Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-23-2012, 04:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Reliable to UFP actuator conversion

My '08 trailer has a Reliable actuator (Reliable the brand name as the actuator is anything but reliable in function). It's been causing me problems and apparently parts aren't available for it any longer so I need to convert it over to a UFP actuator. Has anyone had this done to shed some light on this, especially what it cost?

I know the swing-out tongue will either have to be replaced or heavily modified to accept the UFP... That will mean parts, metal work, and repainting. I know the UFP actuator itself should be somewhere around $150-200. What did it end up costing in total? How long should I plan on the trailer being out of commission?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I have an 07 that's been good so far but based on what I've heard on this board we all may be in need one day. I would suspect the easiest DYI path would be to purchase the swing arm shell from the dealer and the rest of the parts from the web. Then install everything yourself. It should be pretty straight forward assembly with bleeding the brakes about the hardest part of the installation.

I would think the dealer should be able to get the swing arm just don't don't the cost there. You'll also have to get paint from the dealer or have some mixed to match.

I've found finding places that sell the UFP actuator can even be challenging. The last time I needed parts I used a place called Waymire.....

http://waymires.net/index.php?main_p...&cPath=3_45_46
Old 06-24-2012, 11:35 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC X10 02 Indemar
Who is the manufacturer of the trailer? I have an 02 X10 that came on a Pacific Trailer made for MC. It had a UFP actuator that I just replaced and was a pretty easy job to do. The actuator (A-60 for 2 axle, 4 disc set up) was $159 from PT in Newark, CA. They are also in Chino, CA
Old 06-24-2012, 11:50 AM
MC Fanatic

It's a standard '08 MC trailer for an X15. I've been told the swing arms are not the same and will require modification to fit. There is no way I can do the work myself. Aside from time, I would never feel safe using something I built.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
It's a quick job. Just find a good welder to cut off the current actuator and weld in the new UFP.

Check this thread...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=swing+tongue
Old 06-24-2012, 05:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Doing this right now. Bought the UFP actuator and sleeve from an online trailer place. The old swing away tongue just needs the top and bottom plates cut off and welded up to the new sleeve. I'm letting my machine shop do it, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do it yourself if you've got welding experience. My trailer is galvanized so the paint is pretty easy for me. My guess is that a machine shop would have about 3 hours into the cutting and welding. I won't be putting my boat in until the 4th and then I'll have the rest of the summer to bleed the brakes.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
Doing this right now. Bought the UFP actuator and sleeve from an online trailer place. The old swing away tongue just needs the top and bottom plates cut off and welded up to the new sleeve. I'm letting my machine shop do it, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do it yourself if you've got welding experience. My trailer is galvanized so the paint is pretty easy for me. My guess is that a machine shop would have about 3 hours into the cutting and welding. I won't be putting my boat in until the 4th and then I'll have the rest of the summer to bleed the brakes.
Sounds like exactly what I need to do. What did the tongue and actuator cost you? What is the machine shop charging? Can they do this with the boat still on the trailer or do you have a home for the boat in the meantime? I'll also have to line up paint plus have somebody reconnect the brakes, bleed the lines, etc.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
Sounds like exactly what I need to do. What did the tongue and actuator cost you? What is the machine shop charging? Can they do this with the boat still on the trailer or do you have a home for the boat in the meantime? I'll also have to line up paint plus have somebody reconnect the brakes, bleed the lines, etc.
It was $181 for the sleeve and actuator from http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/ (they were doing a 10% off at the time). Not sure about the machine shop-I'll have to ask what he'd charge to do it (He does a lot of work for my business so most of the time on stuff like this he doesn't charge or under charges me). My boat is on the trailer right now. I took the swing away tongue off and took it to the machine shop along with the new sleeve. The problem with doing it this way is that you aren't using the boat until the welding gets done. I'm going to stop by tomorrow and see if its ready. I'll post a picture of it when I get it back.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:50 PM
MC Fanatic

So I picked it up from the machine shop today. He messed up and switched the top and bottom pieces, but it shouldn't make any difference in function. Bob said he had an hour and a half into it and would charge $150 to do it for some one off the street. I won't put it back on the trailer for another week.
Here is a quick picture:
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340833820.732631.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  27.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
OK so if Reliable is out of business and MasterCraft is still making trailers who's actuators are they using? Did they change the design for the swing away tongue? If not you should be able to buy a new actuator from MC and just pull the pins and put the new one on. You'd have to bleed the brakes but that should be about it. Anyone seen the trailers since Reliable went out? Any dealers want to chime in?

Jim@BAWS any insight on this?