Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-29-2018, 10:58 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X20 2015
Unhappy 2015 X20 Electrical Issues Yearly

I have a 2015 X20 that I purchased new in March of 2016. It has been in the shop over and over again for electrical issues:

2016 - touch screen became unresponsive slowly over the summer. Dealership had it all winter troubleshooting the entire electrical system, and eventually replaced the touch screen.

2017 - stereo made popping noises and quit at the beginning of the season (dealership had my boat all winter). Replaced battery. I'm not sure if there was anything wrong with the radio.

2017 end of season - cruise control would not hold designated speed in a surf profile, even though engine RPM was 4K and below (i.e. lots of power available). For example, cruise was set at 11 mph, and cruise could only hold 9.6 mph. Dealership troubleshot it, and returned it "fixed."

2018 - cruise still will not hold a prescribed speed with only 4 adults and 2 small kids in the boat while attempting to surf. Captains radio control remote volume knob acting crazy. When attempting to turn the volume down, the volume goes up (sometimes). When attempting to turn the volume up, the volume goes up or down (unpredictable). After a couple hours on the water controlling the radio from the main radio control unit, the problem spread to that unit as well. Now the volume can only be controlled from the transom radio remote. I contacted the dealer a few minutes ago, and am waiting on their response.

These are only the issues that I have had relating to the electrical system. There have been other things as well. I will say that the engine and drive train has been good all around, though. Are these electrical issues common with Mastercraft boats, or did I get a lemon?

For advertising a "Warranty you won't use," I've spent a lot of time using mine over the last 2+ years. I don't think I can afford to keep this boat when the warranty expires. Anyone experience anything similar?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X20
Man that is tough. We only had one issue on our boat (which we got at the end of the 2015 season) and that was with the screen "ghosting" / changing on its own in mid-2017. We took a video of it and MC changed it our right away - no issues since. Hope you get thru all this and can enjoy the boat more!