Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Looking for a new towing vehicle

Hey, guys. I'm thinking of maybe purchasing a new towing vehicle for my Maristar 230. Right now I have a 2004 4runner with 235 hp V8 and 320 lb-ft of torque at 3400 rpm. It's getting close to 90K miles and never had an issue, but it's going to need a new set of tires soon and the 90K mile service is going to run about $1K. Thus, I'm thinking of trading it in and possibly getting something that offers better towing capability.

I know there is a "show your rig" thread but I was really hoping to get honest, open opinions on all of you who drive and tow with possible replacement vehicles (Ford F150, Toyota Tundra, Chevy Tahoe or Silverado)? Also, how well has your vehicle held up for you or what have you had to do to it over the life of the vehicle? I have read review sites, but wanted to hear from real owners with 1st hand experience.

I feel blessed that the 4runner has never given me any issues except for routine maintenance and I hate to see her go but I'm just not sure it's the right vehicle to keep towing my boat with.

Thanks and I'll hang up and listen.

Last edited by Hogwild; 06-25-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
For pickups, it's hard to beat the new F-150 with the Eco-boost engine. I don't own one myself, but 2 of my friends have them (one guy is a Ford master tech) and they love the way they drive and tow. Torque that rivals the diesels, 18-19 mpg back and forth to work and even better highway mpg.

Late 2013 (2014 models) GM is changing the pickups and suburbans, plus word is the new engine will have close to 400 hp. I'm waiting.

Also, late 2013 (2014 model) the Ford Expedition is scheduled for a facelift, with the possibility of the Eco-boost engine available in it too. I'm waiting.

If you're shopping used, it's hard to beat the '07-current Tahoe/Suburban/ 1/2 ton GM trucks. I have an '07 Suburban 5.3 liter and it's a good driver. Gets 17-18 mpg highway solo, 13.5 mpg towing my prostar on the highway, but only 10 mpg towing the X-star. Not a ton of power but it gets the job done....for now
Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, 215V, 2006, 5.7ls
Vehicles I have used to tow my maristar 215.

07 dodge mega cab 5.9 cummins
08 silverado z71 5.3l 4 spd transmission
2010 dodge hemi half ton (new body style)
2011 GMC sierra 4x4 6.2l 6 spd.

Diesel obviously had the best capability towing. The worse was hte silverado with the 5.3 and 4 spd. The best truck I have towed with yet was the dodge half ton, of the gas engines. It was a great truck fit and finish, extremely smooth riding, and great mileage. Pulled the boat great! 18 or so 50/50 hwy and city driving. around 10-11 towing.

My current rig is the 6.2l sierra and it tows it fine. Just don't like it as much as I did the dodge half ton. The dodge's ride was much better, gas mileage was better empty and towing, and truck was a little better fit and finsih. Yes, I was as shocked as anyone else to see dodge finally getting it together with the fit and finish.

I have a keen interest on the eco boost motor fords. I was trying to get one hard when I bought my sierra, but they were just coming out and not willing to negotiate. I will possibly be enertaining getting one next year. The reviews of MPG are iffy right now. Some guys are swearing by 22 and some swear they cant get better than 15. I have honest and trust worthy friends that know vehicles that are both sides of the spectrum. If someone could guarantee me 20 out of truck on the hwy with that power I'd own one tomorrow.

Hogwild, your screen name anything to do with the razorbacks? If so where do you live? I am from Arkansas and graduated from the U of A.

Last edited by onebadrubi; 06-25-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: adding something
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X45 - 8.1
Onebadrubi,

I'm a GM guy through and through. My tow rigs (for my X-45) have gone from an '02 Escalade (6.0) to an '02 Suburban (5.3L), now to an '05 Escalade ESV (6.0L). When my rig isn't available (wife is toting kids around), I have my buddy pull it with his Tahoe. The trucks have never let us down and the longer wheelbase in the 'burb and Escalade is quite helpful when pulling long distances in variable conditions. I will say that I am a bit slower over mountain passes with the 5.3L, for obvious reasons, and when my Suburban ventured above 175,000 miles this spring I knew it was time to move on.

My vote is GM, but then again I am biased.

BMcD
'06 8.1L X45

Day1 Wakesurfers
Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
You'd need to give more specifics like budget, where and how you tow (hills, long or short distances, etc) and other needs for your truck (seating capacity, do you need it to be a p/u) to get a more tailored recommendation.

I've always been a Toyota guy myself. They cost more up front for sure... Tend to hold resale value much better than GM or Ford, so arguably you get your money back, or at least thats the argument i always use with my wife to justify why I bought the more expensive car. It does seem to be born out by my experiences versus friends who bought GM and Ford, but maybe it's luck or I take better care of my cars than they do. My experience is similar to yours with your 4Runner that they have been extremely reliable.

The other knock I'll give Toyota is that at least until the 5.8L engine they put in the newer Tundra, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser they really weren't a great tow car. The engines are wonderfully smooth and quiet for normal or even off road use but weren't blessed with much torque to tow heavy loads. I've heard good things about the 5.8L engine but have not towed with one myself, just test drives.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X-15
I have 2010 Toyota Sequoia towing my X-15. It has the 5.7L and tows it perfectly. The Crew Max Tundra works great as well if you stay with Toyota. You weren't lucky with your 4runner. To never have a problem out of a 4Runner is normal.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 78 S&S, 04 Pro 209
I prefer 3/4 ton for all the right reasons - the DuroMax 2500 Crew.
I keep looking the 2500 series Suburban - one of these days.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 02 ProStar 197TT "Caddy H2O" & 1980 MC Stars & Stripes, "Boss Hoss"
Like Kgrove said, we need to know what your budget is, towing distance, terrain, etc. I have towed 2 miles to 2,000 miles with 1/2 ton to 1 ton and everything inbetween. My vote is a 3/4 ton Diesel. More power than you know what to do with, no embarassing moments at the ramp because you cant pull the trailer up, seen that quite often... Great mileage for pulling, I get 18-20 pulling my 197, of course there is nothing stock with my engine either. That is another plus if your a gear head, diesels are relatively easy to get more out of.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
If your 4Runner has not caused you any issues, why would you change from Toyota? I would look at the Sequoia or Tundra. I drive a Tundra Crewmax Platinum and love it.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: prostar 205 2000
I have a Dodge 5.9L 2500 diesel - 24 mpg overall(not towing), but I do have a manual transmission unlike most. 18-20 when towing a prostar, 16 when pulling 10000 lbs of camper. 610 lbs of torque with no mods, I'm sure the new models are all better than my 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejdgreen View Post
Like Kgrove said, we need to know what your budget is, towing distance, terrain, etc. I have towed 2 miles to 2,000 miles with 1/2 ton to 1 ton and everything inbetween. My vote is a 3/4 ton Diesel. More power than you know what to do with, no embarassing moments at the ramp because you cant pull the trailer up, seen that quite often... Great mileage for pulling, I get 18-20 pulling my 197, of course there is nothing stock with my engine either. That is another plus if your a gear head, diesels are relatively easy to get more out of.