Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
Anyone lift back heal when skiing slalom?

So, Ive been looking as skiing videos and such trying to improve my slalom skiing. I notice that people use skies that have boots for both feet as opposed to just the front, which is what I use. My ankles arent flexible enough to have both feet down and stand in the right position on the ski (its genetic, Ive tried stretching em out) so I cant use a boot very comfortably in the back. So I use the sandal version.

Anyone else have to lift their heal while slaloming?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
I used to lift my heel, and that puts you in the wrong position (took many a header over the front). I took some lessons with the McLintocks and they forced me to use a rear boot. Along with some good instruction it made a huge difference. I didn't think I could do it either, and it was hard at first but I would never go back now. If you're skiing with your back heel raised you haven't got your weight properly balanced on the ski. If you can find someone with a double boot try it.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
More knee bend. You don't need to use a boot, the toe plate is fine as long as you feel secure. If your foot isn't flat you are not only out of position but you're putting a lot of stress on a joint that isn't getting good support, big risk of injury here.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Yes, prior post is correct if your heel come off the ski you cannot help but be in a poor position. You will be forward on your ski and you want to stay back on the ski. The worst falls in skiing are going out the front of your ski, it's simply a god way to get hurt.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

I have to clarify, I dont have my back heal up the hole time. Any time Im cutting hard im planted firmly on the ski. I did try a couple different skis with double boots, and they killed my back ankle, because I couldnt lift up. I understand biomechanically that if I bend more and sit back, I can get my heal down, but in between turns and such that would mean my butt would be way the heck over the tail. I can only get about 90 degrees of bend at my ankle, Im 23 and have the ankles of an 80 year-old.

Shouldnt my weight be centered between both feet, or maybe a little bit back? Which in turn would mean if I bent my knee more, that would put more strain on my ankle if my heal was down assuming I didnt also sit back behind the ski. Id have to be in almost a seated chair position when riding behind the boat, and Ive never seen anyone ride like that.

Im wondering if there is a more secure option for the back foot? Is there a boot out there that allows for heal lift? Heres an image I drew to illustrate what Im thinking.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 04 TT 197
You are fine. Many of the top skiers use a rear toe piece only and lift their heel when they go into the tranition after the second wake. You are right to have both feet flat during your cut though.
The important part is that you are stacked over the ski...hips over ankles, shoulders over hips.
The Goode hardshell binding system even has a heel lift option for that very reason with small springs that allow you to lift the rear heel some and still have the security of a double boot.

04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
PB 2@35 off
Previous...
96 Prostar 205 Lt1
93 Prostar 205 HO
81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsprostar View Post
You are fine. Many of the top skiers use a rear toe piece only and lift their heel when they go into the tranition after the second wake. You are right to have both feet flat during your cut though.
The important part is that you are stacked over the ski...hips over ankles, shoulders over hips.
The Goode hardshell binding system even has a heel lift option for that very reason with small springs that allow you to lift the rear heel some and still have the security of a double boot.
Thats what I was looking for, cool, I tend to slip out of the rear toe piece as the run progresses.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
I know a guy who put a "lift" in his back boot to keep his heel raised after an ankle injury. He still manages to ski 35 off.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

I have a wedge in the heal of my rear binding, more people do it than you realize.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNH2oSkier View Post
I have a wedge in the heal of my rear binding, more people do it than you realize.
If you really can't get it flat this would be a great idea. The support should eliminate the stress on the joint, reducing the likelihood of injury. Also would eliminate the need to move the foot around which is likely what caused it to come out of the toe plate.