Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
I have a 2004 VW Touareg V8 that I use to tow my Prostar 209 and I love it. This thing tow's better then the 1998 Dodge Dakota v8 or the Chevy silverado I had.
I have the air suspension that raises and levels the car.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
around a $1000 for the timing belt, water pump and fluids. on my sequoia it was going to run another $400 for tranny along with $350 brakes and $1400.00 for tires.
Yeah, that's why I was estimating at least $2500 -3000 for everything. Kind of hard not to think about a new ride when it gets to this point.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft maristar 225 1993 Lt-1
Here's an odd recommendation as most would say stay away from British, however I have had ZERO problems with my 2005 Land Rover LR3 and currently have over 100k on the odometer. Paint and interior still like new. It has a 7700lb towing capacity, and pulls my 22 and a half foot maristar with full tank of gas with no real problems. Has a ford/jaguar sourced AJ series v8, with a bulletproof ZF 6 speed. Of course gas mileage suffers to 10-11 towing, but it has automatic leveling suspension on all four corners so the boat always stay's level, and is extremely comfortable and quiet. Just my $.02
Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
rover's are great looking suv's! please don't take this wrong but you might be the first person i have ever heard of with 0 issues!

my old neighbor who is now head fb coach at arizonia state had a freebie 05 when he was a asst at univ of tulsa and that thing was in the shop all the time. my other neighbor had a range rover sport and same thing. again love the looks of them.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
Quote:
i have been debating on going with either a audi q7 tdi or a touareg tdi as azx9 recommended. found a nice 09 q7 with low miles but concerned about realibity. also like the touareg but would want a 2011.

maybe azx9 will chime in on this part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Still hoping he responds as well. He has my interest peaked with the touareg.
2010 models have the older body style and have an air suspension for raising the clearance and off roading (street tires of course). They also have a self leveling rear end I believe.

2011+ newer body style interior and out and I believe a little longer wheel base but I'm not sure. Simple spring suspension with no self leveling. The Touareg's carry a 100,000 mile drive train warranty unlike the other VW models. They have a 36,000 mile maintenance coverage covering all scheduled maintenance. This is not a Mexico made VW These are made in slovakia in the same factory and line as the Q7 and Porsche Cheyene. The fit and finish of the Tourareg is well above the other VW models and is in my opinion just as nice as the wife's Audi A4 it replaced. We looked at the Q7 and other than a few upgrades it's close in "niceness". We have about 21,000 miles with not one issue. Most seem to have a factory hitch ordered but not all. If you drive one of these you will quickly fall in love with it when your but sinks in when the turbo kicks in. Its got 406 ft pounds of tourque. As a comparison my Cummins had 555 with twice the displacement. You'll be hooked. Make sure you buy it with the hitch. There really is no option for aftermarket hitches and the wiring is made to accommodate other country's lighting rules so it has to be programmed to USA configurations. Mine didn't have a factory hitch and eight pin wiring harness. I insisted it had to have it be fore I bought it. The dealer agreed before he found out that after the fact the hitch and parts were hella expensive. They ended up pulling them off of another car on the lot. So far (knock on teak) the wife has not put gasoline in it yet like she did to my truck. Ask any questions, I love my Touareg and will be happy to expand on info.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
Quote:
rover's are great looking suv's! please don't take this wrong but you might be the first person i have ever heard of with 0 issues!

my old neighbor who is now head fb coach at arizonia state had a freebie 05 when he was a asst at univ of tulsa and that thing was in the shop all the time. my other neighbor had a range rover sport and same thing. again love the looks of them.
I had a 97 Disco that was a blast to off road in but it had a ton of issues all the time. Good thing was it was all under warranty other than the last issue i had. Was at a Dairy Queen drive through and put the window down. It wouldn't go back up, and it was winter. I had to ***** and speek with the dealerships head president to get it fixed at no cost to me. They have of course been owned by BMW then FORD and now Some Indian company. At a recent offroad event I attended with my son they sponsored an off road obstacle course and let people drive new vehicles. During the drive the employee acknowledged issues of the past and indicated the company was working hard to improve quality. He sited that a local area dealer was able to cut the incoming warranty and other repairs over the last few years by over half. I do love the Rangerover but can't afford one.

Last edited by AZX9; 06-27-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft maristar 225 1993 Lt-1
Quote:

I understand, people thought I was nuts buying a land rover let alone a first year lr3 (2005 model year). But I took the risk and glad I did, I know they are problem prone, I might have gotten lucky (knocking on wood)..... But 7 years and 103000 no issues of course I do all maintenance including the front and rear differential fluids, plugs, etc......And yes they are now owned by Tata makers of the worlds cheapest car....the tata nano
Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZX9 View Post
2010 models have the older body style and have an air suspension for raising the clearance and off roading (street tires of course). They also have a self leveling rear end I believe.

2011+ newer body style interior and out and I believe a little longer wheel base but I'm not sure. Simple spring suspension with no self leveling. The Touareg's carry a 100,000 mile drive train warranty unlike the other VW models. They have a 36,000 mile maintenance coverage covering all scheduled maintenance. This is not a Mexico made VW These are made in slovakia in the same factory and line as the Q7 and Porsche Cheyene. The fit and finish of the Tourareg is well above the other VW models and is in my opinion just as nice as the wife's Audi A4 it replaced. We looked at the Q7 and other than a few upgrades it's close in "niceness". We have about 21,000 miles with not one issue. Most seem to have a factory hitch ordered but not all. If you drive one of these you will quickly fall in love with it when your but sinks in when the turbo kicks in. Its got 406 ft pounds of tourque. As a comparison my Cummins had 555 with twice the displacement. You'll be hooked. Make sure you buy it with the hitch. There really is no option for aftermarket hitches and the wiring is made to accommodate other country's lighting rules so it has to be programmed to USA configurations. Mine didn't have a factory hitch and eight pin wiring harness. I insisted it had to have it be fore I bought it. The dealer agreed before he found out that after the fact the hitch and parts were hella expensive. They ended up pulling them off of another car on the lot. So far (knock on teak) the wife has not put gasoline in it yet like she did to my truck. Ask any questions, I love my Touareg and will be happy to expand on info.
thank you for responding. i may have missed it but what year is your touareg?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
For any of you guys considering a new F150 ecoboost, do yourself a favor. Do not buy one until you can test drive it while pulling your boat. These trucks are extremely hit and miss. Lots of guys say how great they are but mine is absolutely awful, especially when pulling anything. Yes it pulls my boat like its not there, but getting 11 mpg pulling a prostar 205 is pretty bad. My 09 GMC with the 6.2L engine and 33" tires got consistently better mileage.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt14me View Post
I understand, people thought I was nuts buying a land rover let alone a first year lr3 (2005 model year). But I took the risk and glad I did, I know they are problem prone, I might have gotten lucky (knocking on wood)..... But 7 years and 103000 no issues of course I do all maintenance including the front and rear differential fluids, plugs, etc......And yes they are now owned by Tata makers of the worlds cheapest car....the tata nano
This is consistent with what I've witnessed with friends who have owned LRs. The majority have some problems, a few have zero problems, and a few are absolutely awful. Very inconsistent. Unfortunate, because the styling and "feel" is maybe best in class... But I wouldn't buy one even if they were less expensive than other choices.

I value my time and effort too much to deal with problems. I'll stick with my Toyotas until they prove me wrong. Between me and my wife I'm on my 4th Toyota SUV in the last 15 years and the only true repair I've had to make is an antenna motor died. Everything else has been normal "consumables" like timing belts and preventative maintenance.