89 TriStar Barefooter
91 ProStar
90 TriStar (Current)
Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
thank you for responding. i may have missed it but what year is your touareg?
I have a 2011 TDI Lux model with the sadle brown interior.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
well after we went to the lake yesterday we went and test drove a new touraeg tdi. all i can say is i was really impressed with the power it has. was a little shocked at the sticker price. granted the one i drove was a executive model.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Xstar 08 MCX
Quote:
rover's are great looking suv's! please don't take this wrong but you might be the first person i have ever heard of with 0 issues!
I have an 05 Land Rover LR3 also. No issues with mine either with 79,000 miles so far. Pulls the XStar effortlessly, and the ride is luxurious.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
... with my Toyotas until they prove me wrong. Between me and my wife I'm on my 4th Toyota SUV in the last 15 years and the only true repair I've had to make is an antenna motor died. Everything else has been normal "consumables" like timing belts and preventative maintenance.
I have read this alot about Toyotas.

The truck I lust for right now is a Land Cruiser.

Always driven German cars exclusively, but for some reason I am jonesing for a LC. I would settle for a loaded Sequoia, but wife insists on a Lexus GX470. So maybe that will be the next boat / kid / ski / do anything hauler.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
well after we went to the lake yesterday we went and test drove a new touraeg tdi. all i can say is i was really impressed with the power it has. was a little shocked at the sticker price. granted the one i drove was a executive model.
The lux model is about 5000 less. You loose push button start, touch unlock if you have the key near, stereo upgrade, and 20" wheels.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
I have read this alot about Toyotas.

The truck I lust for right now is a Land Cruiser.

Always driven German cars exclusively, but for some reason I am jonesing for a LC. I would settle for a loaded Sequoia, but wife insists on a Lexus GX470. So maybe that will be the next boat / kid / ski / do anything hauler.
My last two cars have been Land Cruisers and my wife's current car is a Sequoia, both of us on 2007 vintage right now. I've test driven the newer body style Sequoia but not the newer LC. As tow cars, the ones with the 4.7L engine (the cheaper models of the current Sequoias and both models before at least 2008) are passable but suffer on hills due to low torque. The newer models with the 5.7L are supposed to be great at towing, but I haven't pulled anything with them myself. Compared to the LC, the Sequoia is much more affordable and is a better kid hauler if you at least occasionally use the third row of seats, but the LC feels better driving - smoother ride and more luxurious feel. I've test driven the newer body style Sequoia but not the current model LC/Lexus.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices... whichever fits your needs best I'm sure will turn out to be a great car.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Back in the day, I towed with a old International Scout and big ol' Caddy. More recently I've used an E-350 Sportsmobile and currently a D-Max Dually. A D-Max dually is overkill, but you never have to worry about nada. The best all around hauler was probably the Sportsmobile. Having the ability to stow/carry a lot of gear securely in a big Ford diesel van was really nice. The best hauler for hauling's sake I've had is definitely the dually. I can tow all day long and then some. I've towed stuff with my former 4Runners and Land Cruiser, but nothing quite as heavy as a boat (although a horse trailer with a pair of those beasts weighs pretty close). The Toys really weren't the right tool. Toyota for driving, 'merican for hauling, in my opinion.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, 215V, 2006, 5.7ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
First of all, thanks for all the responses. And now as far as more details go, right now I haul the boat (about 6500lb i think) 2-3 times a month on a trip ranging from 30-60 miles and I plan on taking it about 4 times a year on a trip about 200 miles down the road so I could see hauling about 1000 miles a year. The terrain here is not Colorado mountainous by any means but I do live in the Ozarks so it gets pretty hilly at times. I don't have any kids that I know of so back seat room really isn't an issue at this time.

And as far as why I'm even considering trading, I have these concerns....1. Trade it now because after 100K miles resale value typically takes a huge hit. 2. If I keep it, I can see having to plug about $2,500 into the 4runner in the not so distant future (new tires, 90K mile service, recommended transmission cooler, weight distribution hitch), whereas if I bought new, this $2500 could go directly into a vehicle already possessing or not needing these things. I love my Toyota and never thought I would even think about another brand, but I'm just not sure the Tundra has the proven track record of the other brands but it doesn't mean I can't be persuaded otherwise. One thing is for sure, I definitely don't want to hurt my 4runner and sometimes I'm afraid I may be overdoing it hauling something this heavy. Anyway, those are the things that have me weighing my options.

Yes it most certainly does. I live in Fayetteville and am a Razorback fan through and through. WPS!!!
What year did you graduate?
I graduated U of A in 2010, how about you? I live in Little Rock now. But I work in NWA and Oklahoma a lot. I'd be glad to let you hook your boat to my 6.2l GMC to let you see how it pulls when I'm up there.

I see a few people here are saying go for the 5.7l toyota's. I would be very careful here, they are having issues getting over 12-13 mpgs not pulling anything.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadrubi View Post
I graduated U of A in 2010, how about you? I live in Little Rock now. But I work in NWA and Oklahoma a lot. I'd be glad to let you hook your boat to my 6.2l GMC to let you see how it pulls when I'm up there.

I see a few people here are saying go for the 5.7l toyota's. I would be very careful here, they are having issues getting over 12-13 mpgs not pulling anything.
Yeah the mpg on the Toyota's does scare me a bit. I graduated a couple of times .. Last time in 2010. I've been in NWA the past 10 years and really don't see leaving if I have a choice.