes.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X20
PM sent
Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X10
Take a drive up to Belfast.. about 2hrs away... cool city, lots of history and it's a beautiful drive. Ireland is awesome. Loads of great places to see, eat and the people are wonderful. I hope you enjoy the trip!

Guiness isn't the same even again once you drink it there.... be for warned :-)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Past: X Star, MariStar | Now looking for an SWS
Subscribing as we have a 2 week trip planned for this year across the UK, Ireland, Scotland.

Here is our current draft of plans:

Ireland
• Dublin
o Lodging
• The Croke Park (2016 Traveler's Choice)
• The Westbury (2016 Traveler's Choice)
• Marriotts: (we have a ton of Marriott rewards so we try to find ones to save money on lodging where we can)
 The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
o Attractions
• Old Jameson Distillery
• Guinness Storehouse
• St. Patrick's Cathedral
• Grafton Street & Moore Street
• Dublin Castle
• Swim the Forty Foot? Staircase to Atlantis?
o Eats
• Fish and Chips at the Temple Bar Pub is a must!
• Bars: The Church Bar (converted church bar), Zozimus Bar (umbrella ceilings that look awesome), The Caves at Bagot's Hutton (in a cave), Trad Session at The Cobblestone (Irish version of the picking circle we saw in Luckenbach), McDaids (traditional pub), The Brazen Head (oldest pub)
• Northern Ireland
o The Giant's Causeway to see the columnar basalt caves. We must! Recommended we take the coastal (i.e. - scenic) route.
o Cathedral Quarters in Belfast have quirky shops and cafés
o Spend the night in Belfast or fly out from Belfast later that night
o Titanic Belfast Museum is pretty cool-looking at night

My wife and I are geo-nerds so we try to find the good scenery and rocks so you'll see that scattered throughout. Also I am a huge Whiskey/Scotch fan so those are musts. Travel for us is typically eating and drinking our way through the sites and countries. We're always looking for more of the must-sees and dos and eats so let me know!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
I thought Jamison put on a better tour than Guiness but both are worth visiting. Trinity College and Cliffs of Moher were must sees. Galway was our favorite city to visit. I also loved the drive from Galway following the coast down to Limerick. It's steep twists and turn with some spectacular views. Our tiny 4 banger diesel with manual shift was actually pretty good. You know you're doing it right when the wife is green and you can't stop smiling. Just watch out of for the big tour buses on the switchbacks.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
Kinsale was a great place and on my optinion a must see for a day. The Ring of Kerry was also an amazing ride with beautiful views and scenery.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 06 X-15
Not sure when your header there but the Old Jameson Distillery Tour is closed until March 2017. They are remodeling.

I agree I think the Cliffs of Moher are a must see... Gallway City is also a great stop.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Past: X Star, MariStar | Now looking for an SWS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Not sure when your header there but the Old Jameson Distillery Tour is closed until March 2017. They are remodeling.

I agree I think the Cliffs of Moher are a must see... Gallway City is also a great stop.
We are heading out in the end of summer/fall time. OP is in May