Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-23-2015, 08:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
4 Stroke Outboard

Looking at a 2007 Bennington pontoon today with Yamaha 115hp 4 Stroke outboard, 300 hrs.

I have no experience with four stroke outboards. About the only specific thing I know to check other than general condition is engine oil. Anything else?

I am planning to bring my compression tester, but since the boat lives in a slip it may be hard to compression check on the water. I will get to water test.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 prostar 205/1985 stars&stripes
Don't know what to look for, but my aunt and uncle have a 75 HP Yamaha on theirs. Probably around a 98-2000 model. Maybe 1500 hrs, always ran perfect. Last year the charging system finally died. Other than that, they seem to be bullet proof.

Maybe also check the lube in the foot???
Old 04-23-2015, 09:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Shopping
Bennington...Good.

I'll just say my family has had a Bennington with a Yamaha 115 since they (Benningtons) first started becoming popular. We got it new in 2003. It has been hassle free other than a slight electrical problem. We've put a ton of hours on it. As long you keep oil in and power to it the Yamaha will be solid. The 115 doesn't move our big 27 footer very quick but that boat has been great and has held up and still looks nice.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
My parents want the pontoon and Dad is pretty hung up on Bennington. They seem to be the MasterCraft of pontoons and definitely command a premium in the used market.

This is only a 22ft so 115 should push it pretty well.
Yamaha outboards have a good rep, I just don't want to get one that has hidden issues!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Yamahas are bullet proof.

Just keep it oiled and most important the fuel/water separator fresh.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1976 master craft stars and stripes
My buddy has a 100 yamy on his 22foot and it moves pretty good. He tows his kids on tubes all over the lake. So far in the 2 years he has had it no problems, just changed oil ever year.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Pontoons just don't move through the water very efficiently...that as well as very often carrying a full load of bodies and coolers and they can use quite a bit of power. On the other hand, on a 'toon, you are generally cruising around.

Agree with Yamaha engines being bullet proof.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i have a honda OB on my pontoon so i can't speak to yamaha specifics. however, bennington and yamaha are both good names to have in this situation. beyond the obvious condition of the motor, you may look into when the impeller was changed and if you can pull the boat and have the time and fluid you can drain the gearbox for the lower unit. the seals go bad over time and let water into the gearbox and you'll see it in the gear oil. replacing the seals is a pretty big job as the entire lower unit has to be rebuilt. the impeller is also in the lower unit so it doesn't get changed very often as it's a pain to get to.

to me the absolute best part of an OB is the winterization. stabilize the fuel and tilt the motor down and walk away.