Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
94PS190's Avatar
94PS190 94PS190 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Boat: 94, prostar 190, 96 prostar 190..anyone wanna buy one
Location: Gravel lake, southwest MI
Posts: 219
frozen hot tub insurance advice

Sometime over the last couple of days my hot tub kicked the breaker and froze. The plumbing froze, but the tub as of this morning has not. I just got off the phone with a service guy and he thought I was probably screwed and call my insurance guy. I never would have considered a claim, but now I am. I have $1000 deductible and replacement cost ins. Anybody have any thought or advice?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2014, 02:49 PM
D3skier's Avatar
D3skier D3skier is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
Location: southeast
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94PS190 View Post
Sometime over the last couple of days my hot tub kicked the breaker and froze. The plumbing froze, but the tub as of this morning has not. I just got off the phone with a service guy and he thought I was probably screwed and call my insurance guy. I never would have considered a claim, but now I am. I have $1000 deductible and replacement cost ins. Anybody have any thought or advice?
I wouldn't call the insurance until you have a good idea of damage that has been done. If they get any wind of what has happened they might just raise you rates even if you don't file a claim.
__________________
1998 Stingray 180LX
2000 Infinity ZX-1 good riddens
2003 Prostar TT 197 sold

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 PM
02ProstarSammyD 02ProstarSammyD is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,545
Couldn't agree more. I called my insurance company about a boat issue during a storm. Ended up going through a huge amount of crap to get it straightened out and never needed to file a claim.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2014, 03:26 PM
94PS190's Avatar
94PS190 94PS190 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Boat: 94, prostar 190, 96 prostar 190..anyone wanna buy one
Location: Gravel lake, southwest MI
Posts: 219
A new tub is probably 7 or 8 grand, but not sure it's worth the deductible + risk of increase premiums + headaches. I have also heard of people being dropped for no good reason. I have only had this property and ins co. for a year.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM
02ProstarSammyD 02ProstarSammyD is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,545
I can't see where you get 7 or 8k if the tub isn't frozen. If the tub isn't frozen drain it and save the shell. Can't imagine it jacked up that much in parts. And of course the service guys says you are bent. I'd imagine you could have to replace a few pvc lines and maybe a pump if it was horrid. Get it drained asap before you really lose it though
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM
94PS190's Avatar
94PS190 94PS190 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Boat: 94, prostar 190, 96 prostar 190..anyone wanna buy one
Location: Gravel lake, southwest MI
Posts: 219
Guy told me not to drain, but to add anti-freeze. Unfrozen water is keeping water in the tub, is keeping jets and things from freezing solid. I could siphon the water out, but drains are froze. Does anyone know if I would typically be covered? The 7 or 8 is replacement cost.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM
epnault's Avatar
epnault epnault is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Location: Twin Cities and Northern WI Cabin
Posts: 592
Man I hate insurance. I have had a clean record with mine for over 10 years and (3 vehicles, 1 jet ski, 2 atvs, 1 motorcycle, 3 snowmobiles, 2 houses, 2 boats, life insurance) I make one mistake backing into my own vehicle in my driveway and they treat me like I am a repeat DUI offender and call me high risk. Insurance these days apparently isn't for using, just paying in.

Sorry for the rant I will contribute. My parents went through this with a fairly new tub and it was worth it to file a claim under your homeowners. They stated they didn't change their rates. Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Snipe's Avatar
Snipe Snipe is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Location: Three Lakes,WI/summer;Menomonee Falls,WI/winter
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
Man I hate insurance. I have had a clean record with mine for over 10 years and (3 vehicles, 1 jet ski, 2 atvs, 1 motorcycle, 3 snowmobiles, 2 houses, 2 boats, life insurance) I make one mistake backing into my own vehicle in my driveway and they treat me like I am a repeat DUI offender and call me high risk. Insurance these days apparently isn't for using, just paying in.
Truer words were never spoken.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM
drschemel's Avatar
drschemel drschemel is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 420
The thing about insurance is their profit is based on a percentage of premiums, and premiums can only go up if they pay claims. So, in reality, they want you to file claims! As long as your claims are legit, you aren't likely to be cancelled. If you bought through an agent, he (she) will help you know when to file and when not to and there wouldn't be a risk of increasing your premiums when no claim was paid. If you bought from a lizard off of the internet, then you are probably on your own!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2014, 04:55 PM
SSMoose SSMoose is online now
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Location: Southeast
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
The thing about insurance is their profit is based on a percentage of premiums, and premiums can only go up if they pay claims. So, in reality, they want you to file claims! As long as your claims are legit, you aren't likely to be cancelled. If you bought through an agent, he (she) will help you know when to file and when not to and there wouldn't be a risk of increasing your premiums when no claim was paid. If you bought from a lizard off of the internet, then you are probably on your own!
I agree, dr. I rarely claim but when I do it's paid without much crap.
__________________
Bob
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.