Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-20-2015, 09:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 197
newb questions - speedo & perfect pass

Hi all:

Trying to start the troubleshooting process on the regular speedometer & perfect pass. Speedometer is not working. Most of the time it reads zero, sometimes it reads between 35-50mph, but the needle won't move (either running or not running). Last weekend I saw it slowly move from that fixed position down to zero when my girlfriend was driving, strange.

While I was cruising last weekend I turned on the perfect pass. It held the speed for about 4 seconds, and then it dropped, and then returned back to that speed, and the process would repeat itself. The perfect pass looks to be registering the correct speed.

To be honest I do not know how the speedometer system really works in the boat. I see the two small switches on the dash, but have no idea how to work them, or if they are the reason that I'm having trouble with the perfect pass/speedometer. If you guys could give me a little direction on this, maybe I could make my first action item to get the regular speedo to work, and then I can work on the perfect pass.

thanks,

kevin.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 prostar 205/1985 stars&stripes
Just need to clean the pitot at the rear of the boat to make old style speedometer work. Mine gets trash from time to time. I use a 1/16" by hand to clean out the trash. Others will chyme in on pp.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
Just need to clean the pitot at the rear of the boat to make old style speedometer work. Mine gets trash from time to time. I use a 1/16" by hand to clean out the trash. Others will chyme in on pp.
oh. I thought it was that thing next to the raw water intake screen that has those spinning fins. Didn't know it there was a pitot tube at the transom of the boat....? I don't think I ever saw one......
Old 05-21-2015, 11:07 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
oh. I thought it was that thing next to the raw water intake screen that has those spinning fins. Didn't know it there was a pitot tube at the transom of the boat....? I don't think I ever saw one......
Post up a pic. You said one regular speedometer and one pp display right? Or at least that's how I'm taking it... Regular speedo will have a pitot and the paddle wheel will be for pp. Regular speedo works from water pressure. If it's clogged, it can either retain pressure and give a false high reading. Or can also prevent from working at all.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
I think paddle wheel pickup next to the tracking fins is for the PP...

I honestly don't think there is another pickup for the speedometer. I recently spent a lot of time attempting to wet sand the hull (which was the worst idea ever), and I'm 95% sure there was no pickup off of the transom, or anywhere else under the boat.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Post up a pic. You said one regular speedometer and one pp display right? Or at least that's how I'm taking it... Regular speedo will have a pitot and the paddle wheel will be for pp. Regular speedo works from water pressure. If it's clogged, it can either retain pressure and give a false high reading. Or can also prevent from working at all.
Correct, one regular & one PP. The damn thing is in the water. I'll look under tonight it tonight when I get to the lake (don't have a lift yet), but I could have sworn there was no pitot tube.

If there was one, would it almost always be installed on the transom and pointed down under the hull?

Would there be any reason for anyone to remove a factory pitot tube upon an aftermarket installation of a PP? Looking to figure out why there wouldn't be one under there if there is a regular speedo gauge....

I'll look like a serious newb if there in fact is one under the hull.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Correct, one regular & one PP. The damn thing is in the water. I'll look under tonight it tonight when I get to the lake (don't have a lift yet), but I could have sworn there was no pitot tube.

If there was one, would it almost always be installed on the transom and pointed down under the hull?

Would there be any reason for anyone to remove a factory pitot tube upon an aftermarket installation of a PP? Looking to figure out why there wouldn't be one under there if there is a regular speedo gauge....

I'll look like a serious newb if there in fact is one under the hull.
just looked at a video of it running in the driveway. no pitot tube off of the transom.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

boom this thread.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=50186&page=4

must be the signal going the speedo. This boat's analog gauge shares PPs paddle wheel signal. So, because the PP seems to be reading the correct speed, there is likely a signal problem from the wire going from the paddle wheel to the analog speedo.

Thanks for chiming in Paco, I'll see what I can find from here. Hopefully a bad connection cause by corrosion, and it's an easy fix.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
boom this thread.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=50186&page=4

must be the signal going the speedo. This boat's analog gauge shares PPs paddle wheel signal. So, because the PP seems to be reading the correct speed, there is likely a signal problem from the wire going from the paddle wheel to the analog speedo.

Thanks for chiming in Paco, I'll see what I can find from here. Hopefully a bad connection cause by corrosion, and it's an easy fix.
Good deal, hopefully you can figure it out. I didn't know there was such a thing as a mechanical speedo working off a paddle wheel till I read the thread you posted. Hopefully just a connection, if not, you may need a new paddle wheel. It's expensive, but you could always upgrade to the GPS version pp. Eliminates the need for the wheel.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Good deal, hopefully you can figure it out. I didn't know there was such a thing as a mechanical speedo working off a paddle wheel till I read the thread you posted. Hopefully just a connection, if not, you may need a new paddle wheel. It's expensive, but you could always upgrade to the GPS version pp. Eliminates the need for the wheel.
I thought the paddle wheel rebuild kit was only like 25 bucks? The gps thing has my attention for sure.

The speedo on the perfect pass seemed to be working so I think the paddle wheel is Ok.