Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 x star. 6.0l
Mind= blown

So on Saturday I'm driving my boat in the no wake zone stereo about half way up then bam the interior speakers and one set of tower speakers just shut off I'm like ***? So I turn the stereo off turn it back on and still nothing. My amps are installed in such a way that they are kind of impossible to work on without removing the amp rack. So when I get home I move the amp rack to get look at the connections. I tested both amps pos and neg checked all my grounds and tested my remote wire. Checked fuses and even tested both sides of the fuse while powered. Now I'm no dummy with electricity I'm a journey electrician I used a real multimeter. So I called zapco and told them what I just typed and they are completely baffled lol he keeps telling me it's something in the install of the boat but I've tested everything twice. I know they didn't overheat because it wasn't on that long or loud enough and I have 6 fans and a vent cut in. It's not a crossed speaker wire that doesn't explain two for different sets of speakers. So long story short I sent them to zapco but before I did I opened the top plate on both and seen zero signs of burns or arcing no funny smells or anything. Just wanted to see some of your thoughts
Old 06-27-2012, 01:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Ok lets think about this reasonably. What are the correlations between the one set of tower speakers and the interior speakers? Are they on the same amp?

Also did you check your rca connections at the head unit?
Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Did the low voltage alarm go off? I would start with charging the battery or batteries fully and then go from there.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 06-27-2012, 03:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Two separate amps only thing in common with the two is they power mids n highs

Voltage is on point 12.4v with engine off. Plus my other two amps in the same rack wired to the same distribution block work.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:58 PM
TT Regular

What about the rca's?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
What about the rca's?
I don't have RCAs they use some other connection from a audiocontrol unit.

Plus they just aren't powering up no lights whatsoever
Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM
TT Regular

Its pretty much impossible that you burned up 2 amps at the same time on the water. You say you tested the remote wire, grounds, and power at the amps themselves?

I don't doubt you are checking them correctly I would just be baffled if they came back and said the amps fried at the identical same time. And you checked the fuses on the amps themselves? Nothing is daisy chained between the amps?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Did you check the fuses in the power wires right off the battery? Ground connection nice and tight? Does the head unit still power up?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

I know it sounds funny to a lot of people and me too. I was thinking the exact same thing out on the water there's no way both amps fried at the exact same time. Everything in the boat has been checked over three times. I even bench tested them and still nothing. Zapco has had the amps now and I haven't heard anything back yet.

No daisy chain on amps all land on a block. Remote wire is only thing that is daisy chained but like I said I bench tested them and got nothing
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

So zapco is saying one amp works flawlessly lol and the other one doesn't and they don't know why yet. At the suggestion of chucktronics (the installer of the system) he had me test voltage and other things in a different way and the system still checks out fine so I dunno ****s weird