Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94, prostar 190, 96 prostar 190..anyone wanna buy one
frozen hot tub insurance advice

Sometime over the last couple of days my hot tub kicked the breaker and froze. The plumbing froze, but the tub as of this morning has not. I just got off the phone with a service guy and he thought I was probably screwed and call my insurance guy. I never would have considered a claim, but now I am. I have $1000 deductible and replacement cost ins. Anybody have any thought or advice?
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94PS190 View Post
Sometime over the last couple of days my hot tub kicked the breaker and froze. The plumbing froze, but the tub as of this morning has not. I just got off the phone with a service guy and he thought I was probably screwed and call my insurance guy. I never would have considered a claim, but now I am. I have $1000 deductible and replacement cost ins. Anybody have any thought or advice?
I wouldn't call the insurance until you have a good idea of damage that has been done. If they get any wind of what has happened they might just raise you rates even if you don't file a claim.

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Couldn't agree more. I called my insurance company about a boat issue during a storm. Ended up going through a huge amount of crap to get it straightened out and never needed to file a claim.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

A new tub is probably 7 or 8 grand, but not sure it's worth the deductible + risk of increase premiums + headaches. I have also heard of people being dropped for no good reason. I have only had this property and ins co. for a year.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
I can't see where you get 7 or 8k if the tub isn't frozen. If the tub isn't frozen drain it and save the shell. Can't imagine it jacked up that much in parts. And of course the service guys says you are bent. I'd imagine you could have to replace a few pvc lines and maybe a pump if it was horrid. Get it drained asap before you really lose it though
Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Guy told me not to drain, but to add anti-freeze. Unfrozen water is keeping water in the tub, is keeping jets and things from freezing solid. I could siphon the water out, but drains are froze. Does anyone know if I would typically be covered? The 7 or 8 is replacement cost.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Man I hate insurance. I have had a clean record with mine for over 10 years and (3 vehicles, 1 jet ski, 2 atvs, 1 motorcycle, 3 snowmobiles, 2 houses, 2 boats, life insurance) I make one mistake backing into my own vehicle in my driveway and they treat me like I am a repeat DUI offender and call me high risk. Insurance these days apparently isn't for using, just paying in.

Sorry for the rant I will contribute. My parents went through this with a fairly new tub and it was worth it to file a claim under your homeowners. They stated they didn't change their rates. Good luck
Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Man I hate insurance. I have had a clean record with mine for over 10 years and (3 vehicles, 1 jet ski, 2 atvs, 1 motorcycle, 3 snowmobiles, 2 houses, 2 boats, life insurance) I make one mistake backing into my own vehicle in my driveway and they treat me like I am a repeat DUI offender and call me high risk. Insurance these days apparently isn't for using, just paying in.
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
The thing about insurance is their profit is based on a percentage of premiums, and premiums can only go up if they pay claims. So, in reality, they want you to file claims! As long as your claims are legit, you aren't likely to be cancelled. If you bought through an agent, he (she) will help you know when to file and when not to and there wouldn't be a risk of increasing your premiums when no claim was paid. If you bought from a lizard off of the internet, then you are probably on your own!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
The thing about insurance is their profit is based on a percentage of premiums, and premiums can only go up if they pay claims. So, in reality, they want you to file claims! As long as your claims are legit, you aren't likely to be cancelled. If you bought through an agent, he (she) will help you know when to file and when not to and there wouldn't be a risk of increasing your premiums when no claim was paid. If you bought from a lizard off of the internet, then you are probably on your own!
I agree, dr. I rarely claim but when I do it's paid without much crap.