Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-07-2014, 04:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Great Personal Values Still Exist.....

So, I may have posted this way back when, but can't remember.....

About 3 years ago, my wife had a friend and her kids visit for a long weekend. We usually get together sometime each year. Her friend was fresh off of a nasty divorce with a deadbeat, addict ex-husband. She was working her butt off to keep her house and barely making it putting food on the table and cloths on their backs....surprised the vehicle they traveled in made it here. Their weekend visit was a very inexpensive, much needed "get-away" for my wife's friend and her kids. They were the most pleasant, respectful house guests.....we had a blast....lots of swimming, taught the kids to ski, had campfires, played kick-the-can in the woods, etc.

The night before they left, my wife and I had a pillow conversation about how her friend was really struggling, working her butt off to barely make it....mind you, not on the public dole and determined not to be there. My wife wanted to help her out. My advice was give what you feel is appropriate (open checkbook from me) and don't expect any of it back. Be clear that you are helping her and it is not a loan. My wife gave her what she thought would cover a month's house payment. I will never forget the streaming tears and hug from her friend that I got before they left that Sunday....all the thanks I ever wanted.

Fast forward 3 years....my wife's friend and her kids came to visit again. Always great to have them here as they are wonderful house guests, the kids are very well behaved and respectful, and very pleasant to talk to and hang out with......especially now that they are in their teens. Their Mom has done a great job raising them, largely on her own. They just left for home this AM....last night, my wife's friend handed her an envelope with the entire $$ amount from 3 years ago. Although my wife tried to refuse it and re-iterated the original expectations, her friend was very proud to be able to give it back.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for my wife's friend and it is re-iterated each time I see them.

Not sure what to do with the envelope of cash now in my sock drawer......probably should find someone else that needs it more than we do.

They do want to come back next summer to waterski, swim and hang out with us.....I am looking forward to it

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Boat: 06 X30
You guys are beyond awesome! That's a great good news story.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
That is just awesome on both sides! Its good to see people with great moral fiber still out there. Outstanding! Both you and the friend!

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 12-07-2014, 05:26 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
That's the best story I have heard in a long while. I would either give it to someone else in need or give it to your wife's friend to give to someone in her life that needs a little help. I've done something similar recently without expectations. In my case I am 100% sure the money will not be paid back and not do I want or need it to be. Similar situation. Divorced mom raising 3 great boys. 12, 11, and 9. With a deadbeat control freak ex.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Given their ages, her kids are probably playing sports- that means buying uniforms and gear. I imagine there will be college in their futures as well. Give them a gift to help them buy books for their first year or something similar. Or use the money to buy the mom a gift- spa day or a mini vacation or some similar sort of luxury for a job very, very well done!
G
Old 12-07-2014, 11:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Awesome!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:15 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Great story on both sides! Nice work!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
What a GREAT story! What you and your wife did for this family was incredible! In a time of hearing nothing but garbage on the news, of police shootings, rioting, looting, and hate in general, this has got to be the story of the year! :wo rthy:
Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Put a smile on my face!!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Awesome story, thanks for sharing!

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S