Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Barefoot 200 w yam prov 200 & 1989 Prostar 190 w 351w and 1:1
Barefoot Boom set up to get out of chime spray 89 pro star 190

Ok so after a barefoot clinic with great results and using a different type of boat (sanger) with a starboard boom (drivers side) off the tower. I am now ready to try it again with the old mastercraft. All other previous attempts were failures and I gave up the dream of barefooting for over 10 years.So after the clinic I was pumped and ready to go. (I can do this lol)
I got the old boom out of the closet and put it back on the 89 prostar 190 on the pass side (port) for docking reasons. I do the the contured model that works on both sides.
As I was told by by barefoot trainer to put the boom up high and drag a short rope line at 25 mph. This is to check where the chime spray is. I did this and it was bad so I added a extension to the boom and a little more to the short rope line. This appeared to be ok, So I wanted to give it a try had my girfriend drive and gave it a whirl. She needs more boom driving practice to say the least. She had a hard time with the counter steering when you are dragging more than just a sack of patotoes off the boom. I was able to get on to a good butt glide but still have major chime spray off the boat in the face. I did not even try to stand up she could not even see me or my feet to give me a little more juice before I stand up.

So my question(s) are to the other Barefooters out in Mastercraft land with the older mastercraft with the jet fighter style hull (example 89 prostar 190).

1* How many boom extensions are you using to clear the chime spray??
(I think I may need a total of 2.)

2* Approx how long of rope did you add to the length of the handle??
(im using a 4 ft take off section of spectra)

3* Which side of the boat are you using the boom and why?
(pros/ cons)

4* Any driving tips for the girlfriend so she can be a better driver before she injures me.

I plan to put a add up for a driver/ skiier on here. I have one on find a footer as well.

Thank you in advance and good skiing to you all. =)

p.s.
boom in pict was low for wakeboard trainning a youth. Also check out my custom machined new ski pylon to replace the old corroded out one. now I can ski around the boat. =)
Oh and the weeds were terrible this spring.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Barefoot 200 w yam prov 200 & 1989 Prostar 190 w 351w and 1:1
Ok so after some more testing I moved the boom to the drivers side added a cipa wing mirror so the driver can see the feet of the barefooter and body positions then added on another 18 inch boom extension for a total of two BI extensions and another foot to the short rope handle lead line (4 ft lead) now keep in mind my boom pylon plate is on the floor of the boat so the boom is at max height. its over my head when on the water, This makes me a 210lb guy lighter on the water and allows me to barefoot ski at 32mph. I will add another pict of the rig set up im using when I have some more time. I have had serveral different weight and capability skiiers off this set up and everyone like it the best.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Master Craft, Stars & Stripes, 1984, 351, P.Slot
MC Boomin!

('84 SnS) I prefer PORT side mount - Counters the weight as you always have a Driver and and spotter(s) of all sizes can move around. The chine spray is worst at take off so I have pass. move to starboard(Also raises boom) once footer stands pass. can settle in for the show.

Your boom in pic looks LONG to me should be ok. short of temporarily securing some kind of LIP along the edge of the hull to redirect the spray, sounds like you have done what you can to mitigate it's impact.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

LOL - I think I skied behind that boat on Tuesday - Is that YOU Eric?!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Hookie,

Just some thoughts...check the following:

What is your speed when you are on the boom. You may be going too slow, causing spray.

Are you digging your feet in when footing? This would cause spray also but not from the boat though.

If you have a 3rd person with you when you go out, make sure that person sits on the opposite side of the boat that you have the boom on to kinda allow the boom side of the boat to be less in the water. Also, if you have gear in the boat, move that to the opposite side as well.

I have footed off your model MC and did not recall having as bad of spray as you are describing.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Some thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playing hookie Prostar 190 View Post
1* How many boom extensions are you using to clear the chime spray??
(I think I may need a total of 2.)

We use only the end extension but depending what boom you have, BF makes a center extension also that may give you what you need.

I think the standard front toe hold harness we use is considered a 5 foot line.

(pros/ cons)

We have ours on the driver's side due to the direction on the lake we have to travel.

Otherwise, when we ski with experienced footers, we have it on the passenger side...makes it easier to get in and out.

When teaching, we have our on the driver's side so it is easy to instruct.

4* Any driving tips for the girlfriend so she can be a better driver before she injures me.

Get comfortable with steering the boat under load from the boom. You have to compensate for the added weight. It won't take long but make sure she understands the amount of pull and drag that may occur.

Never turn the boat in the direction of the boom or else you will sink the boom and possibly damage your pylon. When turn in the direction oppostie of the boom, watch where the boom is so you do not hit anything.

Be cautious of your surroundings when driving with a boom...accidents can happen very quickly. Do not assume others in the water or other boats see your boom also.

Straight lines are always appreciated!

p.s.
boom in pict was low for wakeboard trainning a youth.

The boom does not have to be sky high unless you are very tall. With the boat at idle, the boom should be approximately 6 inches higher than it would be if parallel to the water. You can adjust higher if needed. You may need a height adjuster to allow you to easily adjust the height up or down.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Two things....

1st...zoom in on the pic of your GF and put it on the swimsuit thread.

2nd...I use a 5ft handle section off the boom. When instructing new footers I use a 2ft adder section, especially for taller people, 5' 10" or greater, give or take. I set the boom higher than what Rockman describes.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
Here are my suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playing hookie Prostar 190

1. How many boom extensions are you using to clear the chime spray??
-I think I may need a total of 2.

[B
I haven't used an extension...

...But, if you are getting spray, one of the culprits may be that too many people are on the same side as the boom. If the boom is on the port side, have a few people sit behind the driver's seat. That will tilt the boat and eliminate some of the spray.
[/b]

5 foot section. 4 is fine.

(pros/ cons)

I've always used the port side. I climb out of the boat when it's up to speed. Also a better side when pulling into the dock.

If you are in northern IL, you're a stone's throw away from me. I'm in East Troy and ski on Lake Beulah. I suggest you come up here and we can foot together

Driving tips...

Firm throttle up to speed. Straight lines. Never turn into the footer. Always throttle down before you make your turn.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Have driver start 20 degrees past a straight line you want to go keeping in mind the skier will always pull the boat back to them at idle speed. Compensate for the pull and she'll be fine as for the chine spray, you don't notice it at all behind the boat unless going into a strong wind lol. As previously said you might have to eat it a little until you're up to speed.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Chine Spray

I don't think your's is as bad as THIS! I'm looking for a BI Boom to extend.
Attached Images